PDA

View Full Version : Dillon XL650 is no more......

osteodoc08
08-01-2019, 04:10 PM
https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl750-reloader_8_1_26745.html

Dillon has announced the XL750, the successor to the 650. Haven’t had long to study itnup but wanted to share with my brethren here. Looks like a good enough reason to look at a new one, right?!

koehn,jim
08-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Wrong, I have 2 of the 550s and see no reason to get a new one. I still do my load work ups on my RCBS rock chucker. If you shoot enough to warrant the 750 I envy you.

clum553946
08-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Well, I hope that they still will continue to support all of us that own 650’s!

FISH4BUGS
08-01-2019, 04:51 PM
I am sure Dillon will. They truly have a NO BS warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offer an upgrade path for the 650 owners.
I have been using my 550 for many, many years and really don't see any reason to change. In fact, it started life as a 450 and went up from there with upgrades. My customer number is a VERY low 4 digit number...that's how long I have been a Dillon customer.
I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds with it, and other than small parts breaking never had a problem. I keep spare parts on hand after learning what can break.

Well, I hope that they still will continue to support all of us that own 650’s!

jmort
08-01-2019, 06:20 PM
I got the memo from Dillon.
No doubt it will be real nice
550 guy myself

Petrol & Powder
08-01-2019, 06:31 PM
You can have my 550 when you pry it from my cold dead hands.....

[smilie=s:

super6
08-01-2019, 07:11 PM
I have a sl 900 shot shell reloader that thing looks a lot like it. Hope I can convert my 900 to 750!

rancher1913
08-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I am sure Dillon will. They truly have a NO BS warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offer an upgrade path for the 650 owners.
I have been using my 550 for many, many years and really don't see any reason to change. In fact, it started life as a 450 and went up from there with upgrades. My customer number is a VERY low 4 digit number...that's how long I have been a Dillon customer.
I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds with it, and other than small parts breaking never had a problem. I keep spare parts on hand after learning what can break.

their no bs warranty does not cover the 1050 because they consider it a commercial unit.

bullet maker 57
08-01-2019, 08:44 PM
I've use a SDB and a 650. I see no reason to change.

sigep1764
08-01-2019, 09:56 PM
ive had a love affair with a 550 for a couple years now after leaving an SDB for her. The 750 looks nice, but unless the caliber changes got cheaper/easier, I will continue to love the 550.

BrassMagnet
08-02-2019, 08:00 PM
ive had a love affair with a 550 for a couple years now after leaving an SDB for her. The 750 looks nice, but unless the caliber changes got cheaper/easier, I will continue to love the 550.

You sure are lucky a Dillon is like a gun!

You can trade a 44 in on two 22s and not get in any trouble.

JimB..
08-02-2019, 10:10 PM
One thing worth noting, I bought a new case collator today, got the old one (high/low speed switch) rather than the new one (rheostat) and was happy to have it. Price was $214, price for the new is $260.

Alvarez Kelly
08-03-2019, 01:57 AM
FYI. The XL750 uses the slide type priming system like the RL550 uses. The rotary primer system is no more. Also, the frame is slightly taller, so it can handle a few more longer calibers. The conversion kits are the same as the XL650. A few other minor improvements.

Personally, I like the RL550 primer system. I never cared for the rotary system. A great many have the opposite opinion.

David2011
08-03-2019, 01:59 AM
It looks like the only major change is a slide type primer feed. Not sure if that's good or bad. I can see some advantages and some disadvantages. It should eliminate the ski ramp annoyances but I find the 650's rotary system to be more reliable than the 550's slide. I've never had any issues with the two speed case feeder so the variable speed one is not terribly exciting. The only problem I've had with the case feeder is wearing out the long arm on the microswitch which was replaced at no charge.

Lloyd Smale
08-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Why are improvements met with criticism by people that have an older model or no money?? I wish I had the extra money. sure look nicer then my two lnls which are about reloading room decorations anymore for all I use them. Ones set up to size progressively size 223 and the other 300 bo. I size and deprime them and then trim tumble and finish them on a 550. Even that's a headache with the crappy case feeder system.

David2011
08-04-2019, 04:11 AM
Lloyd,

First, let me say that I consider you one of the site’s treasures. Your posts are always worth my time to read. To answer your question, the “improvements” of the 750 seem dubious at best to many of us from the posts I’ve seen so far. The priming system “appears” to be a step in the wrong direction. Lots more money for questionable improvements. I’ve been fortunate enough to have pretty much whatever I want in my reloading room. The 750 doesn’t yank my chain. The variable speed case feeder is a solution to a nonexistent problem. I have NEVER been able to outrun the old case feeder and I load .40 S&W at 900/hour.

I also still use my single stage presses a lot so I’m definitely not a big “latest and greatest” fan. I always teach new loaders on the Rock Chucker.

M-Tecs
08-04-2019, 04:45 AM
Lloyd I have three 650's, two 1050's and RL1000. I love the 1050 except for the priming system. It's OK but it's not a reliable as the 650's priming system. So called improvements may or may not be an improvement. As to the 750 without looking at it I am not going to say Dillon has not upgrade that type of primer system also. If they did great but it's still going to have to equal or surpass the 650's reliability. With my 1050's I have never had an issue other than priming system related. With the 650's I have had various minor issues with the press but never any issues with the primer system.

GARD72977
08-04-2019, 12:21 PM
I have a 1050,650 and 550. I hate the 650 with a passion . The indexing and priming suck. I bought a Dillon square deal around 1992. I used it a week and sent it back for a 550. The Square deal was fine just not what I wanted. If the 650 had been my first Dillon it would have been my last

The 650 is tore down sitting in a corner for now

cat-mechanic
08-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Lloyd,

First, let me say that I consider you one of the site’s treasures. Your posts are always worth my time to read. To answer your question, the “improvements” of the 750 seem dubious at best to many of us from the posts I’ve seen so far. The priming system “appears” to be a step in the wrong direction. Lots more money for questionable improvements. I’ve been fortunate enough to have pretty much whatever I want in my reloading room. The 750 doesn’t yank my chain. The variable speed case feeder is a solution to a nonexistent problem. I have NEVER been able to outrun the old case feeder and I load .40 S&W at 900/hour.

I also still use my single stage presses a lot so I’m definitely not a big “latest and greatest” fan. I always teach new loaders on the Rock Chucker.

The variable case feeder was designed to fix a problem that most people don't have. I have a Dillon 1050 on a Mark VII auto drive. Turn that thing up and I am processing brass at 1800 cases per hour. The case feeder can't keep up. So Dillon fixed that because there are tons of people with the auto drives now. So it does help some people. Now when I am loading I am not going that fast. So the new case feeder isn't needed there.

I have never owned a 650. Came close to buying one a few times, but ended up finding better deals on used 1050's. So I went that route.

GARD72977
08-04-2019, 01:50 PM
The priming system on the 650 is 50% of it's problem. I like the priming system of the 550 much better.

M-Tecs
08-04-2019, 02:11 PM
My first Dillon was a 450 than a pair of 550's which I sold as soon as the 650's came out. I have about 250K thru my three 650's and I don't ever remember a primer system related issue. When I purchased a pair of 1050's I started keeping a log book on stoppages/issues. I only have about 150K thru the 1050 but the only issues I have ever had with them is primer related. On average it's about once per 6,000 rounds compared to the 650's with zero issues in 250K. A friend did have a 650 that was giving him some issues with the priming system. Dillon exchanged the priming system and that resolved the issue.

The priming systems are dedicated to my machines and I don't change between large and small. The only time touch them is for cleaning and lite lubing with dry lub.

What type of issues are you having?

David2011
08-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Turn that thing up and I am processing brass at 1800 cases per hour. The case feeder can't keep up. So Dillon fixed that because there are tons of people with the auto drives now.

Wow, a two second cyclic rate. Fingers clear! I can see in your application the case feeder was the bottleneck.

cat-mechanic
08-05-2019, 01:26 AM
Wow, a two second cyclic rate. Fingers clear! I can see in your application the case feeder was the bottleneck.
Like I said, I use it to process brass. When loading, I am slower. So this thing decaps, swages the primer pocket, then the trimmer size and then gets kicked out.

Here is a video of 9mm being loaded at 1600 rounds per hour. Just so you can see what it's like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwr7lthNXs

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2019, 06:12 AM
for you and david. Ive never owned a 650 but haves spent quite a few hours behind my buddys 3. I love them myself. I had a fire about 10 years ago and lost all my loading gear. When I build the new reloading room I made the biggest mistake ever. I wanted two progressive presses. It was between the lnl and 650s. At that time the lnls were not only cheaper but gave you a 1000 bullets free. That at that time was worth at least 200 bucks which made them about half the price of a 650. It sucked me right in. For the most part they collect dust. I might crank one up once or twice a year but they take some much tweeking that loading on my 550 is just as fast and a lot less stressful. Ive about given up on the lnl case feeders all together. Now all that said the 650 is not without flaws. For one the primer system is real sensitive to dirt, dust and spilled powder and add to that many have had the whole system explode from crunching a primer. My buddy had it happen once and it not only blew that primer but the ones in the tube lit off too and it blew the tube right off the press. He isn't the only one that's had that happen and im sure dillions main concern with redesigning it wasn't making it operate better or smoother it was making it less likely to get them take to court because someone got blinded by the explosion. Case feeder? I do don't know. I never had a problem with it and in my dreams my lnl might work half as well. That said dillion is a pretty innovative company. Ive followed them and used there presses for over 30 years and have yet to see them make a change that was a waste of there Research and development teams time. It like anything else. Chev comes out with a new Silverado and all the owners of the old ones say there ugly. Dillion comes out with a new 1050 and everyone says it makes no sense. 5 years later everyone knows better. I say give them a chance. Lets see what owners think when a few of them are in the hands of the guys here. Guys that do have some experience. My guess is the 650 wont be missed. Not that there not a great press. Truth be told for 20 years they have been THE progressive press. But 20 years ago we had carburetors and every one said fuel injection was just a fad.
Lloyd I have three 650's, two 1050's and RL1000. I love the 1050 except for the priming system. It's OK but it's not a reliable as the 650's priming system. So called improvements may or may not be an improvement. As to the 750 without looking at it I am not going to say Dillon has not upgrade that type of primer system also. If they did great but it's still going to have to equal or surpass the 650's reliability. With my 1050's I have never had an issue other than priming system related. With the 650's I have had various minor issues with the press but never any issues with the primer system.

6bg6ga
08-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Never had a problem with my 650's primer system. As with any piece of machinery you need to be smarter than it is. Common sense dictates that you don't let powder build up on any press. Dirt, dust, and grime are also a no no.
I keep my press clean and it doesn't cause me any problems. To those that complain about primers blowing up I would tell them to learn how to run a piece of machinery. Instead of blaming the machine the fault actually lies with the operator.

Like I mentioned in a prior post.. I owned a square deal with the same *** priming system as the 550. I was constantly changing plastic ends and picking up primers off the floor that is the ones I could find. I recently purchased a 550 simply because it was a good deal. So far I have spent more time on the phone to Dillon to get parts to fix it. I still cuss the priming system that will dump 1/4-1/2 tray of primers all over the floor. Not a good system just one the bean counters like because it is cheaper to manufacture.

M-Tecs
08-05-2019, 02:05 PM
For one the primer system is real sensitive to dirt, dust and spilled powder and add to that many have had the whole system explode from crunching a primer. .

Maybe that it why I never had any issues with mine. I have a vacuum and compressed air by mine. At the start and stop of each use I vacuum and blow them off. If I spill any powder it is cleaned as soon as it happens. Maybe that is the same reason I have never have popped a primer. I still much prefer the 650 primer system of the 1050 for reliability based on about 400K through both types of machines. About 200K of these are Federal primers. Federals are the most sensitive but keeping the press clean and using smooth movements have worked very well for me.

Back to popping primers I don't know if primer dust is a factor or not but of course impact is. If you slowly compress a primer they don't go off and yes I have put them in a vise and tested this. On the Super 1050 I have seated primers sideways numerous times without detonation. Also on the 1050 I have seated (crushed) two primers into one pocket a couple of times. With smooth steady movement I haven't had any primer pops on a press. A friend was having issues with popping primers with his hand seater. Traced it down to crimped pockets that the crimp was not fully removed. He would apply pressure and the primer would hang-up on the crimp. When the primer moved it would pop in rapidly and detonate. My guess is that is about the same for the cause of press related primer detonations.

If Dillon comes up with a better priming system for the 1050 I will upgrade to the new improved since 99% of any stoppages I have with the 1050 are priming system related.

Both my 1050 are Supers. The new RL1100 may be an actual improvement but it appears the priming system is not upgraded. That is a shame since it's the weakest part of the 1050's. If it is my 1050 dedicated to small primers will be up for sale. The RL1000 is 308 length or shorter and it uses roller bearings so it's claimed to be smoother. Change is nothing more than change. Sometimes its for the better and sometime not so much. Time will tell.

Dale53
08-06-2019, 12:18 AM
When I sold my Dillon 450 and moved up to the 550, I was loading 11 calibers from .221 to .375 H&H including all of the popular pistol calibers. Later, to expedite caliber changes, I bought a second 550B so I don't have to change primer size (saves a good bit of time when making caliber changes). I have loaded several hundred thousand rounds on my presses and flat out love them. I have no need for anything faster and more complicated, but that's just me. I really appreciated the lesser cost of caliber changes compared to the 650, as an example.

Dillon has been absolutely wonderful regarding their No BS warranty.

FWIW
Dale53

David2011
08-06-2019, 03:51 AM
Lloyd,

Like I said, your posts are always worth reading. I enjoyed your honest introspective behind your decision to purchase Hornady presses. I remember the free bullet deals but thought that I shoot so few copper encased bullets that it wasn’t much of an incentive. When I got my 650 I had already owned a 550 for about 15 years. I started shooting action pistol games after Katrina trashed my sailboat. The 550 was OK at first for the significantly increased volume but I quickly learned how many matches there were to shoot every month and I wanted a faster press, especially after I bought an STI in .40. It wasn’t long before I was going through 2500 or more rounds a month. Everyone I knew that shot .40 loaded on a 650. Action pistol shooting in South Louisiana is pretty big so that many people must have known something. I love the 650 and the 550 for different reasons. Both are a joy to use even with their quirks.

You’re probably right in that once the 750 is in circulation we may learn that it’s much better. It is almost comical the way so many of us, myself included, are saying, “I don’t know, doesn’t seem necessary to me,” about a press none of us has seen yet.

After a friend came and loaded on my 650 he told me that he wished he hadn’t bought his Hornady Ammo Plant.

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2019, 08:42 AM
yup david I look at it like this. Everything Dillon has come out with has been a game changer and what the rest of the industry is measured by. I doubt they just wanted to pee away some research and development money. I think they about know that there isn't going to be many 650 owners who are going to sell there baby to adopted a new one. Kind of like when they updated the 1050. the old ones sure weren't made obsolete but few wont admit today it was an improvement. Ill bet anyone here a dime to a thousand bucks that its going to be better then my lock and loads!!!

6bg6ga
08-06-2019, 08:48 AM
I'm completely happy with my 650. My primer mishaps or functional problems because I keep it clean. Will I buy a 750? Nope not in this lifetime.

DocSavage
08-06-2019, 12:39 PM
I've had 2x650s fo the better part of 15 years never a primer detonation.
Now the primer cup exchange that's my bugaboo which is why I own 2 650s sp and lp. Purchased an aftermarket roller bearing for shell plate advancement works the nuts. Till Dillon stops supporting the 650 there's no reason to buy the 750 by time soon. Oh and the Dillon catalogue they made it bigger you can actually read the articles without a microscope.

David2011
08-07-2019, 04:19 AM
Yeah, got my new “Blue Press” yesterday. I like the new format.

The 1911 smith Jimmy Mitchell suggested to me that I should give CCI primers a try in my 650 years ago. I did and haven’t had any primer issues since.

Spent the evening with a new reloader teaching him how to load on my Rock Chucker, 100 rounds of .40 S&W. OMG, an “obsolete” 650 mere feet away. Fortunately he’s a grown up adult and technically oriented so he was very content to go slow and learn the basics.