PDA

View Full Version : RCBS primer pocket swager

abunaitoo
07-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Does it actually resize the pocket??????
Or does it just take the crimp out????
I know it won't make a pocket smaller, but will it resize it bigger to the correct size????

Der Gebirgsjager
07-26-2019, 03:57 PM
There are two types. I have the less expensive one. It comes with "buttons" in two different sizes for the two primer sizes. It swages out the crimp, appropriate size primer goes right in. I've never tried to enlarge the smaller size pocket with the larger size button.

mac60
07-26-2019, 04:43 PM
I have both of them. One is used in a conventional loading press, the other is a bench mounted tool. Obviously, they are intended to remove the crimp from crimped primer military brass. The mandrel is not really shaped to size the entire primer pocket. This video might answer your question better than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKJfvMyuDg

Hope that helps.

15meter
07-26-2019, 11:02 PM
Test it on some cases before you do a whole batch, I used the mount in the press version on a batch of military 303 British (HXP) and ended up with loose primers. Did it on 30-06 HXP's with out any ill effects.

And use Imperial sizing wax on the button-- makes it work much, much better. Got this idea from someone on this forum, had been doing it dry and thought it was a miserable way to get rid of crimps--DUH! LUBE! Simple solution sitting right there on the bench and not smart enough to think of it myself.

Bookworm
07-27-2019, 06:50 AM
I picked up a complete RCBS set for $10 at a gunshow. I haven't used it yet.
So far I've been cutting the crimp from the pocket. I figured I would try the other way to see how it went, but haven't had a chance to yet.

lightman
07-27-2019, 09:52 AM
I have an older RCBS tool that fits in the press. I think it will actually size the pocket in addition of removing the crimp. It won't make a large pocket from a small pocket but seems to help tight pocket cases like S&B.

Steve E
07-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Yep 15meter, you don't ever want to do it dry.

Steve..........

Conditor22
07-27-2019, 08:19 PM
+1 on lubing the "button" if I'd discovered that sooner I wouldn't have traded for a Dillon swagger :)