PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 .32 win special

bensonwe
07-26-2019, 09:39 PM
I was wondering if someone has any thoughts on a problem I'm having with feeding .32 win sp loaded with a Lee 175 grain .322 boolit? The problem is that while most chamber without a hitch, some do not. I even Mic the boolit ensuring its .321/.322. I think it has something to do with the nose on the Lee boolit mold. I've tried running them thru my sizer but the nose is left untouched. Anything I can do to tapper the nose?

garandsrus
07-26-2019, 10:23 PM
We’re all the bullets sized? If so, you might try seating the bullets a few thousandths deeper.

Bazoo
07-27-2019, 02:13 AM
Could be they are being sized off center slightly, causing the nose to lean to the side slightly and thus hitting the rifling. I had this as a result of crooked seated gas checks. I was seating them with a wrap from either a hammer handle or on the table. Now I put a penny on top of my sizer die and press them on with the tool. Not as good as a check seater accessory I suspect, but much better.

DonMountain
07-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Run several through the rifle, loading and closing the handle, and then ejecting them. When you get to the ones that don't lock up properly, pull them out and inspect the bullet nose for contact with the rifling. I bet you will find they are encroaching on the rifling. I have found Winchester lever rifles sometimes have a short chamber or taper into the rifling. And the Lee dies seem to not close all the way sometimes when casting, making the nose of these bullets just a few thousandths bigger than the others. So little that you don't notice the difference by eye. So, pay more attention to getting the dies closed all the way, and check the bullets that don't chamber to see if they are running into the rifling. Seating the bullets a little deeper sometimes resolves this dimensional dilemma on the nose.

georgerkahn
07-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Agreeing with other posters re their suggestions, I might add one. I had similar challenges years back loading plain-Jane .30WCF (aka .30-30) in one relatively new '94. I blamed the rifle, thinking the old (late 1920's) one had a much larger chamber, or "sumthin'", not delving into it too deeply. I traded off the old timer to a collector, and had a short sixty loaded rounds which -- just like yours -- many chambered without a hitch, while others did not. In discussion with a friend, he later came over with two RCBS dies in his jacket pocket. We went down to den, and -- yes, we both knew "you're not supposed to do it" -- but ran all of my loads through the 2nd die. Voila! Problem solved. Hughie -- my bud -- professed that all dies are not exactly the same, and some may be right on the cusp of getting placed in the reject quality control pile ;). Too many years back, and I do not recall the brand (sorry) of the dies I had -- but, this ***might*** be an avenue you wish to explore. Fixed things for me....
geo -- who still has and uses Hughie's RCBS dieset.

bensonwe
07-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Update. I think I may have found the problem. After checking and rechecking all equipment, the problem seems to be me. All the equipment did exactly what it was supposed to do. I seemed to have gotten lazy while casting and a May not have been closing the mold fully. After casting another 50 or so, and paying more attention to detail, I haven't had one over the size limit. So, with this information I'm moving forward again. Thanks DonMountain for the tip, it seems to be the ticket. And thanks to the others for their input as well.

pworley1
07-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Operator error happens to me all the time.

bensonwe
07-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Update. I think I may have found the problem. After checking and rechecking all equipment, the problem seems to be me. All the equipment did exactly what it was supposed to do. I seemed to have gotten lazy while casting and a May not have been closing the mold fully. After casting another 50 or so, and paying more attention to detail, I haven't had one over the size limit. So, with this information I'm moving forward again. Thanks DonMountain for the tip, it seems to be the ticket. And thanks to the others for their input as well.