PDA

View Full Version : Late night, early morning tricks for skunk avoidance.

WILCO
08-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Went into the back yard earlier.
Pitch black. Spooked a skunk that made for the tall grass.
Glad I dragged my feet and pushed the fob button for the truck lights.
That little heads up kept me from getting sprayed.

Tom W.
08-05-2019, 12:44 AM
Probably trying to steal your cast iron collection.........

Texas by God
08-05-2019, 10:44 AM
If you ever feel like having a near-death experience, have a skunk spray you right in the face. Don't ask me how I know this.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EDG
08-05-2019, 01:56 PM
I lived in an old rent house in high school. We had a skunk move under the house and he brought his perfume under the house now and then. When hanging out late I spotted the skunk eating bugs under a local street light in front of the local lumber yard. The town dwelling skunk was used to traffic passing as he munched on bugs.
A few nights later I was cruising the main drag at midnight after the podunk town had rolled up the streets.
I spotted the skunk munching bugs under the street light again. I turned around, pulled the single shot .410 out of the back seat and headed back toward the skunk. At about 50 yards I propped the .410 in the rolled down driver's side front window and cut off the engine with the clutch pushed in. As the car coasted I held the steering wheel in place with my knee. When I rolled slowly by the skunk I pulled the trigger at about 15 feet and heard several echoes come back from the walls of the deserted town. The skunk was killed instantly. The next morning I blocked up the openings under the rent house and we never had another smelly visitor living there.

dangitgriff
08-05-2019, 02:09 PM
If you ever feel like having a near-death experience, have a skunk spray you right in the face. Don't ask me how I know this.........

Well, did ya at least find out if it was a boy or a girl? [emoji23]

bikerbeans
08-05-2019, 02:20 PM
TBG,

I wouldn't wish a skunk to spray my worse enemy in the face.

BB

jsizemore
08-05-2019, 07:11 PM
I bet it was Pepe Le Pew looking for your redhead thread.

Tom W.
08-05-2019, 08:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu5hzc2Mei4

You had to know it was coming....:bigsmyl2:

Texas by God
08-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Like EDG's "drive by", my buddy let me out of the Camaro on our lonely county road to shoot Pepe who was intent on checking out something on the road. I busted him with bird shot; thought he was dead. Of course being a curious teen I had to check it out. When I got about ten foot away, it got up and got stung on the nose by the biggest scorpion I ever saw. Then it sprayed it's entire gland directly into my face,eyes,mouth,and soul. I fell down, trying to catch my breath and regain my sight. My buddy, safe in the car, started backing up...... I rode on the hood the mile to my house, knocked on the door. Mom smelled me before she could open the door. She told me to back away from the house, please. Then she produced a quart of tomato juice and a wash rag and told me to bathe myself in the yard. She threw some fresh clothes and a blanket on the porch and told me to sleep in the dairy barn. I put my clothes in the burn barrel and it was 2 weeks before the smell left my boots. Truth is stranger than fiction for sure! 45 years ago and I can still taste it!!
A few years ago I used pepper spray for migraines up my nose and it didn't EVEN compare!

wv109323
08-06-2019, 05:42 PM
I understand that loud music with a lot of bass will drive them away. You may try amonia around the perimeter.

Three44s
08-07-2019, 12:44 AM
Back when my wife and I were dating she had a siege of skunks in her yard at her place. I taught her to set up a bait station in front of a big trunked walnut tree for a back stop and also to hang a trouble shop light on the adjacent clothes line that she could turn on from inside her home.

A couple of days went by and one evening we were chatting on the phone and she spotted a skunk. We broke off the conversation and she fetched her 12 ga police model 870 loaded with 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot.

On went the light and by and by she eased out onto her deck still standing in darkness compared to the cat food guzzling (now) pair of skunks. Head and tail side by side!

She lined up the rudimentary sights and almost backed down as she had never killed any thing better than a bug by then.

At that moment she recalled all the misery she had put up with ......

BOOM!

Two skunks, one shot, no spray!

The lady likes her 870 Wingmaster, that’s for sure!

Three44s

brass410
08-07-2019, 11:04 AM
I think George better get a different disguise, obviously this one has got everyone fooled and hes gonna get hiself shot whilest out pillaging for the good of fellow casters. Maybe he could morph himself into a puppy or sleek 1/4 horse or something a little less offensive.

Tatume
08-07-2019, 11:10 AM
When I was a child my best friend was Mr. Hogge (Captain Mex to his adult friends). Mr. Hogge was in his eighties and nearly blind. One day a hound dog chased something under his house, and was making a terrible commotion. The dog cornered the animal under the kitchen, and Mr. Hogge loosed both barrels of his L.C. Smith into the kitchen floor. It was a skunk. Mr. Hogge had to move out and live with his sister for over a month while the smell abated.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-07-2019, 03:38 PM
So far a flashlight has saved me and my dogs from being sprayed by skunks 3 times in the past 2 weeks
While walking them in the early morning and countless times from
in counters with raccoons

Mohawk Daddy
08-07-2019, 07:43 PM
This is of no value for insomniacs who stroll around in the wee hours of the night, but it has helped me. I was plagued with skunk odors in my urban yard although I had never seen one in daylight. Some mornings the smell would just about knock you down. I read on the internet (yeah I know) that skunks hate the smell of citrus and it repels them. I started saving my lemon rinds from iced tea and my lime rinds from adult beverages and scattering handfuls of them around the yard. No more skunk aroma around here.
No shots fired, no high risk behavior. But I don't go walking in the middle of the night.

1911sw45
08-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Don’t feed any cats outside!

Mr_Sheesh
08-08-2019, 02:55 AM
I was in San Diego some years back at a motel, was walking my cat in their back yard that evening; Saw what I THOUGHT was another cat's tail at first, then saw the whole animal. I elected to cut the walk short and take kitty inside. Skunk was pretty relaxed at 20+ feet from us but I didn't want to find out about what could happen at closer ranges... I couldn't exactly do much else, considering where I was. Worked out OK :)

woodbutcher
08-08-2019, 05:22 PM
[smilie=s: Many years ago when I was doing security work,my boss and I were patrolling the area we were working that night,ole Pepe hosed the HOT radiator on the first gen Bronco.
What a mess.That vehicle had to be side lined for almost two months.Our uniforms had to be burned.What a mess.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Geezer in NH
08-08-2019, 07:20 PM
I love skunks in the summer. They are worth $150 bucks each from the flatlander 2nd home owners in my area. I catch and remove, usually in 1 night, ones they are afraid of and that is mostly all of them.

Have not had one spray in 2-3 years. We release them. Some we catch again [get in the trap Phil here's a Slim Jim to munch on.]

MaryB
08-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Took garbage out one night... got 20 feet form the can and there was pepe le pew with tail up wrong end pointed at me... without thinking I snap shot with my .380... hollow point... then discovered I was downwind... took me a week to get that stench out of my hair that hangs down to my butt!

I took the dead skunk(wore gloves) and propped it in the garbage can so it looked like it was going to leap out... next morning I hear swearing big time from the garbage man who is a friend. He flipped the lid open to grab it with the lift arm on the truck and thought he was being attacked! I am still waiting for payback on that one LOL

Mr_Sheesh
08-08-2019, 11:30 PM
That's likely to get you payback, yep! :)

FISH4BUGS
08-09-2019, 08:43 AM
I went out to get a load of wood in the fall a few years back and turned the corner on the woodpile. I surprised a skunk sitting at the bottom of the stacked wood and he/she sprayed me. I got it on the legs, arms and mid section.
I stripped down and left my clothes in the tarp covering the woodpile and got into the shower immediately.
Those clothes sat outside in the rain for three weeks before the smell subsided.
Now when I go out to get wood, I always announce my presence to the critters. We also installed a barn light outside.
I don't think I will have another problem.

6bg6ga
08-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Your supposed to avoid skunks not go out to play with them.

Texas by God
08-09-2019, 09:13 AM
My niece's dog killed a mama skunk, orphaning its babies. She adopted them and raised up three of them and they were really gentle and fun to play with but the fact that they were still loaded bothered me a lot so I didn't hold them very much. They won't take much lip from a cat before it's wrestlemania with the cat beating feet quickly.

Three44s
08-09-2019, 09:35 AM
A local Veternarian told me that skunks are a #1 carrier of rabies.

Three44s