PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Twist ???

Theditchman
08-08-2019, 12:03 PM
How can I check the twist of a Barrel

FrontierMuzzleloading
08-08-2019, 12:13 PM
On a Clean Barrel, push a snug Oiled Patched Jag in to the breech.
Take a piece of electrical tape or masking tape & tape around the rod at the muzzle, bring the two edges of the tape up & pinch together, making a Flag at the 12 o’clock position.

Now slowly pull the rod out (letting the rod rotate) til the flag is exactly at 3 o’clock position.
Measure the distance from the muzzle up to the Flag.

If you pulled it out 12″, take the 12″ times the 4 (as you did 1/4th rotation) = 48, you have a 1 in 48 twist.

If it came out 15″, 15 x 4 = 60, you have a 1-60 twist.

16.5″ is a 1-66 twist

17.5 is a 1-70 twist.

pietro
08-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Some muzzleloading barrel makers stamp the twist rate into the barrel somewhere - usually in the underside of the barrel, where it isn't visible when the barrel's seated in the stock.

(K.I.S.S. principle :drinks: )

oldracer
08-08-2019, 02:28 PM
The above post is pretty spot on with checking. My addition would be to mark a line down the middle of the cleaning rod then mark 1 inch lines all along it. I ended up using my "measuring rod" just for twist rate checking. Note if something looks a little strange you could have a gain twist barrel. I that case you would have to measure from both ends usually causing you to pull the breech plug and go both ways. For example I have a Ron Smith barrel that has 1 in 20 at the breech and 1 in 12 at the muzzle and until I checked both ways that drove me crazy! Make sure to have a tight patch and pull carefully insuring the rod turns easily.
John

Buzzard II
08-08-2019, 03:46 PM
On a Clean Barrel, push a snug Oiled Patched Jag in to the breech.
Take a piece of electrical tape or masking tape & tape around the rod at the muzzle, bring the two edges of the tape up & pinch together, making a Flag at the 12 o’clock position.

Now slowly pull the rod out (letting the rod rotate) til the flag is exactly at 3 o’clock position.
Measure the distance from the muzzle up to the Flag.

If you pulled it out 12″, take the 12″ times the 4 (as you did 1/4th rotation) = 48, you have a 1 in 48 twist.

If it came out 15″, 15 x 4 = 60, you have a 1-60 twist.

16.5″ is a 1-66 twist

17.5 is a 1-70 twist.

FrontierMuzzleloading,
Thanks for the great info. You have made it easy and I'm sure there will be some happy people out there!