PDA

View Full Version : 700 Trigger?

Uncle R.
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi All:
I have several Remington 700s and I like their triggers - except for one. I can't seem to adjust it to a decent feel - I'm left with a rough, sticky, heavy pull on that one. I've taken it down to the best SAFE pull I can acheive - anything less on sear engagement or weight and it'll drop the striker with a hard rap on the butt or even from slamming the bolt. At this point it's still rough, heavy and sticky - it feels like the parts are burred and they probably ARE.
I want to hunt with that rifle - it's VERY accurate from the bench but I hate the trigger. I'm considering swapping triggers with a different 700 or (Better!) taking the trigger mechanism apart and polishing the sear, trigger connector, trigger and pins/holes.
Anyone have experience at reworking or swapping 700 triggers? Any advice for me?
Uncle R.

fourarmed
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I had one that wouldn't return, it was so sticky. The firing pin would follow when I closed the bolt. I took the unit off the gun and disassembled it. There was a large burr where the hole for the trigger pin was punched. I took a pattern file and smoothed the inside of the housing at all the holes. Reassembled it, and it was beautiful. I am guessing that is pretty common. The odd thing was that this rifle was almost 50 years old (it was a 721) and had not given trouble in the past. Those burrs can work loose and migrate.

Larry Gibson
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Might be the small coil spring. I always replace the factory spring with on having smaller and more coils. The factory springs are pretty stiff. The fine spring gives finer adjustment potential. Always the possibility of a burr or something in the trigger mechanism itself. Might be worth taking it apart. The cleaning and relube while apart won't hurt either.

Larry Gibson