PDA

View Full Version : Best SMALL progressive reloader?

clydesdalekevin
07-30-2019, 10:03 PM
I'm a fulltime RVer, and want to get back into reloading. What is the BEST small progressive reloader on the market now? I mostly just want to reload .44 Magnum and maybe .357 and .38 Special rounds. I also want to start casting my own bullets for the .44 Magnum, so any input into that would be helpful as well (in other words, what is the best mold to get). It has to be the smallest GOOD progressive reloader as possible, since we don't have a heck of a lot of storage room in our RV.

Thanks!

Kev

dbosman
07-30-2019, 10:40 PM
Are we limited to current production presses?
If so, the Lee turret press, less the automated bullet and case feeders, is probably your best press. I'd top that with an RCBS Little Dandy fixed cavity rotor measure. That could use an up to date powder chart. The Lee Auto Drum could be hacked into a fixed cavity powder dispenser.

rancher1913
07-30-2019, 10:52 PM
if it wasn't so caliber spacific the old star presses would work good.

JimB..
07-30-2019, 11:08 PM
You can load those calibers on a Dillon Square Deal. Only con is that the dies are proprietary, good but proprietary.

MT Chambers
07-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Is a Lee turret press a "progressive press"?

onelight
07-30-2019, 11:54 PM
Is a Lee turret press a "progressive press"?
It would be a turret by our definitions it works 1 die each stroke progressives work all the dies on-the press each stoke.

onelight
07-31-2019, 12:18 AM
You could sure make better use of limited storage with a light single stage that could size bullets. And it would probably hold up better to bouncing down the highway and constantly packed and unpacked . Also how many components are you going to cary cases bullets primers powder . Just somethings to consider.

skeettx
07-31-2019, 12:30 AM
https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/3082

sigep1764
07-31-2019, 01:06 AM
Another vote for the SDB. Short handle stroke and a small footprint compared to the 550B. Other than height, it shouldn't take up any more space than say a RockChucker.

jmorris
07-31-2019, 08:41 AM
I have two 34 year old SD’s that are the ones I grab if I want a small progressive, for pistol rounds.

https://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

clydesdalekevin
07-31-2019, 08:51 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I'll do some research into all of your suggestions. I wouldn't be opposed to a single stage press that resizes the cases though. Which one of those should I be looking at?

Kev

15meter
07-31-2019, 09:00 AM
I have two 34 year old SD’s that are the ones I grab if I want a small progressive, for pistol rounds.

And he didn't even mention the trailer hitch mount for the press, that may be the second most important aspect of that photo, after the Square Deal B, my vote for best small pistol press.

That mount appears to be tall, wouldn't be difficult to fab a shorter one that you can sit at while loading with the plus it is smaller to store.

dverna
07-31-2019, 09:07 AM
You will not be happy with a single stage. It is too slow and you will want to leave it set up...and that will be a pain. The Dillon Square Deal is the one I would choose and I used to RV so I understand the constraints.

I do not see casting as viable. Everything about casting is heavy and messy. Not conducive to RV'ing. Sure, it can be done, but unless you shoot a lot, buying cast bullets makes the most sense.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2019, 09:13 AM
square deal hands down. If you think you might someday want to do rifle then go to a 550.

hermans
07-31-2019, 09:24 AM
Another vote for the Dillon Square Deal!

RSB
07-31-2019, 09:40 AM
I now have 2 550's. I had a square deal and I found that my short fat hands just didn't work well with the small opening. Now, that's just me, other then that it's a sound press for what it's intended to do.

str8wal
07-31-2019, 10:16 AM
I can load up to 200 9mm an hour on a Lee 3-hole Turret. That is "progressive" enough for me. Small package as well.

mdi
07-31-2019, 10:54 AM
I've always referred to a fully loaded Lee turret press as "semi-progressive". On the turret you can put one case in the shell holder, pull the handle 4 times and get a finished round. With a progressive press you will load several cases, pull the handle a few times and then finished cartridges fall out every time the handle is pulled.

Not knowing anything about your RV, can't really answer about casting. You'll need 120v service, good ventilation, plenty of elbow room, and a good solid place to put your pot. I'm sure there are plenty of places to store casting equipment and supplies, but you want plenty of room for safe casting...

One of the most popular 44 Magnum cast bullets is the old Lyman 429421 design. A "classic" 44 cal. bullet.

onelight
07-31-2019, 12:18 PM
If
I've always referred to a fully loaded Lee turret press as "semi-progressive". On the turret you can put one case in the shell holder, pull the handle 4 times and get a finished round. With a progressive press you will load several cases, pull the handle a few times and then finished cartridges fall out every time the handle is pulled.

Not knowing anything about your RV, can't really answer about casting. You'll need 120v service, good ventilation, plenty of elbow room, and a good solid place to put your pot. I'm sure there are plenty of places to store casting equipment and supplies, but you want plenty of room for safe casting...

One of the most popular 44 Magnum cast bullets is the old Lyman 429421 design. A "classic" 44 cal. bullet.
Yup turrets blur the line they are progressive single stage presses.
clydesdalekevin has some careful planning to do how much space he will dedicate to equipment and supplies, he might want to add a rifle to what he loads for at some point with pistol I would want at least 100 cases per caliber. Rifle bolt , singe shot , or lever at least 40 . Small quantities don’t need near the space to store for bullets powder and primers. Turrets with dies or the die holders for progressives take up a lot more space than a flat box of dies even with the Hornady or Lee Loc-n-load bushings ....if you don’t have room for 500 cases and stuff to feed them for at least the 2 calibers what is the point of a fast more complex press .
Only he knows , but you can load any common caliber on a small single stage.
For several years I had all my equipment and supplies except the press in 1 waxed poultry box . Normal routine was resize reprime 1 evening , powder & bullets the next. At the relaxed pace I enjoy the process.

JBinMN
07-31-2019, 01:00 PM
I'm a fulltime RVer, and want to get back into reloading. What is the BEST small progressive reloader on the market now? I mostly just want to reload .44 Magnum and maybe .357 and .38 Special rounds. I also want to start casting my own bullets for the .44 Magnum, so any input into that would be helpful as well (in other words, what is the best mold to get). It has to be the smallest GOOD progressive reloader as possible, since we don't have a heck of a lot of storage room in our RV.

Thanks!

Kev

While I cannot tell you about what might be the BEST "small progressive" press on the market now, I am going to try to offer you some considerations on your options by trying to point out some of the things that "I" would think about were I to be in an RV and was thinking about such possibilities to accomplish reloading as well as casting.

I do not own an RV, but I still have & own an over the cab pickup camper and have plenty of experience with using it & going on adventures & the limited spaces there are to do things similar to reloading.

In order to try to offer things to consider, I am going to ask questions that you can answer here or not, but they are some of the things I would be pondering to reload "on the road".

What does one already have for equipment that will be used to reload:

Obviously if one doesn't already have the misc. items needed to do just simple reloading, one might just consider going to the store & loading up a cart with what one might think one would need & then one would have a good idea of what sort of things, as well as how much space they take up, along with the press & other items one might not yet have that one may want in the future.(powder(s), primers, cases, etc.)
If someone already have such items, then placing them all in an area to figure out how much space it would take to organize & store them would likely be a good idea as well.

Which leads to....

Space for storage:

How much space does one really have to store the items necessary to reload? One is going to need to have storage space in the RV for the press, dies, and all the other little items one uses to reload, ( Measuring devices, etc., unless one is just going to "wing it" in regard to some of the quality & safety of your products.) as well as some containers to keep things fairly organized.

Space to actually do the reloading:

Are you going to be reloaing inside the RV & do you have the sturdy table to do it on, or are you planning to use a stand. ( If going to use a stand, consider revisiting the above points to consider.) Are you planning to do it outside with a stand, or just clamp it to a picnic table or the like?

This is something one needs to consider very well... Just where one is going to work & what environmental conditions one will be dealing with, such as heat, wind, humidity, etc.), as well as how well one want one store their gear to prevent issues with those same environmental issues to prevent rusting, excess heat, etc. while in storage.

Amount of shooting, thus reloading desired:

How often does one plan to be shooting, how many rounds expected to shoot, & thus how often is there a need to reload & how much to reload? Shooting every day, occasionally in a week, once every 10 days/2 weeks, once a month? As well as how often will one be able to reload either inside or outside depending on the space available & conditions one is reloading in. Conditions meaning weather to be shooting in as well as weather conditions for reloading outside.

---------------------------------

The questions , while directed towards reloading would also be used for casting by substituting, "casting" for "reloading" above.

(BTW, If you do decide to cast, you will also have to consider how are you going to size( if necessary) & lubricate those boolits?)

I have some more things that one might consider but I will stop there with those.

I also have answers that I would have for those considerations that apply to "ME", but they would not likely do "You" any good except for things that might apply to you as well.

On reloading outside though, I mentioned the environment above & if you have ever tried to reload when it is windy, or brutal hot where the sweat is dripping off of ya, or vice versa, cold & fingers are numb trying to do something with fine motor control, and/or other side effects of doing things out in the weather, keep in mind that such things will limit the times you will have to reload/cast.

If you are going to do it inside, then you will need the space to do the same even though you are controlling the environment for the most part, where you would store the items before & after you use them also becomes a consideration. If you are going to store them outside, then you will have to take into account what the conditions are outside. ( I.E. Cold out & then you bring the items inside, condensation can occur which promotes corrosion , etc., or the vice versa by taking outside in hot weather from cool inside.)

I will stop with my points now to try to keep things simple...

I think that is a good thing to remember. to Keep things Simple. ( K.I.S.S.)

G'Luck, regardless of what ya decide to do.
:)

gwpercle
07-31-2019, 02:18 PM
You could sure make better use of limited storage with a light single stage that could size bullets. And it would probably hold up better to bouncing down the highway and constantly packed and unpacked . Also how many components are you going to cary cases bullets primers powder . Just somethings to consider.

Lee Hand Press or better Buchanan Precision Hand Press . Neither are progressive but both are compact...in RV situation compact might trump progressive .
I now reload all my handgun ammo 32acp to 41magum + 45 acp/Colt and 30-30 with a hand press.
They do a fine job and take up little space .
Gary

onelight
07-31-2019, 03:11 PM

NICE , the only press I have ever seen at a range is my old Spartan.

clydesdalekevin
07-31-2019, 05:08 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies! This is one heck of a valuable gun forum!

Kev

JimB..
07-31-2019, 06:04 PM
I’ll still say Dillon SDB, but you might also consider reloading what you need at home and just taking ammo. Could also pack a hand press, dies and a scale just in case you have an unplanned need. I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a Buchanan.

Walter Laich
07-31-2019, 06:27 PM
If you don't already have dies the SDB dies won't be a problem--you're going to need some anyway. I started out with a SDB and just got its dies as I needed them.

kmw1954
07-31-2019, 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_4D48yQeo

My suggestion would have to be the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. It is not the most robust press or the fastest press but it is small, stable and very versatile. It can be equipped with the Lee case feeder and red collator. These speed it up a good bit. The bottleneck is still in the priming as it uses the Safety Prime which slows it down a bit but works fairly well. It was basically designed to work pistol rounds but will work with some bottleneck rifle cases. Advantage over the Dillon SDB is of course initial price and the standard 7/8"X14 dies instead of the proprietary dies.

JeepHammer
07-31-2019, 08:32 PM
For casting, you will need a swage/lube setup, and then a progressive reloading press.

Swage/lube presses are usually heavy built, while reloading only are lighter duty presses.

I'm with Mr. Morris on the Dillon SBD for pistol rounds, especially when you are starting from scratch and the dies aren't already existing on your bench.
An SBD won't swage or lube, no progressive I know of will do those jobs, but my SBDs load really reliably.

tecdac
07-31-2019, 09:18 PM
In my own reloading room at home I have had a Dillon 650, 550 and 2 Square Deal B's.
I now have pared back to just the SDB. I have taken it with me on shooting trips with a portable reloading table.
It's awesome.

HeavyMetal
07-31-2019, 09:48 PM
go with the 4 station Lee turret press, the 4 station can be empty or you can put a late model FCD Die in it.

Since you'll be casting thats a good idea, I like Dillon but the Square Deal dies don't cut it because of the proprietary nature, the advantage to the 7/8x14 dies is you can use any press and change them out as your fancy changes with the Square Deal your locked in period!

As a side note Lyman 429421, or a good clone, is the mold of choice.

I figure if you need more than 200 rounds an hour you really need a house, LOL!

Luck to ya!

HM

onelight
07-31-2019, 10:04 PM
I keep thinking about a portable stand that could be used inside the RV and be small , light weight , easy and quick to setup and take down and sturdy enough to handle a press. If hand held is not the choice the stand will be the toughest part. A lot of this would be dictated by the design of the RV

jmorris
08-01-2019, 10:16 AM
I can load up to 200 9mm an hour on a Lee 3-hole Turret. That is "progressive" enough for me.

How many strokes does it take you to load those 200 rounds?

If you start and finish with a full shell plate it takes 200 strokes to load 200 rounds on a progressive press. If it takes you more than that, like 300 and charge off the press or 400, it’s not a progressive.

My SD’s are not the fastest progressives I have but once ready to go, I can load 100 rounds in under 10 minutes.

David2011
08-03-2019, 04:22 PM
The SDB does have a tiny footprint but the space to use it is only about 2" less than any other press. The "elbow room" required both for you and the press are about the same. I do believe the SDB will do anything you have laid out as a requirement. You could size on a single stage press but a dedicated sizer is smaller.

str8wal
08-05-2019, 10:25 AM
How many strokes does it take you to load those 200 rounds?

If you start and finish with a full shell plate it takes 200 strokes to load 200 rounds on a progressive press. If it takes you more than that, like 300 and charge off the press or 400, it’s not a progressive.

My SD’s are not the fastest progressives I have but once ready to go, I can load 100 rounds in under 10 minutes.

It takes three strokes of the handle per round. Not a true progressive but if size is critical it serves well enough. As I said "progressive" enough for me, and doesn't take up much room and is fast to do a change-over.

Gus Youmans
08-05-2019, 12:21 PM
clydesdalekevin,

I would also vote for the Lee four hole turret press. It may not be as fast as the SDB but it is more versatile and the foot print is not much more than the SDB. I reloaded on an old three hole Lee turret press for eight years while stationed in Germany and Fort Irwin, California. My Rockchucker was in storage but I never really missed it. I found that with the right case lube and proper technique I could even resize .308 brass to .243. The press was mounted on a piece of plywood that was clamped in the jaws of the Workmate when in use. For storage the plywood and press slid off the Workmate and both were stored in a corner of a closet. My old Workmate is a much better design with wider legs than the new Workmates and was very stable.

I gave the old three hole press to a nephew and have a newer four hole turret press on the bench. Admittedly, it does not get used much due to the four true progressive presses on the bench but it is convenient when I need to do just a few of something.

Gus Youmans

stevo1911
08-05-2019, 12:58 PM
I have mostly Dillon presses: one 650, two 550's, and three SQB's and Lyman Turret 8(just starting rifle). I find that I rarely use the SQB's as they are small and awkward for me to operate compared to the 550 or 650. I also find it challenging to transition between calibers compared to the 550. I have removed the SQB's from my bench and gave them to my Dad. From a versatility POV the 550 is hard to beat. I will say that the SQB's do produce quality reloads. Since you are so crammed for space, maybe you can find couple used SQB's at a reasonable price.

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2019, 09:47 AM
lee isn't progressive so unless your talking a pro 1000 (god forbid) lees don't meet the criteria. Dillion square deals do use proprietary dies. But can be converted to different calibers just as quickly as you can change a lee turrent. Add to that you don't have to handle and place each tiny primer on a primer cup. Id about bet someone that can run a square deal can load a 1000 rounds in the time it takes you to do 300 on a turrent press. probably faster then you an do 200 if he has 10 primer tubes filled and ready to go. Me I like shooting. I reload to shoot. I don't shoot to get brass to reload. So if I can reload all I need for a week in an hour vs 4 hours and do that every week for 10 years that's 1500 hours of my life I have for other things. that's 63 days or if your days like mine and you do something constructive with it for say 12 that's a 120 days more you have to spend with your family, friends, shoot, fish, hunt ect. Square deal is a no brainer to me.
go with the 4 station Lee turret press, the 4 station can be empty or you can put a late model FCD Die in it.

Since you'll be casting thats a good idea, I like Dillon but the Square Deal dies don't cut it because of the proprietary nature, the advantage to the 7/8x14 dies is you can use any press and change them out as your fancy changes with the Square Deal your locked in period!

As a side note Lyman 429421, or a good clone, is the mold of choice.

I figure if you need more than 200 rounds an hour you really need a house, LOL!

Luck to ya!

HM

onelight
08-06-2019, 10:53 AM
lee isn't progressive so unless your talking a pro 1000 (god forbid) lees don't meet the criteria. Dillion square deals do use proprietary dies. But can be converted to different calibers just as quickly as you can change a lee turrent. Add to that you don't have to handle and place each tiny primer on a primer cup. Id about bet someone that can run a square deal can load a 1000 rounds in the time it takes you to do 300 on a turrent press. probably faster then you an do 200 if he has 10 primer tubes filled and ready to go. Me I like shooting. I reload to shoot. I don't shoot to get brass to reload. So if I can reload all I need for a week in an hour vs 4 hours and do that every week for 10 years that's 1500 hours of my life I have for other things. that's 63 days or if your days like mine and you do something constructive with it for say 12 that's a 120 days more you have to spend with your family, friends, shoot, fish, hunt ect. Square deal is a no brainer to me.
What I hear about the square deal is nothing but good and it seems a lot of the guys that like them and have more than 1 and they are faster than the LCT (it does have a primer feed) but don't race the LCT loading 50 , 45s then 50 , 38s then 20 , 30/06 or 3030 you can't run that race and that is how a lot of people load. There is a reason people have multiple square deals . But you only need 1 LCT I would like to have a. Square Deal as another press but for me , not an only press.
Lee also has the auto breech lock pro , progressive (it has a primer feed to :bigsmyl2:)

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Ya I guess if your loading 50 rounds of ammo a lee hand press would suffice. Not worth starting up my truck to go to the woods to shoot 50 rounds of ammo. Most of us out grew lee tools and even the quality slower tools because we because 50 rounds of 38s are a mild warmup. But I understand not everyone shoots like that. Some like to ride there Harleys some like to fish. I like to SHOOT. Not to bust your chops but to be honest if I had to go back to a single stage press or even a turrent press (by the way my first press was a lyman T) id be selling lots of guns. LOTS. Id probably have to work 8 hours a week just to keep up to my 9mms and I sure wouldn't go to the range with 500 556 shells to blast steel. Sell guns? Heck id probably be looking for a noose. I once dug and back filled a 2 bedroom septic system with nothing but a shovel. Doesn't make that shovel better then a back hoe in ANY way. Took me 5 LONG days for me and my buddy who helped some to do it. Ive got better things to do with 5 days. Im 63 now and don't have all that many more years and im not wasting it wading in mud at the reloading bench.

onelight
08-06-2019, 01:26 PM
We are not about a your truck we were talking about a reloading kit to use in an RV .

kmw1954
08-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Once again I think we are losing sight of the original question. What is the Best SMALL progressive?

No matter how you try to sell it or dress it a turret press, even the auto indexing Lee, is not a progressive press.

If one is to be honest about SMALL then there are only 3 choices. Dillon SDB, Lee Pro1000 or the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. All other progressive presses are not SMALL when set side by side with these three presses.

I am not going to interject my opinion as to which one is best because that opinion is only relative to me. I do not shoot as you do nor do I reload the same way you do it. It may come down to your favorite color or how you can position the handle. Could even be just because you are right handed and I am left handed!

My only input will be that of the 3 I believe the Auto Breech Lock Pro is the slowest of the bunch and that is because of the Safety Prime system. Other than that, they all work and make very accurate ammunition.

onelight
08-06-2019, 02:42 PM
You make a good point kmw1954 , nobody but the op can decide what features are important to him at the volume of loading he needs in his RV .

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2019, 02:48 PM
you could throw the star loader in there too if you can find one and unless you can hands down a square deal
Once again I think we are losing sight of the original question. What is the Best SMALL progressive?

No matter how you try to sell it or dress it a turret press, even the auto indexing Lee, is not a progressive press.

If one is to be honest about SMALL then there are only 3 choices. Dillon SDB, Lee Pro1000 or the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. All other progressive presses are not SMALL when set side by side with these three presses.

I am not going to interject my opinion as to which one is best because that opinion is only relative to me. I do not shoot as you do nor do I reload the same way you do it. It may come down to your favorite color or how you can position the handle. Could even be just because you are right handed and I am left handed!

My only input will be that of the 3 I believe the Auto Breech Lock Pro is the slowest of the bunch and that is because of the Safety Prime system. Other than that, they all work and make very accurate ammunition.

kmw1954
08-06-2019, 03:03 PM
you could throw the star loader in there too if you can find one and unless you can hands down a square deal

First of all the Star is no longer in production, next as you say IF you can find one and then if you can find one what is it going to cost. So I hardly see the Star being a viable solution.

The last part is pure personal opinion and has no more validity than mine or anyone that disagrees with your.

Smoke4320
08-06-2019, 04:30 PM
If Pistol calibers only(as stated) Dillon SDB hands down for a true progressive YMMV

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Star isn't in production anymore???? :popcorn: Would have never known. It was brought up because it was a fine small progressive press. That said no better then a square deal and a lot more complicated. How do i know?? I owned one and that's what I TALK ABOUT. Things ive actually owned and loaded thousands of rounds on. And the last is YOUR personal opinion and that's about it.

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2019, 04:38 PM
246392Star isn't in production anymore???? :popcorn: Would have never known. It was brought up because it was a fine small progressive press. That said no better then a square deal and a lot more complicated. How do i know?? I owned one and that's what I TALK ABOUT. Things ive actually owned and loaded thousands of rounds on. And the last is YOUR personal opinion and that's about it.

kmw1954
08-06-2019, 04:53 PM
From this website; https://www.starreloaders.com/

A new website dedicated to information and discussion of the old Star Machine Works Progressive and Universal reloaders made from the 1930's to the 1990's. We are not a commercial business and are not affiliated with any commercial reloader manufacturer, although our members do provide support and resources! The Star Machine Works of San Diego produced these exceptional reloaders and deserves their reputation for quality products. The company is no longer in operation, but the name and lifetime quality continues on for future generations of reloaders and shooters.

From the picture you posted it sure looks like that machine has a larger footprint than the Dillon next to it.

And once again your opinion is worth what I paid for it. Bout the same as you paid for mine. ZERO.

onelight
08-06-2019, 06:14 PM
so why bring up a truck then. stick around 10 more years and MAYBE your opinion of my post will matter to me.
Sorry my mistake I was thinking the neat square deal on the receiver hitch was yours. Dumb mistake on my part he was posting something useful.

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2019, 07:44 AM
bit slow:?. I think I already knew they were out of business. They actually aren't a lot bigger then a square deal. Its the case feeder and mount that make it look so much larger.
From this website; https://www.starreloaders.com/

A new website dedicated to information and discussion of the old Star Machine Works Progressive and Universal reloaders made from the 1930's to the 1990's. We are not a commercial business and are not affiliated with any commercial reloader manufacturer, although our members do provide support and resources! The Star Machine Works of San Diego produced these exceptional reloaders and deserves their reputation for quality products. The company is no longer in operation, but the name and lifetime quality continues on for future generations of reloaders and shooters.

From the picture you posted it sure looks like that machine has a larger footprint than the Dillon next to it.

And once again your opinion is worth what I paid for it. Bout the same as you paid for mine. ZERO.

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2019, 07:45 AM
not a problem. takes a man to admit there wrong. I respect that.
Sorry my mistake I was thinking the neat square deal on the receiver hitch was yours. Dumb mistake on my part he was posting something useful.

6bg6ga
08-07-2019, 07:53 AM
It depends on the amount of arthritis and dexterity you have. I found that I had trouble getting my hands into the square deal to insert another round but that's just me. For me the ideal press would be a used 550 since you want to load different calibers.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-07-2019, 11:20 AM
For a small press that works well for revolver cartridges and short rifle(223,7.62x39), the Lee Pro 1000 would work well. I have two. I keep one setup for 38 Special and 357. Two separate and complete die/powder measures on two different turrets. I have another for 44 Special, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. Again three separate turrets setup for each caliber. The biggest deal with a 3-die pistol setup is getting the seater/crimp die set properly to both seat and crimp. It can be done with just a little fussing. Standard dies are used. Changeover from large primer to small primer would be the most complicated part, but most(all?) presses have the issue. I have a Dillon 550 and a LEE Loadmaster. Both are much bigger, but I still use the Pro 1000's for revolver cartridges. If you haven't reloaded, one of the single stage hand presses and other reloading 'stuff' are in order first.

kmw1954
08-07-2019, 11:53 AM
I'm a fulltime RVer, and want to get back into reloading. What is the BEST small progressive reloader on the market now? I mostly just want to reload .44 Magnum and maybe .357 and .38 Special rounds. . It has to be the smallest GOOD progressive reloader as possible, since we don't have a heck of a lot of storage room in our RV.

Thanks!

Kev

Look at this from a different angle. As a full time RV'er just how much room do you have to work with and what are your ideas for mounting the press? I believe these are bigger issues than which press. You are still going to need to firmly attach the press to something and different presses have different requirements because of the amount of force they exert on whatever they are mounted to. Next you are still going to need work space to lay out components, a scale and all the work that is in progress.

The amount of actual storage space needed when it is all broken down is all going to be about the same no matter which press you chose, Be it the small Lee Progressive or the Larger Dillon. The press frames are going to need and take up about the same amount of space.

Gus Youmans
08-07-2019, 11:55 AM
In an earlier post I offered the Lee Classic Turret press as a possible alternative even though it is not a progressive press. Since then several people have also mentioned the Lee Auto Breechlock Pro as a suitable choice. I intentionally did not recommend the Auto Breechlock Pro because I have been using one for about a year and have issues with it. In its basic form, without any accessories, the press will give almost 100% trouble-free service but as accessories are added reliability diminishes.

The Lee Auto Drum and Auto Disk powder measures work as advertised and do not cause any issues; however, like any other progressive press, the opportunity exists to double charge a case if the user lowers the handle and then raises it again without advancing or removing the case. The problem is not unique to this press but the issues that arise with other accessories make it more likely that the user will lower the ram to rectify a problem than with other presses.

The primer feed system is the most frequently voiced complaint. I could only get 85-90% success and have resorted to hand priming all my cases before reloading them. This is not a real problem for me because I deprime all my cases and run them through a steel pin tumbler before continuing the reloading process. I just sit in front of the tv and prime cases with a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool.

The other issue is with the case feeder. In use, the case feeder drops a case in front of the slider block which then pushes the case into the shell plate. Occasionally, a case will not drop flat on its base and will fall on its side or be canted. I have minimized this occurrence by slowing down, giving the cases more time to settle on the platform before the slider block engages them. If the user does not catch the problem the case will usually get crushed. Also, if longer cases get mixed with the cases for which the case feeder has been set up to feed it will jam the slider block. This has occurred when .357 cases were mixed with .38 Special and 10mm were mixed with .40 S&W. However, if all I am doing is depriming cases and can concentrate on that single function everything goes pretty smoothly.

The case collator and case feeder are not sold together but the case collator saves an incredible amount of time over just the case feeder tubes. In use, just throw a handful of cases in the collator, shake it around a little and all the cases fall into the tubes. Repeat until all the tubes are filled. Otherwise, feeding single cases into tubes is a tedious, time consuming process.

In addition to the Lee Auto Breechlock press, I have a Dillon 550 with case feeder, a Hornady Lock-N-Load progessive with case feeder, and a RCBS Piggyback progressive. Of those four presses, the Dillon 550 has the most trouble free primer feed system and case feeder. If I could only have one progressive press it would be the Dillon 550. Although I do not own a Square Deal B and have never used one, I think the OP would be better suited with the SDB than the Lee Auto Breech Lock, if those were his only options. I still think that the Lee Classic Turret press should be a consideration because of it simplicity and versatility even though it is not a progressive press.

Gus Youmans

onelight
08-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Good post Gus ,
just curious do you have the most current version of the Lee safety prime ?

Gus Youmans
08-07-2019, 04:55 PM
onelight,

I have both the original version and the current versions of the safety prime and neither works as reliably as I would like. Admittedly, some of the issues have been operator induced.

The Dillon 550 spoiled me because all I had to do was start a bullet, pull the handle, advance the case, and repeat. The case feeder is the only thing that ever hiccups, and even then very seldom, so it is easy to get into a rhythm. The issues with the Auto Breechlock occur much more frequently and I can never seem to get into a rhythm.

I am determined to figure out and resolve all the issues with the Auto Breechlock, come hell or high water. Otherwise, I would have sold it by now.

Gus Youmans

onelight
08-07-2019, 08:46 PM
onelight,

I have both the original version and the current versions of the safety prime and neither works as reliably as I would like. Admittedly, some of the issues have been operator induced.

The Dillon 550 spoiled me because all I had to do was start a bullet, pull the handle, advance the case, and repeat. The case feeder is the only thing that ever hiccups, and even then very seldom, so it is easy to get into a rhythm. The issues with the Auto Breechlock occur much more frequently and I can never seem to get into a rhythm.

I am determined to figure out and resolve all the issues with the Auto Breechlock, come hell or high water. Otherwise, I would have sold it by now.

Gus Youmans
It took me several hundred rounds to get the used to it .
I think I have three different versions of the primer feed and the newest is the best and the primer system was what drew me to the ABLP it worked well for me on the LCT I still occasionally drop a primer when feeding it perhaps 1 in a hundred but have one of the plastic bins under the primer feed and they are caught and I have the habit of looking at the primer loaded before continuing so if I fumble it I just load another I am sure you know this but the adjustment of your sizing die is critical to smooth feeding , it is what positions the cup to receive the primer if the sizing die is to high or to low I get miss-feeds. I have loaded several thousand rounds at this point . But I tend to run it slow and steady and always prime on it.
It's no Dillon 550 but I am pleased with mine and would buy it again.
One other thing I check is to make sure the primer cup has a smooth radius so the primers enter easily Leaned that on my first Lyman and smooth the corner of the cup on all my tools.
This ain't your first rodeo so you probably know all this.

Gus Youmans
08-07-2019, 09:03 PM
onelight,

I have to reload some .357s in the next couple of weeks and will dig out the safety prime and give it another go.

Gus Youmans

onelight
08-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Wish you the best with it .
My first couple hundred rounds I was talking to my self , handle down , case , primer handle up bullet , handle down case , primer over and over.:razz:
If I fumbled a primer it would drive me nuts , added the bin and they would just drop in it and just load them back in next primer fill up now I may go 400 and not drop any get sloppy and start dropping. Now I can feel if I let them get low and one doesn't feed. The good thing if you look at the primer in the cup you can deal with it before it progresses . I watch the case feed incase one tips or I got one upside down I just go at a casual pace and it runs smoothly usually 2 to 300 an hour that includes refilling the cases , primers and powder.

Not fast by progressive standards but a loaded round every pull of the handle.

stevo1911
08-08-2019, 08:32 AM
I will say that I have pinched/squished my fingers on multiple times when reloading taller revolver cases like .357s and 44s on the Square Deals.

kmw1954
08-08-2019, 09:01 PM
I hate hijacking threads but I'll add a quick tidbit.

With the safety Prime I hold the dispenser in the left hand with the index finger curled underneath and then push the top of the dispenser with my thumb. That seemed to cut down most all miss feeds.

JBinMN
08-08-2019, 09:25 PM
I have been waiting for the OP, clydesdalekevin/Kev to return & tell us more about what is being considered.

Since the OP is the one with the desire & knows what space/time/etc. is available, how much shooting, thus reloading & even casting will be done, where it may be done ( inside or outside for the reloading), storage limitations, and as much pertinent info that can help us help the OP, and shares with everyone here about such things, all that is going to be done here is basically tossing out things & see what happens. Or, not...

I am posting this with the intent to help us help the OP & not to "point fingers", or any of that.

As you all know, the more detail & specifics shared by someone, the better & more specific the answers/suggestions & opinions will be to help with the situation.

onelight
08-08-2019, 11:54 PM
I hate hijacking threads but I'll add a quick tidbit.

With the safety Prime I hold the dispenser in the left hand with the index finger curled underneath and then push the top of the dispenser with my thumb. That seemed to cut down most all miss feeds.
I put my left hand fingers on the back of the frame post on the left side and work the feed with my thumb , I had to go to the press to see how I do it.:-o

shadowjames
08-14-2019, 12:27 PM
the cheap way is a lee 1000 and the better is a dillion 550 or 650

5 iron
08-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I'll do some research into all of your suggestions. I wouldn't be opposed to a single stage press that resizes the cases though. Which one of those should I be looking at?

Kev

For a small lightweight single stage, you can load any pistol cartridge using a $35 Lee Reloader press. The new Lyman Ideal Press looks promising and it has a good primer catcher.

Dragonheart
08-20-2019, 11:11 AM
When you really get down to it are you going to store a press or leave it set up? Once set up the press footprint is not all that different between progressives, it is the vertical height and what you hang on the press that makes a difference.

I think the real answer here is what kind of reloading speed are you eventually going to be happy with? You can put a Lee Loader in your pocket and it will turn out ammo. I think the Square Deal is a good limited press, but not for sizing bullets. A compromise on operations may be in order but once again you need to find the eventual goal that will make you happy.

Russman
08-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Dillon square deal b,no question!keep in mind it only does handgun loads but boy does it do them well.Also the additional cost of each caliber you want to reload but it is well worth the money and a timesaver like no other!

kmw1954
08-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Dillon square deal b,no question!keep in mind it only does handgun loads but boy does it do them well.Also the additional cost of each caliber you want to reload but it is well worth the money and a timesaver like no other!

Until about one year ago I would have mostly agreed but now with the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro I have to give it the hands down best. Will load more than just pistol calibers and uses standard common dies. Also can add the case feeder that speeds things up.