View Full Version : My First Vaquero

Michael J. Spangler
07-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Just picked up my first Vaquero.
It's a New Model
4 5/8" Barrel
"Color case hardened" frame
45 Colt
The last owner removed the cylinder indexing detent to make it a free spin. I'm going to grab the parts off of him and pop them back in to see which I like better.

I haven't shot it yet or checked barrel/cylinder throat dimensions either. I've been reading up a little on the history and different models and modifications everyone fiddles with.
I can't really see myself changing anything at this point but I do see some more single actions in my life. I wish this state didn't suck so bad. I basically can't purchase anything other than a Ruger here unless someone moved into the state with something else and wants to sell it.

So what should I know about Vaqueros? Anything special?
I should be picking up some Dillon dies this week if the local shop has them handy. She's going to get a diet of NOE 453423 until I get a new mould for her
I'll try to post up some pics later

DougGuy
07-28-2019, 06:30 PM
If you want to size to .452" see if boolits will go through the cylinder throats from the front. I am a big fan of the Wolff 30oz. trigger return springs, and I leave the factory mainspring.

The free spin mod is removing the corner of the pawl on an angle, you can google this and find images of both pawls. Most of the three digit prefix guns have this already done from the factory.

Love Life
07-28-2019, 06:40 PM
I’d put it back to factory so it indexes as designed.

Mine came with .4505 throats and were reamed out by Dougguy to a nice .453.

The 453423 is all the bullet you need shoots to the sights on mine with 8.5-9.0 gr of unique. I did a light action job and installed a super black hawk hammer.

Michael J. Spangler
07-28-2019, 06:46 PM
If you want to size to .452" see if boolits will go through the cylinder throats from the front. I am a big fan of the Wolff 30oz. trigger return springs, and I leave the factory mainspring.

The free spin mod is removing the corner of the pawl on an angle, you can google this and find images of both pawls. Most of the three digit prefix guns have this already done from the factory.
I believe mine came this way from the factory. He just removed the indexing indent.

I’d put it back to factory so it indexes as designed.

Mine came with .4505 throats and were reamed out by Dougguy to a nice .453.

The 453423 is all the bullet you need shoots to the sights on mine with 8.5-9.0 gr of unique. I did a light action job and installed a super black hawk hammer.

I think you're right. It's a decent weight and a damn fine design.
I have some .453 diameter bullets and I believe a .451 or .452 sizer. I'll run some through tonight and see if they pass through or not.

georgerkahn
07-28-2019, 07:35 PM
I rather recently acquired a Ruger bright stainless New Model Vaquero in .45 Long Colt -- Model 05104 -- and, I positively love it. It has without a doubt the best single action trigger I've ever experienced; as I bought it "pre-owned", I imagine the previous owner -- heavy in CASS -- may have had the trigger worked on (?). My cylinders all slug to 0.452", and barrel is scary close to same. Knock wood -- I've yet to experience any leading! A nice "plus" to this revolver is I have been loading and shooting .45 S&W Schofield in it, too -- primarily to get more effective, albeit same charge, powder in cases. In the .45LC calibre, a friend gifted me some wad-cutters, and loaded ahead of 5.0 grains of trail-boss, it is a blast to shoot!
The only "things to might need knowing" re the New Model Vaquero, I wanted/needed new grips for mine, as my middle finger knuckle was tight against trigger guard (ow! with each shot), and I had a bit of a challenge before I found a set which afforded a perfect (for me) hold without hammering my knuckle with each shot.
Congrats on one AWESOME revolver!
As a btw, I contacted the Cowboy shooting folks on 'Net, and bought some WAX bullets -- brass has enlarged primer holes for your choice of using large pistol, OR scattergun primers (209) to propel the wax bullet. TONS of cheap (bullets run ~$25.00/thousand) great fun, enabling lots of practice and recreational shooting fun.
geo

375supermag
07-29-2019, 10:09 AM
Hi....
I have a couple of original full size Vaqueros in .45Colt.

I have shot thousands of rounds through them, almost all are 255gr LSWC over 8.0gr of Unique.
These are excellent revolvers that shoot that load to point of aim at 25yds.

TheDoctor
07-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Still have my first one. First year production, in 45 colt. That is one gun that will never leave my grasp!

Froogal
07-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Sounds like some of you folks are having better luck with your Vaqueros than I am. Mine, in .357, shoots extremely low and to the left. I thought it was just me, until I bought a Cimarron. It shoots to the point of aim every time.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Michael -- we'll be eagerly awaiting your range report. I also have one of the Ruger NM Vaqueros in .45 LC with a blue frame. Like Froogal, mine also shoots low and left, but not "extremely" as he describes. There was an extensive thread not long ago about this problem in which about half of the respondents claimed that it was all in how you grip the revolver, so it will be interesting to see what results you experience.

DG

Michael J. Spangler
07-29-2019, 11:35 AM
I should have a range report Wednesday night or Thursday morning.
I know that these guns along with the old service grip Smith and Wesson‘s are finicky depending on how you are holding them. So we shall see how it shoots for me.

Love Life
07-29-2019, 02:24 PM
I made fatter grips. They come with grips made for small lady hands.

Froogal
07-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Michael -- we'll be eagerly awaiting your range report. I also have one of the Ruger NM Vaqueros in .45 LC with a blue frame. Like Froogal, mine also shoots low and left, but not "extremely" as he describes. There was an extensive thread not long ago about this problem in which about half of the respondents claimed that it was all in how you grip the revolver, so it will be interesting to see what results you experience.

DG

Wife and I both got the same results, and we were shooting from a bench rest. At 10 yards, the point of impact was about 10 inches low, and 4 to 5 inches to the left.

Walks
07-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Congratulations on buying the Funnest type of Handgun around.

I have a pair of the Big Vaquero's in .45Colt.
First year Production, 7 1/2" bbl's. Bright Stainless fitted with Stag Grips. My Right-Hand Revolver shoots to POA at 25yrds with the Lyman #454190 over 9.0grs of Unique. The Left-Hand I bought used, the front sight was filed down a bit. It shoots to POA with My Cowboy Shooting load of 225gr-230gr over 5.0grs of Clays at 25yrs. It'll hit a tennis ball 6 times out of 6.

For plinking you can't beat the N.O.E. #453423 version of the Lyman #452423. I retired my 2cav Lyman mold in favor of a 5cav N.O.E. #453423-247-SWC Mold. It casts BEAUTIFUL Bullets. Over 5.0grs of Clays it's very accurate.

POI & POA for both Revolvers will hit a soda can or 6" gong at 20ft to 75ft.

And, yep I've worked the Action on both. The "free spin pawl" is an Abomination to me. It's for people who are too lazy to bother to learn how to load a Single Action Revolver Correctly.

And I have one of the NM Vaquero's in .45Colt too. It doesn't spin backwards. It came that way out of the box 10yrs ago. I made a full size set of grips for it. I hate the "issue plastic" grips. Need something better to fill my hand, like thick Walnut.

And James, My NM Vaquero has a "Color Case-Hardened" frame.

onelight
07-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Congratulations on the new Vaquero [smilie=w:
Ruger makes some good shooting single actions.

jmort
07-29-2019, 05:32 PM
I made fatter grips. They come with grips made for small lady hands.

Hey, that hurts
But if the glove fits, embrace it, own it
That is why I love the original gun-fighter grips
They fit me like a glove
I also have reduced length LOPs on my longuns aka
"youth/ladies" stocks
I am 5' 9" with a short reach and large palms and shorter fingers
Just a so-called manlet

Love Life
07-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Lol. I’m 5 ft 7 in, but have hands that like a thick grip. My 1911 grips are thicker than usual too. That’s probably why I have no problems with the Glock 21 and S&W Target grips.

Tripplebeards
07-29-2019, 08:41 PM
I bought a polished nickel new vaquero 45 colt the summer before last and added the factory faux ivory grips. After ALOT of help from other members here I sized my boolits at .451 and can push them through all my throats with little effort with a pencil. At .452 I cannot do so. I forgot what my barrel slugs at but there wasn’t much smaller than the throats. I think it was .4505”. I was extremely worried about the barrel being close to the throat size and accuracy would suffer. Well after shooting it the first time all my doubts went away. It’s a very accurate, tight shooting pistol.

Anyways, I loaded some PC’d lee 255 grain boolits long at the bottom lube groove. The only powder I tried was a minimum charge of trailboss (5.2 grains). I was having issues shooting low and left like every other new vaquero dose but I kept practicing till I started “aiming small” and pulling my trigger a little quicker instead of a slow target squeeze. After practicing I can hit a quarter aiming dead at 25 yards with the load if I do my part. It’s a very accurate pistol and load combo. I guess I got lucky as my first load recipe I tried works like a charm. It recoils not much more than a 22 mag with the trailboss load.

OldBearHair
07-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Same problem George mentioned above. Middle knuckle with gout crystals that get hammered. Rubber grip puts the knuckle down out of the way, carried in a mod rug under left arm for the big boar that I shoot with an arrow should it miss the vitals. There are big hogs where I hunt . I practice unzip draw fire one hand no aim maybe five yard stump one shot done.

Michael J. Spangler
07-31-2019, 10:01 PM

Here’s a quick picture of her.
So she shoots right on as long as I do my part. Shot some 255 grain black hills ammo that came with the gun.
It had some good thump to it. It was really fun for sure.
Now I need to score some Dillon dies on Friday.

onelight
07-31-2019, 11:14 PM
That is a good looking Ruger !

Michael J. Spangler
07-31-2019, 11:26 PM
That is a good looking Ruger !

Thank you!