PDA

View Full Version : Saeco #456 top punch

Divil
08-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Hello,

Some back story to explain, I have cast a few Saeco #456 .45 225 RN. I am setting up my new Lyman 4500. I have a #374 top punch for that I originally purchased for my ill fated Lyman #452374 mold that went went to the local landfill ( cast undersized .450 pills weighing 210 gr.). So, I bough the Saeco #456 as a replacement so I could have a .45 RN non light for caliber (.45 acp) in my inventory. The bullets weigh between 224-226 gr. and are .454 with hardball alloy and they generally look good. I am pleased.

Now I want to size and lube these boolits. Will my 374 Lyman top punch work for this bullet? If the answer is yes I will start sizing tomorrow. If now then I gotta order a new top punch. I already have a .452 sizing die and a mountain of Jakes Moly Ceresin lube.

Thanks,

Divil

Divil
08-08-2019, 01:20 AM
The answer is yes. The #374 top punch did not mar the #456 Saeco bullet in the 101 that I just lubed and sized.

georgerkahn
08-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Two comments: 1st, I have both the same SAECO mould and employ same top punch -- only very slight dif' being my setup uses a 450 Lyman -- your 4500 predecessor. The top punch you (and I) have works great!
2nd, for many years I got "twiterpated" matching top punch to bullet, until (from this site :) ) I learned all one really needs is pretty much ANY top punch and some Thermogrip (or similar) hot glue. Trick is to thoroughly clean the top punch you have on hand while the plugged in glue gun is heating. Then -- with bullet already in your 4500, add a small blob of melted glue to the top punch, and forcefully, but slowly bring the two together. You may need to trim excess with a razor -- BUT, in my experience 99% of the time, one does not. A "sub-comment" is some folks make theirs either by turning on a lathe, and/or using epoxy products. E.g., http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?116445-Making-your-own-custom-top-punches-the-easy-way

However, for ME, the hot glue is so quick, easy, cheap, and 100% great-functioning -- that's what I now use.

BEST!
geo

Divil
08-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the tip Geo. I will keep it in mind if a top punch proves troublesome to find. Glad you use the #456 Saeco with a #374 in your Lyman too, it makes me feel more confident in my findings.

gwpercle
08-09-2019, 02:25 PM
You can custom fit a boolit to a nose punch with a small ball of epoxy putty .

If the boolit has a flat spot on the nose ,( WC , SWC , RF , TC ) just use a flat nose punch .
Fill the cavity with epoxy or epoxy putty , after it sets up , sand flat .
I don't use RN boolits very much so a flat nose punch works for 98% of all the bullets I cast... actually I have used the flat punch to size RN boolits and it worked like a charm .
The flat punch actually works better . No marring and no misalignment and the flat punch takes the place of a drawer full that almost , but not quite , fit their intended boolit !
Gary

alamogunr
08-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Good information to know. I've got the SAECO #457 which is the same boolit except bevel base. I prefer plain base but bought this mold 2nd hand but almost unused. If I ever have trouble, I'll send it to Erik at Hollow Point Mold Service and have the bevel removed.