PDA

View Full Version : M1916 Mauser project

Remiel
07-31-2019, 09:11 PM
After a year of on and off tinkering, getting married, finising college, and just lack of time. I have just about finished this parts kit from old western scrounger. Still needs some adjustments and verify head space. But it's almost complete. The one thing holding me up is the front sight. I can't remember how to remove the replacement blade from the base to put it on the rifle. After that it's time to find the cleaning rod and a sling. Pic of the beat up barreled action that's will be the 35rem project to follow(and an a idea of where I started from).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190801/86e58185aae38a03f5aa13e3ea3b42d7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190801/a75f4b385c0bda34850127cdc5c877f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Texas by God
07-31-2019, 09:29 PM
That looks great, good work. The sight solders on I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

samari46
08-01-2019, 12:33 AM
Front sight may have a screw hidden underneath the front sight blade. So remove the blade and see if the screw is there and the rear sight may also have a hidden pin or screw. You never know what you'll find. On my Finn M39 there is a screw for the front sight and one for the rear sight. Took the sights off the trashed barrel as the smith didn't want them. Not much solder on the rings that went around the barrel so a dead blow hammer did the rest. light gentle tapping and once they started moving off they came. Frank

Remiel
08-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Front sight may have a screw hidden underneath the front sight blade. So remove the blade and see if the screw is there and the rear sight may also have a hidden pin or screw. You never know what you'll find. On my Finn M39 there is a screw for the front sight and one for the rear sight. Took the sights off the trashed barrel as the smith didn't want them. Not much solder on the rings that went around the barrel so a dead blow hammer did the rest. light gentle tapping and once they started moving off they came. FrankIt does, I need the blade off of the spare for the rifle, or to get the broken set screw put to put the whole assembly on the rifle.

Larry Gibson
08-01-2019, 10:15 AM
The set screw is installed to keep the sight base/band in position while soldering it. Thus the screw many times also get soldered in. Use a propane torch to melt the solder while applying torque to the screw with a screw driver (that fits) and it should come out. Then you can apply flame around the band melting the solder and lift the band off the end of the barrel with pliers (it will be too hot for fingers.....don't ask how I know....)

Remiel
08-01-2019, 04:37 PM
The set screw is installed to keep the sight base/band in position while soldering it. Thus the screw many times also get soldered in. Use a propane torch to melt the solder while applying torque to the screw with a screw driver (that fits) and it should come out. Then you can apply flame around the band melting the solder and lift the band off the end of the barrel with pliers (it will be too hot for fingers.....don't ask how I know....)I got it swapped around, just need to heat to melt the remaining solder, but it's time to make dinner. I will probably finish it Saturday, depending on how sire I am from fixing dad's power steering pump and rack tomorrow.