PDA

View Full Version : I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration

tazman
08-08-2019, 07:57 PM
I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration before. S&W model 19-2 round butt 6 inch barrel.
All original. No box. Condition appears to be around 95%+. Not even showing a cylinder ring unless you look really close.
It can't have been shot much at all. Everything is really tight as far as the lockup and cylinder gap.
I have never seen a round butt model 19 before.
He also had a model 17-2 with 6 inch barrel that looked not quite as good as the 19.
I had gone in there to trade for a different handgun but ended up trading for the 19. I have been looking for one of these for 10 years but could never find one I could buy at any kind of reasonable price.

Winger Ed.
08-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Never heard of that.
But I looked it up and they say all #19s made after 1996 are round butt.
You can get square butt grips to convert it back, but not grips to go from square to round.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2019, 08:21 PM
Could it be a round butt model 19-2 that was re-barreled and re-blued?

Perhaps it started life as a 2.5" barrel Model 19?

tazman
08-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Looks like this one was made in 1963-1965 from what I can find out. I didn't get the serial number so can't get closer at this time.
I have never shot a K frame with a round butt so I will give this a try before I do anything to it. I may put a set of Pachmayr grips on it if I do anything. Those are my go to grip for k frame revolvers.
Either presentation or gripper.

ddixie884
08-08-2019, 08:35 PM
You will like that rnd butt K-frame....................

tazman
08-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Could it be a round butt model 19-2 that was re-barreled and re-blued?

Perhaps it started life as a 2.5" barrel Model 19?

That is certainly possible. I don't have enough background on the weapon yet to tell for sure.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Regardless of how it came to possess that 6" barrel (at the factory or later in life) it's still a great gun.
I have shot many round butt K-frames and they are fine guns. The Round Butt configuration was/is favored for concealment because it breaks up that sharp corner at the back of the grip. Full size, Square butt grips are nice when you are dealing with a duty gun or a target gun but the round butt models are not difficult to shoot IMO.
In any event, if the grip doesn't work for you, it's no big deal to convert it to a larger square butt pattern. As stated in a prior post, all modern S&W revolvers are round butt configuration and the style is selected by which grip is installed.

My gut feeling is the gun was originally fitted with a shorter barrel. A factory letter would end all doubt but why pay that money for a letter? If it doesn't work for you, simply change the grips.

tazman
08-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Regardless of how it came to possess that 6" barrel (at the factory or later in life) it's still a great gun.
I have shot many round butt K-frames and they are fine guns. The Round Butt configuration was/is favored for concealment because it breaks up that sharp corner at the back of the grip. Full size, Square butt grips are nice when you are dealing with a duty gun or a target gun but the round butt models are not difficult to shoot IMO.
In any event, if the grip doesn't work for you, it's no big deal to convert it to a larger square butt pattern. As stated in a prior post, all modern S&W revolvers are round butt configuration and the style is selected by which grip is installed.

My gut feeling is the gun was originally fitted with a shorter barrel. A factory letter would end all doubt but why pay that money for a letter? If it doesn't work for you, simply change the grips.

That last sentence is why buying the gun didn't even raise a question for me. The trigger on this one is excellent in both double and single action. It doesn't feel lightened, just very smooth. I may need to find out who the previous owner was and give him a call to get the history.

ShooterAZ
08-08-2019, 09:09 PM
I have a more than a few of S&W round butt revolvers, and on four of mine I have changed over to the square butt target conversion from Altamont. The Olivewood Roper style grip is my choice, if you don't like the round butt style. These grips are a true work of art, and improve the shootability on certain guns, at least for me anyway. Click on the K/L round to see the conversion grips.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/k-round/

tazman
08-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Those are some beautiful grips. Real art work.

reddog81
08-08-2019, 11:58 PM
A 19-2 round but with 6” barrel is certainly an odd duck. Easy to conceal grip frame with a six inch barrel...

Ramp front sight or Partridge? Target trigger or hammer?

gnostic
08-09-2019, 12:30 AM
I came across a revolver I have never seen in this configuration before. S&W model 19-2 round butt 6 inch barrel.
All original. No box. Condition appears to be around 95%+. Not even showing a cylinder ring unless you look really close.
It can't have been shot much at all. Everything is really tight as far as the lockup and cylinder gap.
I have never seen a round butt model 19 before.
He also had a model 17-2 with 6 inch barrel that looked not quite as good as the 19.
I had gone in there to trade for a different handgun but ended up trading for the 19. I have been looking for one of these for 10 years but could never find one I could buy at any kind of reasonable price.

I have a model 19 round butt 2.5" with a matt finish and mother of pearl grips. I bought it new from Turners in LA. The story goes that it was designed for the postal inspector and was an over run. I added the grips, It fits my hand like it was made for me. It points and shoots where i'm looking...

stubshaft
08-09-2019, 03:40 AM
My very first pistol was a model 19 Combat Masterpiece bought in the mid 60's. Round butt 2.5" barrel.

mattw
08-09-2019, 11:07 AM
I go out of my way on all S&W revolvers to end up with a little round butt. For my smallish hands this is the perfect fit. Would be a wonderful shooter!

gpidaho
08-09-2019, 11:43 AM
^^^^^Yes, a little round butt is always nice. Gp

376Steyr
08-09-2019, 12:36 PM
I have a set of guide plates sitting in a box someplace that are supposed to be used for converting square butts to round butts. Check the bottom of the grip. If this wondrous pistol was created by grinding off the edges of a square grip frame, and the number on the bottom of the grip was defaced in the process, you may have a problem.

Larry Gibson
08-09-2019, 02:45 PM
I have a model 19 round butt 2.5" with a matt finish and mother of pearl grips. I bought it new from Turners in LA. The story goes that it was designed for the postal inspector and was an over run. I added the grips, It fits my hand like it was made for me. It points and shoots where i'm looking...

I also have one I purchased back in the early/mid '90s. It has an exceptionally smooth action, matt finish, Pachmyers grips wide smooth target trigger and target hammer. It was said to be an over run for the federal air marshals and since two air marshals showed me their identical issue revolvers I believe it.

tazman
08-09-2019, 10:10 PM
I must apologize. I misread the model. My only excuse is old eyes and/or poor lighting.
The revolver is a 19-7. The nearest I can tell to a proper manufacture date without a serial number lookup is 1995. In 1995 all were made with round butt and in 1996 they stopped making the 6 inch barrel.I suppose it might be a 1994 since that is when the 19-7 started production but it was unlikely to be a round butt with a 6 inch barrel.
Anyway, here is a picture of the revolver for your viewing pleasure. All the shiny/silver spots on the gun are reflections from the lights in the shop.

First part of serial number is CAN87xx

gnostic
08-09-2019, 11:55 PM
I also have one I purchased back in the early/mid '90s. It has an exceptionally smooth action, matt finish, Pachmyers grips wide smooth target trigger and target hammer. It was said to be an over run for the federal air marshals and since two air marshals showed me their identical issue revolvers I believe it.

That's the same gun as mine, hammer and trigger etc, I bought this revolver in the mid nineties. You don't see matt finished S&W's everyday...

Wheelgun
08-10-2019, 01:31 AM
Those are some very nice revolvers. Round butt Smith’s are my favorite DA grip, I have round butt J & K frames and did have round N frames. Love them all.

Catshooter
08-10-2019, 01:42 AM
Smith has made a lot of odd ducks down the years. I've seen a three inch fixed sight round butt model 19 .357 in blue. Very limited run.

Cat

tazman
08-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Smith has made a lot of odd ducks down the years. I've seen a three inch fixed sight round butt model 19 .357 in blue. Very limited run.

Cat

That would be a very interesting revolver.

Tatume
08-10-2019, 10:04 AM
As stated in a prior post, all modern S&W revolvers are round butt configuration and the style is selected by which grip is installed.

S&W still makes square butt revolvers, Model 17 & Model 25 for instance.

Drm50
08-10-2019, 10:20 AM
I own quite a few S&W revolvers. I only deal in the older models of P&R period or older. I don't have a round butt in any model but there are many grips on the market today that fit RB or SB. I have small hands and RB
doesn't work for me. I have S&W target grips that originally came on guns stored away. They are to wide/ thick for me and Magnas with grip adapters felt good. So I bought S&W targets that were beat up and sanded them down for thickness. It comes out the same as Magnas with adapters for grip and looks better. They lack checkering but that's not one of my skills. I don't shoot DA anyway so it isn't a issue.

onelight
08-10-2019, 10:29 AM
That sounds like a great find , Good for you Tazman !
I like both grip shapes actually prefer the round but if I have to adjust my grip after every shot I start looking for a fix depending on my use for the gun . ( single actions excepted )

Jtarm
08-10-2019, 11:01 AM
The CAN prefix dates it to 1996.

I’m not one for safe queens but I’d be hesitant to shoot it. That’s a pretty unusual configuration.

6” was discontinued that same year, and synthetic grips had become standard 2 years prior. That doesn’t mean the grips aren’t original, they often run off parts after changing standards.

Is that the box in the picture? 96 is also the year they started shipping in the blue foam padded box.

If it were mine, I might get it lettered. I don’t think there could’ve been many 6” RB guns with the banana target grips.

tazman
08-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the date of manufacture confirmation. I couldn't find anything online other than the listing of details on Wikipedia which is where I came up with the 1995 number.
I don't think I am getting a box with it, unfortunately.
One of the things I like about it is those wood grips. They have an entirely different feel to them than the synthetic have.
I AM going to shoot it. That is why I got it. I don't keep safe queens.
I agree about it being unusual. I have never seen one configured this way.

FergusonTO35
08-12-2019, 11:56 AM
The Pachmayr Compac Pro is the PERFECT revolver grip for me. I so wish they made it for other guns!

tazman
08-12-2019, 02:50 PM
I made it to the range today and the model 19 performed just as you would expect. I put a set of Pachmayr gripper grips on it I had left over from a square butt years ago. The pin at the bottom of the grip frame fit perfectly in the hole in the grips and held them tightly on the gun.
I ran several different loads through the gun and all shot well with one doing somewhat better. That load was 5.0 of CFE pistol with a Lyman 358432. That one shot 2-2.5 inch groups at 12 yards for me offhand. That is as good as I do with anything.
This model 19 is just as accurate as my Target Masterpiece.
Some day I need to develop a rest and a good technique with it to actually see what the guns are capable of. I know they can do better than I shoot them.