PDA

View Full Version : Storing lube dies????

abunaitoo
08-01-2019, 11:05 PM
How do you store your Lyman/RCBS lube dies????
I have them in a plastic box with dividers, but it takes up more space than I'd like.

Walks
08-01-2019, 11:19 PM
I have a Big Cigar Box, I use the original little green RCBS boxes and Lyman tubes for older dies, for newer ones I use Small RX bottles with the NON-child proof caps.
And a tiny tupperware box for top punches.

kungfustyle
08-01-2019, 11:42 PM
This is what I have: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/11350

billyb
08-01-2019, 11:58 PM
I use the plastic vials my blood sugar test strips come in.

Winger Ed.
08-02-2019, 12:05 AM
I keep them in their original containers, and they're all in a big margarine container with the top punches inside a cabnit.

Dusty Bannister
08-02-2019, 12:40 AM
I bought and traded and many have no original box or container so just use a plastic slide top 12 gauge shot shell box. Top punches are inserted in holes drilled in a piece of 1" thick scrap attached to the bottom edge of a loading bench shelf.

jimkim
08-02-2019, 01:41 AM
I only have a few. I keep them in a vape mod box.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Butler Ford
08-02-2019, 01:44 AM
Plastic coin tubes. Keeps'em clean and ready to toss in whatever box or bag you want. Just mark them on the side and top, makes it easy to pick. Out the one you want

winelover
08-02-2019, 06:03 AM
RX bottles, standing upright in my bench drawer............cap marked with a China Marker, showing sizing diameter.

Winelover

Beagle333
08-02-2019, 06:32 AM
I just pile em in a big ziplock baggy.

tradbear55
08-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Plastic Plano tackle boxes. Each die has its own slot.

Ed_Shot
08-02-2019, 07:09 AM
RX bottles, standing upright in my bench drawer............cap marked with a China Marker, showing sizing diameter.

Winelover
+1 Plastic pill bottles are a natural.

6bg6ga
08-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Zip lock bags. Keeps them clean and dry.

Geezer in NH
08-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Same here, works great.

Petrol & Powder
08-02-2019, 08:35 AM
I made a wooden box with a tray that slides out. The tray has blind holes bored in the bottom that hold the dies vertical and smaller blind holes that hold the top punches. The box also holds the wrenches for the lubersizer.

A hardwood board about 3/4" - 1" thick provides enough material. The blind holes are drilled with a Forstner bit just slightly larger in diameter than the die and a regular drill bit is used to make the holes that hold the shanks of the top punches. If you don't have a Forstner bit of the correct size, you can use a regular flat spade bit and drill all the way through the board and then glue another board to the bottom. (this trick turns bored through holes into blind holes :shock:)

redhawk0
08-02-2019, 08:48 AM
I'm a plastic tackle box guy too. I have several of them to hold all the odds and ends of my reloading gear. (lock rings, trimmer collets and buttons, reamers, cutters, sizer buttons....etc)

They stack nice and neatly too and hold P-touch labels well.

redhawk

pastera
08-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Shameless plug if you have access to a 3d printer

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3332129

I may put up a version that allows you to customize the cover with a size (if there is interest)

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Before I acquired enough dies where I need a entire drawer in my multi-drawer metal tool box for my Lyman dies, I used a flip-top plastic ammo box (12 ga) like this...
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/mtm-case-guard-dual-gauge-shotshell-case-121620-gauge-3.00-shot-shells-holds-25-rounds-clear-smoke/FC-026057008417.html

Top punches go into weekly (7 compartments) Pill organizer boxes.

JMtoolman
08-02-2019, 10:18 AM
I just use a plastic 20 shotshell holder. Will hold 25 each in its own spot, of course I need two of them. The toolman.

quack1
08-02-2019, 12:29 PM
+1 for the blood sugar test strip containers. I make my own dies on the lathe, so needed a better method of storage than just loose in a box. Was at a friends place and saw him test his blood, and a light bulb went off in my head when I saw the strip container. The dies fit in so well, it's almost like they were made for them. I write the size on the lid with a sharpie and stand them up in an old cigar box, in order of size. Easy to pick out the one I want.

Driver33
08-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Medicine bottles with size wrote on it the stored in a ammo can

ShooterAZ
08-02-2019, 02:56 PM
I use the Plano tackleboxes with the slide-out drawers w/folding lids. The kind you'd usually store your Bass fishing plugs with the compartments. Mine have 4 drawers, and I use each one separately for push through dies, Rcbs lube size dies, top punches, and misc parts.

fecmech
08-02-2019, 03:21 PM
You fellows make me feel really disorganized! All my Lyman dies and top punches are loose in a plastic container with a lid. Star dies, same same.

skeettx
08-02-2019, 04:33 PM
OLD metal 35 mm film cans
or the NEW 35 mm plastic film cans

YES, I am OLD :)

mattw
08-02-2019, 04:45 PM
I store mine in a medium Plano divider box, just about to not fit all in one anymore. I also have a sheet of VCI paper in the top of the lid.

Kraschenbirn
08-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Yup! Slots in mine are arranged in 4 rows of 6, giving me 24 slots per box.

Bill

Tom W.
08-02-2019, 10:37 PM
NEW 35 mm plastic film cans

YES, I am OLD :)

I have a few of those, too, as well as some medicine bottles and the bags that they came in, all in a dovetailed box with a sliding wooden cover that I got from work in 1973 . It used to hold granite cleaner.

alamogunr
08-03-2019, 12:33 AM
A good while back Ben posted a photo of his solution to sizer die & top punch storage. I don't have a link but someone may remember it. I've been meaning to try his pull out tray but as usual I haven't gotten a round tuit.

gwpercle
08-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Winelover
Same here !
Since we all now have to take pills now , finding a use for those small plastic bottles is nice .
The tops are good and secure . Perfect fit for H&I dies and room for a nose punch also .
Label on the outside and you good . Cost $0.00... I love it !
Gary

alamogunr
08-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Right now I'm using the pill bottles too. Luckily, I saved a bunch with the snap on caps before the pharmacy went to secure(child and senior citizen resistant) caps that are a pain to remove

DonMountain
08-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Before I acquired enough dies where I need a entire drawer in my multi-drawer metal tool box for my Lyman dies, I used a flip-top plastic ammo box (12 ga) like this...
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/mtm-case-guard-dual-gauge-shotshell-case-121620-gauge-3.00-shot-shells-holds-25-rounds-clear-smoke/FC-026057008417.html

Top punches go into weekly (7 compartments) Pill organizer boxes.

This ^^ The 12 gauge clear boxes work well for me. I keep a diagram on paper in the box showing where each sizing die is and top punches that I keep in there too. Its really well organized so I do not have to search all over or in a bag of separate containers for a particular die. And they are easy to retrieve and dust free.

abunaitoo
08-10-2019, 03:19 AM
The 12ga or 20ga box looks like a winner.
Now if I can just find any here.
For a reasonable price.

Mr_Sheesh
08-10-2019, 03:48 AM
alamogunr I am pretty sure they "have to" supply non adult-proof caps on request, for those with poor physical mobility or low hand strength? Ask your pharmacy :)

Land Owner
08-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Same here. I kept and cut the original die and punch packaging to fit within the plastic slots of the tackle box, then cut the original die and punch paperwork to fit in its packaging. At a glance I can see who made it and what size or number it is.

Have you guys considered the COST of the contents of your box? I did and it is well over $1K in sunk cost (retail value). I made a list of contents and made my spouse aware of its value so in the event of my untimely and unfortunate demise she does not sell it for pennies. Most folks will have no idea what those dies and top punches are for - but you can bet they would buy the whole kit and caboodle for $50.00 if they could!

georgerkahn
08-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the "tips!" -- I'm adding a scattergun cartridge case (e.g., one suggested from Grafs) to my next wish-list order! I have 38 lub dies, and store them in, of all things, an old cigar box. I cut some plain-Jane Cut-Rite wax paper to maybe 1/2" longer than each, and pieces long enough to roll each in the paper, maybe 2 1/2 thicknesses. The wax paper stays on each quite nicely, with my "crimp" on top and bottom. I have some of that anti-rust paper both lining bottom and top of the box, and have a small cut Brother Q-500 label with the die's size written with Sharpie on the outside. Works for me... but, again thanks, I'd never have thought of the shotgun shell case. (i love this site!)
geo

alamogunr
08-10-2019, 05:30 PM
alamogunr I am pretty sure they "have to" supply non adult-proof caps on request, for those with poor physical mobility or low hand strength? Ask your pharmacy :)

I don't have a problem with them yet. My wife does but the caps our pharmacy uses are reversible and we only have to turn the cap over to screw it on the bottle. It seems that they always put the cap on the bottle in the secure configuration when turning it over to the customer.

I saved enough of the old types to take care of all I am likely to need for sizers.

Tom W.
08-10-2019, 09:34 PM
I didn't know about the test strips container. After I saw that I was looking at Lori's container and asked for it when it got emptied.....

jsizemore
08-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Prescription pill bottles with the size Sharpied on the outside in "BIG" numbers. The price is right and they fit in a Ziplock freezer bag along with the die removal tools and sizer parts.