PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Sav. 340 Bolt

smokemjoe
10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
I now have the Sav. 340 in 30-30 that the bolt is stuck in, Now the bolt handle turns up but the bolt dont go with it, The bolt is a little loose, You can move the bolt body about 1/16 of a turn with a pin in the side hole in the bolt. What do I do now, Thanks- Joe

HeavyMetal
10-29-2008, 10:02 PM
The bolts in the 340 is about three pieces. I suspect that one of the pins that hold the handle section to the bolt body proer has broken or fallen out!

This may be the same pin hole your useing to move the bolt around?

Suggest you get a copy of Numrich's catalog, any year will do, and examine how the bolt goes together! I think if you have an 1/8 inch pin punch you might be able to turn the bolt back into alignment with the bolt handle insert the punch and then turn the bolt out of lock up!

Again this is all guess work without a photo.

smokemjoe
10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks, I got the bolt out by going on the bottom side and with 2 screw drives I got it to roll over and it came out, I never took the bolt apart yet but I dont see no cross pin that holds it together, Is the handle that turns loose now silver solder to the bolt, The prints show no cross pin . Thanks for the help, Joe

HeavyMetal
10-30-2008, 09:38 PM
The bolt handle is held in by a pin located just in front of the joint where the bolt handle body joins up with what Savage calls the bolt head. This can be polished to the point that it blends in real well and you'll have to do some serious looking with a magnifiying glass.

If you hold the bolt so that your looking at the extractor locking lug point the lug straight up to the twelve O" Clock position. If you look straight down the bolt head you should see the pin entrance holes located at 11 and 1 O" Clock respectively.

If you have the bolt body in your hand there should be a grove cut into it about half an inch or so in front of the bolt handle proper this is located on a direct line forward from where the bolt handle actually hits the body.

I hope this helps you find that pin hole. Some times if the pin shears these holes can be tough to find!

smokemjoe
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Your right on hard find, the pin sheared off. got the old off the bolt body and cant find the one on the handle, I polished it to high finish and blued it and I still can find it. I see it on the inside but not the out. Thanks- Joe

HeavyMetal
10-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Take a guess as to the outside location by looking in the bolt hole with a strong light. Then take a very small pin punch and try some lite taps where you think the outside of the pin might be. Sooner or later you will get it to go into the bolt body and then you can see to push it out!

As you can tell I've worked on a few of these.