PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some loading gear and have a question.

muta4warrior
08-01-2019, 12:16 AM
I picked up some gear from an estate a few months ago. I'm trying to figure out some info on what I am assuming is an In-line press due to the die sets that were present with this lot of gear. Does anyone know who made this press?

EDG
08-01-2019, 12:49 AM
Parts look like they might have come off commercial presses but most of it appears to be shop made.

mdi
08-01-2019, 11:21 AM
From the pics I would say they are "arbor type" presses for using "hand dies". The one on the right looks to be missing parts. Video showing the use; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uAB4I4yLbI

Dan Cash
08-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Wilson or Sinclair

country gent
08-02-2019, 10:46 AM
A lot of the small arbor press were shop made one offs like yours appears to be. This were made in home shops by the shooter himself ( usually a bench rest shooter) on in a machine shop on lunch hour. There are several versions of then from the rack and pinon drive ( like yours on the left side) to a simple pivoting lever type. Some were made from old bottle cappers converted ( I had one of these years ago for the old lees hammer type tools. Dad got tired of hearing the tapping all the time). Ive never seen the double press set up like yours.

Your set up probably resided an a bench rest shooters range ox and was used to load at the match between relays with Lee Wilson or a custom die set. It would be used on a small table or stand. These small presses loaded some very accurate ammo. They were light quick and easy to set up and reliable. Yours appears to be well made and a quality set up. Wilson still makes the straight line dies, Lee makes the hammer tool I think Neil jones still makes custom dies from 3 or 5 fired cases. One thing is a lot of these small custom presses were made for a specific length case. 6ppc, .222 rem, 308 win. This was because the builder only needed that ad having the press sized to the dies case saved space in the range box along with weight. Ig you decide to add dies make sure the length will work