PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good 1911 10mm 10round magazines

marek313
08-06-2019, 04:41 PM
I have RIA Tac Ultra in 10mm that I bought from a friend of mine for a silly low price so I had to do it. Came with one factory 8round mag and 2 Tripp Research 10round ext Cobra mags. Gun shoots great I love it but I'm having feeding issues which I think are caused by mags. Neither factory 8 round or either Tripp would feed top rounds as they dive pretty bad. I checked all mags , feeding lips look fine not bent, tried different springs and still getting nose dives. Even when out of a gun you can see top rounds nose dive when you try to push them out. Anything more then 7 rounds and its a nose dive even on the factory 8 round mag.

Is there something I can do to check and fix any of this or should I just try new Mags maybe Wilson or Chip McCormick ones ? Now I'm assuming that this is a mag issue but could it be gun related?

Since this is my first and so far only 1911 I Googled and watched bunch of youtube videos but none so far has helped me.

wv109323
08-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Make sure the top coil of the magazine spring is under the front of the mag. follower. A magazine follower that can not tip forward may help. These are the ones that are more than "L" shaped.
Make sure the mag. catch is holding the magazine high in the frame.

35remington
08-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Top rounds nosediving occurs with larger capacity single stack magazines, insufficient frame ramp depth or unstable followers. Larger magazines allow the first round to nosedive more due to angle of stacking allowing first round to dive deeper.

To diagnose disassemble magazine. Drop two rounds into magazine. Reassemble with spring atop two rounds. This will reduce stack angularity and nosediving. If it still occurs investigate depth of frame ramp cut.

marek313
08-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Spring is in correct orientation facing front lip. Tripp mags come with anti tip followers and from what I see they get great reviews so I'm not sure why I'm having problems.

I was thinking of replacing mag catch with new one hopefully get it little bit higher but I'm not sure that will help. I'm still thinking this is magazine issue.

Thinking about getting another mag to try ..... hmmmmm .....

Burnt Fingers
08-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Sounds like either the slide stop or the frame is out of spec. Contact Armscor and they will set you up to get it fixed.

I've got the same problem with my RIA TAC II 9mm. I did find that Wilson mags worked.