PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use as a mat on the workbench?

Kev18
07-29-2019, 06:38 PM
Im looking around for materials to use as a mat on the workbench. I bought two of the Hoppe's green felt mats but those are cheap and leave green fluff everywhere! What do you use to keep guns from getting beat up on the bench? I know they make those black schematic mats but those are ugly.

Petrol & Powder
07-29-2019, 06:44 PM
On the bench where I clean guns and work on guns I prefer no mat. A plywood top, stained and well oiled with linseed oil fills the role.
The pine plywood sheet is soft enough that it doesn't mar the finish on the guns and solvents will not harm the plywood.

MaLar
07-29-2019, 07:45 PM
I use a dish drying mat.

pworley1
07-29-2019, 07:53 PM
I use an old bath towel.

bangerjim
07-29-2019, 07:55 PM
A ¼" thick piece of Baltic birch. Protects the bench top and is easily replicable when it develops anything that can scratch a gun. And an old bath towel comes in handy at times. Don't waste money on specialty mats and the such.

banger

KenT7021
07-29-2019, 07:56 PM
I have used a gun cleaning mat from Walmart.It was either Winchester or Hoppe's brand.It is good quality.

Bazoo
07-29-2019, 08:00 PM
I just have a bare plywood top on my bench. I also use a cleaning board I made about 18x24 from 1/2 plywood with a raised frame around the edge to keep small parts from rolling off. On either I just use a rag for any guns or parts i don't want scuffed. Not much better than an old towel. A few years ago the wife got me for Christmas an MTM shooting range box. Expensive, but nice. It's got forks to hold rifles and plenty of storage for all my cleaning supplies. I use it exclusively for cleaning and light gunsmithing duties. I also use a vintage outers box that a cleaning kit came in. It's about 1 3/4x5x12. I use it for just a quick cleaning or to pack with me, course I put my own goodies in it.

Winger Ed.
07-29-2019, 08:18 PM
I use a big beach towel folded a couple times.

I'm careful about getting oil on it, I'll throw down shop rags on top of it for that.
When it gets dirty, it's easy to sneak back into the laundry.

JBinMN
07-29-2019, 08:19 PM
I use an old bath towel.

For cleaning firearms. Ditto.

country gent
07-29-2019, 08:20 PM
A fine woven bath towel works well and keeps parts and screws from rolling around. I have used rubber floor mats at times but the black surface can make seeing parts harder. I prefer the wood surface and if needed the towel where Im working. The wood top should be sealed well so spills and drips don't soak in as easily

EMC45
07-29-2019, 08:27 PM
An old hand towel or a piece of black rubber conveyer belt.

Bazoo
07-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Lots of times I clean my gun outside if I'm not going to go into detailed disassembly. Sometimes I set on the ground and sometimes on a round and use a round for a table.

BigAlofPa.
07-29-2019, 09:07 PM
I use a disposable chux for cleaning barrels. Other than that i have a black matt on the bench i got at walmart. I think it's an Allen brand. I have one of the Hoppes ones. The backing on it is cheap. I use it for storing stuff on as a non slip matt.

buckshotshoey
07-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Carpet welcome mats. A buck apiece on sale at a dollar store. You dont have to be fancy or spend big bucks to get something that works. And these will last forever as a gun mat.245977

onelight
07-29-2019, 09:34 PM
I use a commercial looking door mat from Lowe’s smooth rubbber on one side the other side is some kind of ribbed fabric when working on guns , stuff does not roll away on the fabric side I put a towel on it or flip it over for cleaning.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asset.php?fid=209661&uid=43719&d=1563816289
I can’t get the drag and drop to work on my I-pad but the carpet side is what the BISLEY is on.

Texas by God
07-29-2019, 09:45 PM
My nephew gave me his M16a2 training/cleaning cloth from Marine boot camp. I need to top mine with plywood. The linoleum went years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Walks
07-29-2019, 09:54 PM
I use one of those big oil soak up cleaning mats.
Or a couple of big old folded bath towels on the Dinning room table, when my Wife is gone for the day and the windows are open.

alamogunr
07-29-2019, 10:38 PM
I use a gun cleaning mat from Midway. I got a couple of them back when Midway sent out a monthly newspaper type sale circular. Don't remember how much I paid but back then I didn't have lot of "gun" money so it couldn't have been much.

Since then I have trimmed one to fit a small plastic tub that I take to the range just in case.

Kev18
07-30-2019, 12:08 AM
Carpet welcome mats. A buck apiece on sale at a dollar store. You dont have to be fancy or spend big bucks to get something that works. And these will last forever as a gun mat.245977

Thats what I was thinking of. You can get different sizes and qualities/materials.

lead-1
07-30-2019, 12:37 AM
I've used a sheet of cardboard or a couple of old tee shirts folded over, even used those long one piece floor mats for pickup trucks on sale at flea markets.

762 shooter
07-30-2019, 08:01 AM
I use a sheet of old green drafting table cover. Back in the days before CAD.

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM27005/products_id/PRO18521?sc_cid=Google_ALV-VBC44-1&adtype=pla&kw=&CAWELAID=1238941572&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=13096014977&CATCI=pla-88313906657&gclid=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKDVVgej2pmD1mWL0qv4g CFZx_Y4wZIZ0-f4Vs_9j_0QCXiUEhTwLsBoCgH0QAvD_BwE

Seems impervious to solvents and such.

waksupi
07-30-2019, 10:43 AM
Shelf lining mats work fairly well. I staple the corners to keep them in place.

PTCSmith
07-30-2019, 11:39 AM
I use a 2' x 3' piece of beige carpet from a cheap store near me called "Ollies." The carpet has a low pile height and keeps pins and screws from rolling off the bench. When it gets so soiled that I can't stand it, I'll throw it away and go invest another six bucks.

Bill Jacobs

pietro
07-30-2019, 12:31 PM
I use a 2' x 3' piece of beige carpet from a cheap store near me called "Ollies." The carpet has a low pile height and keeps pins and screws from rolling off the bench. When it gets so soiled that I can't stand it, I'll throw it away and go invest another six bucks.

Bill Jacobs

Similarly, I've long successfully used discontinued carpet samples from the likes of Lowe's Home Improvement, HomeCheapo, etc, etc, that only cost a buck or two apiece.

They usually have a hemp backing and enough pile to cushion whatever's being worked on - but not so deep that screws/etc are hard to find/see/retrieve.

When one gets too dirty, or clogged with epoxy (whatever), I just toss it.

tunnug
07-30-2019, 03:48 PM
I knew someone that worked in carpets, gave me a bunch of low pile samples, the type that have the edges finished, like above, when they get nasty they get tossed.

sierra1911
07-31-2019, 06:44 AM
I use a Rockler Silicone Project Mat. Ridged side prevents small parts from rolling and it’s Dillon blue.

rockler.com item no 56209.

georgerkahn
07-31-2019, 07:53 AM
It seems that "linoleum-type" dinner table place mats were the vogue a few decades back, and they seem to be in abundance at ridiculously low prices both at garage sales and flea markets. To wit, I recently picked up four with dinosaur pictures on them for the outrageous price of seventy-five cents!
This is what I have atop my bench -- easy to clean, that they are light (yellowish) in colour makes parts easy to see -- and, for reasons I do not know, pretty much all solvents will NOT impact them.
They do, over time -- perhaps from said chemicals? -- lose their flexibility, and when get too stained, etc. -- toss them, for another. It works well for me, keeping the varnished wood -- a surplus public school chemistry lab table -- underneath pretty much "new" looking.
geo

Preacher Jim
07-31-2019, 09:59 AM
the Handiest thing i have found are the magnetic strip tool drawer liners i use in my rollabout tool boxes. the magnetic strips catch small parts before they escape to Murphy's spot.

pertnear
07-31-2019, 10:12 AM
I use cushion floor mats. You can get 'em at Tractor Supply or Walmart.

scattershot
07-31-2019, 10:21 AM
Hand towel.

Hossfly
07-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Wife’s old yoga mats work for me. Free.

ShooterAZ
07-31-2019, 11:39 AM
I have some Stihl chainsaw display mats that I got from my work. I have some other ones too, Milwaukee tools I think. They are 20x16" and resemble an over-sized mouse pad with a foam bottom and a soft fabric top. They can be washed in the washer a few times before they fall apart. They work really well.

gwpercle
07-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Discontinued Carpet Samples .
Would get them free from local flooring businesses , usually 24" x 36" , they were for display and would the carpets would change the display samples were useless .
Indoor / outdoor type carpet worked well for a bench mat .

country gent
07-31-2019, 03:12 PM
A lot depends on what Im doing as to mats bench covers also. Rubber or carpet for general work cleaning repairing and or maintenance. If soldering or using heat then a piece of sheet metal. If gluing or bedding then wax paper spread out. Blueing may be a plastic container lid. Like I said it depends on what Im doing. Glues and epoxies on wax paper are a quick simple clean up, and if the piece is on it it peels off usually. The lid when bluing is a shallow water tight container that can be cleaned quick and easy. The rubber mats contain small amounts of solvents and contain parts well. The carpet absorbs them and keeps parts in place.

Clark
08-04-2019, 01:52 AM
I like a dark green bath towel. It keeps things from rolling off the bench and makes a good background for digital pictures.

What ever Grandpa is doing out in the shop tonight, it looks better on a green towel.

EO1
08-04-2019, 02:07 PM
I use a ribbed black rubber mat, covering the whole bench top. They have it on rolls down at the True Value.

JeepHammer
08-04-2019, 02:56 PM
the Handiest thing i have found are the magnetic strip tool drawer liners i use in my rollabout tool boxes. the magnetic strips catch small parts before they escape to Murphy's spot.

The magnetic door signs sold on eBay or any sign shop do a good job catching small parts.

I also use the roll out synthetic 'cutting board' (counter top protector), they clean easy and are dirt cheap.
They cost almost nothing, and you can shape them with heat/scissors. Turned up edges keep small parts from getting away...
Pieces of these work exceptionally well to keep edge clamp devices (like a small vice) from screwing up the bench top.

When I need a soft backing for tap hammer, I use a full thickness leather pad.

Bazoo
08-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Personally I like a worn, oil soaked wooden bench top. I've used various things over the years, Formica, plywood, hardboard, mdf, hard and soft woods. Before my house burnt I had a poplar board 17" wide that I used. It was a single board which is pretty uncommon. My bench is plywood and set at 20" now.

I never have for guns, but I use cardboard for a top cushion to protect furniture or naked wood, works well.

15meter
08-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Discontinued Carpet Samples .
Would get them free from local flooring businesses , usually 24" x 36" , they were for display and would the carpets would change the display samples were useless .
Indoor / outdoor type carpet worked well for a bench mat .

I do the same, when they get ugly they go into the trash and get a fresh one or two depending on the length of the gun, Trapdoors and Rolling Blocks need two.

Side by Side
08-05-2019, 08:53 AM
My favorite to use is news paper, I have a green Hoppies mat I use, but the news paper give a smooth surface to work on, absorbs the fluids and I throw it away when it needs to be.

Kev18
08-05-2019, 09:54 AM
I need some type of rubber mat. I feel like that would be good. Or a welcome mat like some have mentioned.

Bazoo
08-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Personally I'd be afraid that rubber, unless it was specific for firearms, might dissolve and stick to the gun.

reivertom
08-05-2019, 02:20 PM
I use a cheap, solid rubber "welcome mat" ….the ones with the nubs on one side. I just turn it over and use it upside down because the underside is a solid rubber sheet with a light texture on it. They are easy to clean, easy on the guns, and cheap enough to toss if they get too nasty or torn up.

Bazoo
08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
I went down the gunsmith earlier and he had a large dark green rag spread on his bench. That does look lovely.

metricmonkeywrench
08-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Tekmat, available from all the usual sources. 1 rifle and 2 pistol for everyday use. When cleaning I pull out a “retired” bath or hand towel to catch the solvent/lube.

Kev18
08-05-2019, 11:42 PM
If I could find a dark green bath towel or something that doesnt look out of place on the bench il get it.