PDA

View Full Version : Everything is relative

brewer12345
07-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Was at the range this morning putting the finishing touches on a deer and elk conical load in a 54 caliber rifle. The state says black powder season is open sights only. Before I started with the smoke pole I sighted in the 3006 for longhorns with a proven j word load. It is funny to think how much I ended up fussing over the 3006 group at 100 yards with a 10x scope, then proceeded to be overjoyed with a group from the smoke pole at 50 yards that would have had me sell the 3006 and start over. Then again, after the last several range sessions being muzzleloader only, I had a hard time even finding the holes in the target with the 3006.

Gonna be an interesting season.

elk hunter
07-29-2019, 10:09 AM
I understand completely. I too get more joy from shooting older firearms than I do from the new ones. While hunting I still use some modern stuff but nothing compares to taking game with a gun older than I am. The range I'm a member at has over a thousand members and I think at least eight hundred fifty of them shoot AR-15's, auto-loading pistols or long range rifles that cost as much as a good used truck. The rest are cowboy shooters. Recently I was surprised when a fellow stopped to watch while I was shooting my paper cartridge needle rifle. When the first round went off he stated it was great to see a fellow black powder shooter. He brought out his 1873 model trapdoor 45-70 and explained he had never fired it but had some pyrodex loads he wanted to try but was hesitant as his wife was afraid the gun would blow up and kill him. I looked at his rifle and told him I'd fire the first shot if he didn't want to. I suspect that his shooting of such firearms will be very limited but at least he was willing to try them. I'm going to call him and ask him to meet me at the range as I have more of those charcoal burners that he may enjoy shooting. Maybe, just maybe we can get a small group of us senior types together and enjoy shooting guns that aren't first cousins to a computer.

Winger Ed.
07-29-2019, 12:02 PM
I'm like that.

I've got several open sight rifles of different cals. and am quite content with cast groups of 3-4" at 100 yds.

The heavy barrel .30-06 with a big eye scope--- if all the holes don't touch,,
I start looking for a problem or making excuses.

pietro
07-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Sometimes, I think I need target-seeking guided boolits…… ;)

charlie b
07-30-2019, 06:18 PM
I guess I am a bit different then. I want to have less than MOA groups with my front stuffer. I am under 2MOA now. I would be happy with under MOA with my .308 using cast as well.

Thanks to Ron I have the Lee .50 S&W mould, size to .496, paper wrap and size to .501. Pyrodex Select at 80gn,veggie and lubed felt wads.

My eyes just are not good enough for better than 2MOA so I put an EER scope on my Lyman. Doesn't look right, but, I don't want to spend the bucks for a Malcolm scope...yet. :)