PDA

View Full Version : Most popular Manufacuture uf Handguns for Cowboy Action shooting?

terrytm
08-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Hi:

Does any one know what brand of handgun is the most popular for Cowboy Action shooting?

Thanks,

Terryt

contender1
08-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Ruger.

georgerkahn
08-01-2019, 08:52 PM
I'd check out the Cowboy Action Shooting Sports (CASS) site, and they have truly wonderful people there! Another great source is the Cowboy Fast Draw Associaiton (btw, some of the videos of men, ladies, and even kids shooting -- downright impressive!!) -- CFDA's URL is http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/generalstore/index.php/wax-bullets-shells-accessories.html.

To MY way of thinking, Ruger has at least a substantial foot in the Cowboy market -- their Vaquero's (e.g., .45LC, .44 Sp/, and even .357 S&W Mag are tailored FOR Cowboy Action shooting. I, personally, have one of their .45LC's (New Vaquero) which was tuned for CFD -- and I'd be hard pressed to think of anything "better".

Ruger has a page just on their CASS single action revolvers... https://ruger.com/products/vaquero/overview.html

For ME, a good resource/source is one of my most favourite vendors -- Buffalo Arms. Their URL is https://www.buffaloarms.com/cowboy-firearms-muzzle-loaders-vintage-military/cowboy-revolvers.

Regardless of whichever you do acquire -- do not EXCLUDE the added fun -- in addition, of course, to loading and shooting YOUR cast bullets -- WAX bullets can be delivered to your door for $25.00 or so, for ONE THOUSAND of these! Propelled just by the primer -- they're quite accurate up to 40+ feet, too!

Best!
geo

hp246
08-01-2019, 08:55 PM
You're going to find Ruger and Uberti about an even split. Next would be Pietta. Then jut because of the price point you are going to find the USFA and Colts.

Walks
08-01-2019, 10:13 PM
It used to be whatever you had in your collection to start with.
In 1987, when I started you could get into it for about a $1,000.
Many started with BlackHawks, Marlins, Rossi Coach Guns were popular. I've got friends that started with .45Colt or .44Mag and stuck with those Cartridges all the way through. LOTS of people were Very Happy when Uberti, Rossi and Finally Marlin started chambering in .45Colt.
But then most all My Friends were there for FUN.

And it's a lot more FUN to hear a Boom/Clang, then a bang/tink.

6string
08-02-2019, 12:29 AM
I'd be interested to know what people honestly thought when asked to distinguish between "most popular" and "most desirable".
Not intended to be a dig, just a question of curiosity....

Then again, sometimes they're the same thing!

There's been a few times I've decided to hold off on an important purchase once I came to grips with the fact that what I really wanted simply cost more than what I had in pocket. Waiting and saving tended to result in the greater long term satisfaction.
:-o

upnorthwis
08-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Rugers are known for being so tough you can drive tent stakes with them. I have 5 of them.

Froogal
08-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Uberti and Cimarron. The Cimarron is a Uberti in a different box. The Ruger Vaquero is accepted, but it is not a true replica of the original Colt SAA. The Vaquero is also priced twice as high as a Uberti. Rugers have a tendency to shoot low and to the left. Very frustrating. Uberti and Cimarron will pretty much shoot to the point of aim right out of the box.

Froogal
08-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Rugers are known for being so tough you can drive tent stakes with them. I have 5 of them.

The Ruger I own would be good to use as a hammer. Ain't much good for anything else.

Gray Fox
08-02-2019, 10:26 AM
I have the pair of original full size Ruger Vaqueros that I started with when they first came out. They are polished stainless with 4 5/8" barrels in .45 Colt. I took the 1996 Alabama State Top Cowboy trophy with them in 1996 and the last event was a handgun man against man shoot with dueling tree targets. I shot my own loads using the Lee 255 grain RNFP boolit. Other than filing the front sights a bit to get point of aim I've had no problems with either one with thousands of rounds down range. My wife shot a pair of Ruger Blackhawks (both old red box guns) we had at the time, .45 Colts. She shot a 4 5/8" in a strong side holster and a 7 1/2" in a cross draw. She was near the top in scoring for women shooters most of the time. She shot the same load I did. Her two will be the last guns we ever get rid of. Rugers work. I'm also real partial to the Dillon XL650 that cranked out all the ammo over the years for them and our Rossi carbines. GF

Froogal
08-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Uberti, Cimarron, and Taylo's and company are the only TRUE Colt SAA clones.

375supermag
08-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Hi...
Let me preface this by saying that I do not participate in Cowboy Action Shooting, but I do own and shoot a lot of SA revolvers. I deal regularly with a LGS that caters to Cowboy Action Shooting enthusiasts and they tell me that most people in the sport shoot Uberti Cimarron revolvers. They generally have quite a few new and used SA revolvers for sale mostly .45Colt and .357Mag.

Froogal
08-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Hi...
Let me preface this by saying that I do not participate in Cowboy Action Shooting, but I do own and shoot a lot of SA revolvers. I deal regularly with a LGS that caters to Cowboy Action Shooting enthusiasts and they tell me that most people in the sport shoot Uberti Cimarron revolvers. They generally have quite a few new and used SA revolvers for sale mostly .45Colt and .357Mag.

YES. Best bang for the buck.

Green Frog
08-06-2019, 10:29 AM
I've been toying with the idea of playing the Cowboy Fast Draw game. Of course they only shoot wax bullets in their revolvers, but they do it very fast and do it a LOT! The folks I've talked with are about evenly divided between Ruger Vaqueros and the various Italian SAA repros, but it seems that the favorites for the serious competitors may be the former by a slight edge.

Because of price and immediate availability, I bought a Taylor Tuned Smoke Wagon made by Uberti. Since it was already gone through carefully before I ever even saw it, it runs great and I expect good longevity... at least that's what my friends at Taylor's promised me when I went in during one of their open houses and bought it in person. So far I've used it for about 100 rounds of "live fire" with factory ammo to test the action and get a feel for the trigger. Then I went to a couple of the practice sessions our local CFDA group has and ran 100 rounds of wax bullets (primer only) through it to see what it (and I) could do. The gun is good to go, so now I've just got to tighten up the loose nut on the trigger (me) to make the gun work competitively.

As for Cowboy Action Shooting which is done with live ammo, I don't know how that will enter into the wear and tear equation, but the rapid and frequent operation of the action, live or wax ammo notwithstanding, is bound to put wear on it. My new friends in CFD are apparently getting several seasons of use out of their guns without any significant repairs required.

Froggie