PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Rockchucker variations.

Bazoo
07-31-2019, 06:30 PM
Is there any advantages or disadvantages to the different versions of the RCBS Rockchucker.

It looks like the original RC linkage is weaker than the RC2 and IV. The RC3 appears almost the same as the RC2 but according to my research, wasn't in production long.

Bazoo

1hole
07-31-2019, 08:16 PM
In my opinion, no. Differences in the first three 'Chucker incarnations were trivial.

Walks
08-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Just the ability to switch handle position. Which Means the handle is in your way as you access the press from the left side only anyway

Bazoo
08-01-2019, 04:49 PM
I like the looks of the RC2, and the handle position. I had a RC IV that was given to me after my house burnt. I didn't like the handle angle so I sold it and bought a Lyman spartan and a lee hand press and a lee bullet mould and a set of dies with the resultant money. Seemed like a good trade at the time, and when your starting over ever dollar counts, but now I'm wishing I'd kept it for the sentiment and heated the handle and bent it to my liking.
I'm looking ahead a bit, wanting something that is older but able to handle swaging and FL sizing with less effort. I'm also looking at other presses, like the Lyman crusher, It will depend probably on what I can get a good deal on.

Taterhead
08-01-2019, 08:46 PM
I own the RC IV and previously owned a very nice condition later model RC. Sold the RC since I like the IV better. For some reason I like the "feel" of the IV. Hard to describe. Priming is arguably better on the RC, but that is moot for me. I don't prime in a SS.

The ball handle is preferable to me as well. And I guess there might be an occasion in the future where the additional ram travel might be useful.

Bazoo
08-01-2019, 10:27 PM
I like the ball handle myself, but that's an easy fix on any press for a man with a drill it and some JB weld. Been aiming to put a ball on my spartan, but ain't run across one yet.