PDA

View Full Version : GP100 10mm Match Champion 4"

JAC43
08-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Lets say you picked up one of these, and desired a cast bullet designed just for this revolver. This would be an AZ high desert and woods bumming sidearm, so primary bullet design would be optimized to be able to handle AZ apex predators (small black bears, mountain lion), and long shots on coyotes.

How would you design it? Weight, type, gas check, etc? Crimp groove or no? (this revolver uses moon clips).

cwlongshot
08-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Thats allot from one bullet...

How about a 200g WFN with deep and cup HP pins? That will give you ONE MOLD but the option for a light 180ish DEEP HP that cast properly WILL turn inside out in a Coyote.. a CUP HP that cast right will upset yet allow for proper penetration for thin skinned large game and a FLAT PIN creating a 200g WFN that again cast proper would provide a hand cast penetrator that will go stem to stern on anything on this continent properly loaded.

NOE has a couple such molds.

I bought a 184g version because I wanted the lighter bullets for my 40’s.

CW

Groo
08-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Groo here
I would go with the "Keith" formula.
A flat nose of 65% to 70% of bullet diameter , sectional density of .188 or so , and a weight you can drive at 1100 to 1200 fps from that gun.....
In a 10mm that could be a standard auto bullet or keith type at about 210 gr.
With a good stiff load.....
Don't like HP for bear [fmj or solids] or larger deer [ jsp or hard cast hp] regular hp are SD type for the most type..