PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Brass Smith 8 die turret opinions

Elroy
07-27-2019, 11:07 PM
I am kicking around getting one of these presses,but it seems like they are not very commonly used,or at least I haven't heard much regaurding them..Do any of you use this press,and if so what do you think of it?...Thanks

onelight
07-27-2019, 11:37 PM
Don’t have one but it is a nice looking press .

Binky
07-28-2019, 01:30 AM
These are fairly new to the market (maybe a year) so still not a lot of numbers in the hands of the masses. If I were in the market I would probably look at it. I have two older Lyman presses, a Spartan, my first and a SparT bought in the late 80s. Both are solid and I have no reason to believe that the Brass Smith would not be a quality product. But then I will use any product that does what it is designed to do and looks as if it will stand the test of time.

Elroy
07-28-2019, 07:38 AM
I watched a few videos on Youtube about it,and looks alright for my intended use.It could be used as a manually indexed progressive, but I would like to just fill the turret with 4 two die sets that I commonly use and just use it like a single stage press.

smithnframe
07-29-2019, 07:50 AM
I have a Redding T-7 turret press in my arsenal.......the Lyman looks to be comparable!

zymguy
07-29-2019, 05:33 PM
I only utilize the turret when I size and then flare, I’m probably just not a good turret candidate. I like it well enough, the biggest gripe is more the nature of the beast than it is error by Lyman . The dies are close enough together to make some adjustments cumbersome. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190729/a2850ac8064c3eeeb9efa8a5c53c424c.jpg

If your interested in a turret, I’d say the Lyman is a good one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onelight
07-29-2019, 06:19 PM
All the turret and progressives I have used are tight for space around the lock nuts.
Especially when you use many brands of dies and they all seem to use a different wrench....