PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer on nitrogen

cajun shooter
10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm thinking about hooking up my Star to a nitrogen cylinder. I know that I read about it somewhere on this site. It sounded like a good idea as you would not have a compressor running inside. My wife is a very easy woman but I think she does have limits. Does anyone have such a setup and ifso what does it take to put it in working order. My neighbor works for a welding supply and I'm sure he can help me obtain what I need.:idea:

yondering
10-30-2008, 01:10 PM
CO2 might be another option; it's commonly used in offroad applications for inflating tires.
For nitrogen or CO2, figure on spending $150 - $200+ for a small cylinder and a regulator.

10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
i have the star air cylinder in my sizer. i use a portable air cylinder tank. got it at sears. i take it out to my compresor and fill it. i just sit it on the floor and use a flexable hose to the sizer. if you do not have a comp. take it to a gas station and fill (with air) .

mtgrs737
10-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a small compressor on my Star sizer, It almost never runs. The air cylinder uses the pressure from the air and not much of the volume of air to provide force to push lube to the piston in the sizer. I can see an air bubble or portable air tank lasting many thousands of bullets if there is no air leak in the line or fittings. It would be a very inexpensive way to go.

cajun shooter
10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
The nitrogen and tank are free. Thats why I was doing the thinking. Thanks for the pics and replys guys. This site is loaded with nice people trying to help!! I have a large shop compressor and a small 7 gallon one but as I first stated I'm doing this inside and trying to keep the peace.

mtgrs737
10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
You should find the tank will work fine, as it is the pressure and not the volume that you need. I used a compressor just because I had it available to me at the time.

DLCTEX
10-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Could you not put the compresor outside and run a line through the wall? I am planning to do just that with both my compressor and generator. DALE

cajun shooter
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
When we have hurricanes and have to use our generator we have 2 cable locks to prevent theft. I woudn't want to make the mouths of thiefs water too much!! When Gustav came in Sept we had a couple in their home at 6:30 pm running a generator and it quit; when they went to see what was wrong the generator was gone.

monadnock#5
10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Liquid nitrogen is bad stuff. Don't use it if you have kids around.

Half the town of Hillsborough was evacuated years ago when authorities thought a 1K gal storage tank was about to rupture. A 25 lb tank rupturing inside your house would not be a good thing.

xr650
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't see anything wrong with using nitrogen except for the cost and it sounds like you have that handled.

I'm sure Cajun Shooter is planning on using nitrogen in a gas state.

Liquid nitrogen doesn't last long as it has to be vented at all times to avoid building pressure in the tank. It needs to be pumped to acheive pressure and it is ccooollllddd.

schutzen
10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't use a Star, but I do use compressed air in my reloading room (read heated garage). My air compressor is in my shop building 50 feet from the house. I trenched a 1" PVC line from the shop to the garage. Once you inside the garage/house treat you air line like a water line. Run it under the floor or in the attic to get it where you want it. If it is a room in the house, bring it up in the closet and install a quick connect.

N2 will work, but I would make sure I had adequate ventilation. I realize the amount of N2 used is small, but what about a leak. 50 miles east of here a worker was asphyxiated when an N2 purging bottle leaked in a small (8'X10') instrument room. That could be even worse in your house. Before I get clobbered, I understand that the air we breathe is 78% N2. The problem comes with the % of O2. Normal air is 20-21% O2. If this percentage falls to the 17% range your thinking is impaired. Somewhere between 15-12% you start to lose consciousness. Below 10% you get to meet the Great Reloader in the Sky. All things considered, I think I would rig up a compressed air line.

GLL
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I am not sure how this thread drifted onto "Liquid" nitrogen ! ?

Talk about getting expensive ! :)

Jerry

monadnock#5
10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.mse.umd.edu/LAMP/Safety/Msds/MSDS_GAS/Nitrogen%20MSDS.doc

OK, so compressed nitrogen is no threat to skin and eyes, I see that now. Even so, rapid asphyxiation and death is something I would try to avoid. Compressed CO2 would be a good choice, as there is no concern for moisture in the line as with compressed air.

yondering
10-31-2008, 05:43 PM
So, have any of you guys tried using a compressed air setup for Lyman or RCBS lubesizers? I realize it would take a little fabrication to make it work, but I have the means to do so. I guess the real question is whether the Lyman and RCBS sizers require more lube pressure than the Star? If they don't require more lube pressure, I'm pretty sure I could make it work.