PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between different brands of presses?

Kev18
07-25-2019, 09:33 AM
So I might be on the market for another press soon. For now I have a Lee single stage press that came in the beginner kit they sell. It serves me well! I was wondering what the differences are between brands? For example all single stage presses look pretty much the same, so Why do some cost alot more then others? Are some sturdier, have tight tolerances? Whats the big deal with expensive brands?

glaciers
07-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Friends don't let friends drive fords.
Same thing to a degree. Lots of good presses out there, just depends on ($$$$$) your needs, calibers, and production volume you want. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker bought in the 70's and it's still going strong. Bought a Redding Big Boss Single Stage and a Lee Classic Turret at about the same time. The one problem is spent primers on some presses. The LCT press has a system that catches primers well and the RCBS and Big Boss are hit or miss.
I like the LCT press a lot, set up dies in the turret one time and just change out the $10 turrets with your different caliber dies with a twist of the turret and no tools. You can also use the LCT press in single stage mode. The priming system works well for me I have read where folks have had problems, but mine works great.
I do all of my handgun cartridges on the LCT. So far I'm still doing the larger cartridges on 3 single stage press. Redding BB for sizing, bench mounted priming station, next bench mounted powder dispenser, then RCBS for bullet seating, next the 3rd press a RCBS JR for crimping if needed. All set up from left to right. I do my loading standing up.
I'm going to be using the LCT press for 30-30, 35 Remington and a few others starting this next week, I believe it will work just fine for rifle cartridges. I grew up with Herters, and CH, C style single stage press back in the 60's, so I'm stuck in a mind set of controlling each stage of the process. The LCT press is a big step for me and I'm liking it a lot. Also getting used to my smart phone. Big changes for an old guy.
I bought a progressive press to leap into the future, but, after reading and after looking into it further, I just did not need that much production. I shoot lots of different calibers and it was expensive to change calibers on the progressives, shell plates, and the time involved to change over. But if you need the extra production the they make since.
The LCT press use the same shell holder as the Redding and the RCBS presses. I can load 100 to 150 cartridges easily per hour on the LCT press. I believe in KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.
I also don't need the newest truck on the market. I shoot mostly vintage rifles, so I maybe stuck in the past.

Elroy
07-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Don't just go by brand,but by design, what it is made from,and if you look at used ones on Ebay make sure you understand what size die threads they have,as well as if,or if not they take a non standard type shell holder..

375supermag
07-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Hi...
I started on Lee presses and soon realized that while theC type press was adequate for a box or two of ammunition, it wasn't going to produce the quantity or quality of ammunition I wanted or needed.
I then bought a Lee 1000 progressive and after a lot of frustration was able to tinker with it to the point that it would produce good ammunition at a decent rate. I still wasn't happy with the priming system or the powder charging system.
I switched over to an RCBS RockChucker and was able to make excellent quality ammunition in short order. I had to adjust my reloading procedure and learned to do reloading tasks in stages.
As I added more and more cartridges, I was spending increasing amounts of time and realized that I needed to upgrade yet again.
I bought a Hornady LnL ammo plant and set it up for large primer to use to load the large amounts of .45ACP my son and I shoot. Later I bought another LnL and set it up in small primer for the large amount of .357Mag that we shoot.
Then I bought a RockChucker Supreme to use to teach my son to load rifle calibers. Now he loads most of our rifle handloads on that press and almost all of our .45ACP, .357Mag and 10mm on the LnLs. We will soon being switching 9mm reloading over to the LnLs as well as he now believes he would rather load for that caliber rather than buy it in bulk.
I also bought a used Dillon 550 that we will eventually set up to load all of our bulk large bore revolver cartridges.

I still do most of the specialized hunting loading on my RockChucker and any load development handloads I also do on my RockChucker.

The Lee presses reside in a box in the bottom of a cabinet in the reloading room. Someday many years from now, since I am retired, I may drag the Lee 1000 out and torture myself bytrying to get it to run properly. Some day...when I feel the need to pound my head against the wall in frustration. Maybe...

kmw1954
07-25-2019, 12:57 PM
I was wondering what the differences are between brands? For example all single stage presses look pretty much the same, so Why do some cost alot more then others?

Actually as far as I am concerned there isn't much. Compare Single stage to single stage, Turret to turret and progressives to progressives.

Single stage presses have been around and unchanged for decades! Yes there are different levels of presses, such as entry level "C" presses and the light weight ones made from aluminum. Even RCBS makes an aluminum press, the Partner. Then Dillon does not make a single stage press. The "O" presses come in all different weights and sizes, some with compound leverage some with out.

Turret presses have also been around for a long time. Lee is the only turret with an Auto Index. Dillon doesn't make one again. the rest range from 4 station to 8 stations

Progressives start at the 3 station Lee Pro1000 and proceed to the Dillon 1050 or some of the very specialized commercial type automated presses.

Four progressives to keep in mind. the Lee Pro1000, Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro, Dillon Square Deal and the Dillon 550. These presses in my view are all separate from the rest. There are no comparative presses made by any other manufacturer. To try and compare them to any other press is foolish an un-honest.

country gent
07-25-2019, 01:15 PM
Things to look for in a single stage press are 1) material and mass of the frame members also the shape, this affects the solidity of the frame and spring under heavy use. Cast steel, cast iron and last is cast aluminum. Frames with the H shaped frame can be very strong. 2) the opening in the frame to narrow is hard to insert cases in and out to short in height and some rounds may not be able to be loaded on it. 3) the ram, bigger is better here it gives more surface for alignment and support In the frame more surface also lessens wear. 4) linkage and pins, thicker links give more bearing area and a solider set up heavier pins don't spring near as much. 5) the machine finishes on the parts. smooth and even makes a better surface and gives a idea on quality, feeling burrs sharp edges and such is a sigh of poor craftsmanship. 6) It would be nice to be able to measure the press parts before buying to see tolerances on the unit. You can with the ram about half way up gently feel for play in 4 directions to get an idea of the clearance here. Same with the linkage and other joints. 7) If you can screw a die into the press and give the 4 way push not all threads are cut equal some are bigger some smaller. *8) this is more cosmetics but look at finish on frame and parts. A heavy coat of enamel or other finish on cast parts may be hiding porous castings or poor machining. Baked on finishes and paints on links bearing parts increase sizes and give a false sense of tight fits. This paint in these areas will wear away quickly. and worse will be abrasive in the joints.

Basically if you can run the ram up and down slowly feeling for rough tight spots watch for odd movements jumps lags and such. Look for a "balanced" frame and set up with solid ribs and supports.

Not all presses are created equal not all are meant for every task. Look at reviews talk to owners of the various machines either in person or thru forums like this one. The rock chucker has a big following ( deserved) as a heavy solid press that lasts forever, Keep in mind it wasn't just a reloading press when introduced it was a bullet swaging press, RCBS = Rock Chuck Bullet Swage. DO some home work, look at machines, and reviews. Several presses have big followings Rock chucker, Coax, redding turrets and others.

Kev18
07-25-2019, 01:15 PM
I have the lee catalog in my hands and im looking in it. The turret press looks decent since I can fit full size cartridges.

JBinMN
07-25-2019, 01:35 PM
EDIT: I removed the majority of my post from earlier & will just leave the below.

I wish ya G'Luck! in your search & decision(s). In the end it will be YOU who decides what you want & why though, regardless of what others say to try to help or even persuade you what to get.
:)

kmw1954
07-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Kev18 if you are looking to a turret press to increase production rates my opinion is that the Lee is a great choice with the Auto Index. Many must agree because so many have been bought and are still being used. Now I wouldn't want to reload 50BMG or form wildcat rounds on it. But that is not what it was designed or built for.

I went so far as to actively look for an old Lee 3 hole turret press With the Auto Index just to use to run small batches and do load workups for small pistol sized cases while using plain old Lee 3 die pistol set dies. This is what it was designed for and works very well and very quickly. Even while having to hand place each primer into the primer arm.

As we speak I am using this press to work up some new 380 loads using cast lead bullets.

Conditor22
07-25-2019, 01:41 PM
I started with and still have an RCBS Rock Chucker on my bench.

For rifle loading, I wish I'd gotten a 6 - 8 station turret
For starting handgun loading maybe a Lee indexing turret of one of there entry progressives.

I went from the RCBS Rock Chucker to adding a Lee LoadMaster. With the loadmaster, you need to be able to tinker/modify/adjust to get/keep it running smoothly.

Dillons are more accurate BUT MUCH more expensive not just initially for the press but also for components and caliber changes. [they have a lifetime warranty] For the shooting I do I couldn't justify getting a Dillon.

I've been looking at the MEC Marksman Single Stage Press for its high accuracy and easy access to the ram (probably comparable accuracy to my old rock chucker)

Kev18
07-25-2019, 03:18 PM
With a turret press can I mess around with the cartridges while they are in the press or does it auto rotate once the lever is lowered?
I reload odd ball cartridges and thats why I like the single stage.
Some times the bullet isnt seated deep enough so I need to run it through the seating multiple times to get a good chambering in the gun. Its a real pain to always change the dies in and out... That would be my reasoning for a turret press. I want all the dies at my disposal. Can I rotate it by hand or does it do it itself?

Arkansas Paul
07-25-2019, 03:30 PM
The bottom line is, any of the major brands' iron presses will most likely outlast you.
The RCBS Rockchucker, Redding Boss, Lee Classic Cast, Lyman (whatever theirs is called now), Hornady Lock N Load, they're all great and will last.

If you want an auto indexing turret press, Lee is your only option.
And it works good.
Mine isn't even the cast model, and it works very well.

kmw1954
07-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Kev18, this is precisely why I bought a Lee 3 hole turret press. I primarily load 3 calibers; 380, 9mm and 45acp but have dies for 38/357. I have a turret set up with one set of Lee pistol dies and they stay in those turrets. No FCD. Can't say how this would work with longer bottle neck cases because I don't have any.

With this press I deprime and size then prime at station one. Station two has the powder thru expander with a Lee powder measure. Here I charge the case then I can lower it out of the die, it will lower about half way before it will start to rotate which you can feel this position, remove the case and weigh the powder charge and adjust the charge if needed. If everything is fine then just advance to the next station. Here I repeat the same procedure. Seat the bullet, lower, remove, check length, adjust move to next round.

Works very well and is much easier than trying to do this on a progressive and much faster than on a single stage press. The other night I did 50 380 in about an hour and that was with removing each case to weigh check and then length check each and every one. I am now doing this with a different cast bullet for the 380. After that I now also have 2 other cast lead bullets to work up that I have never loaded

kmw1954
07-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Oh I forgot to add that if the case is too long to do this w/o it starting to rotate then the Index Rod can be removed and the turret rotated by hand when you are ready to advance.

onelight
07-25-2019, 04:29 PM
With a turret press can I mess around with the cartridges while they are in the press or does it auto rotate once the lever is lowered?
I reload odd ball cartridges and thats why I like the single stage.
Some times the bullet isnt seated deep enough so I need to run it through the seating multiple times to get a good chambering in the gun. Its a real pain to always change the dies in and out... That would be my reasoning for a turret press. I want all the dies at my disposal. Can I rotate it by hand or does it do it itself?

With LCT you can remove the indexing rod in about 2 seconds then manually index the turret.
With the rod in place and the press handle in the right position you can also manually index the turret.
The main advantage of turret presses for me is the ability to have my dies adjusted and ready to go quickly in turrets, you also eliminate much handling of the case . All of the available turret presses can be manually indexed

JeepHammer
07-25-2019, 04:30 PM
From an engineering standpoint,
A 'C' frame press is 'Weaker' because an open 'C' can (and will) expand under pressure.
This allows ram & die to misalign slightly.

An 'O' frame is supported on both sides and in theory can't deflect.
The tool head is 'Captured' so it can't deflect.

The small ram size is also an issue, the more ram you have extended during sizing, the more that cam can deflect (bend) when the pressure is on.
The larger the ram diameter, the less deflection.

Press ram to frame fitment is an issue, if the ram slops around in the frame, no extra diameter on the ram will help. This is why you clean & lubricate the ram, so it doesn't wear the frame out.
This is particularly true when the ram is steel and the frame is aluminum.

The bottom line is,
Either you press beats the brass, or the brass beats your press.
It doesn't take much to bend a wide mouth pistol brass back into reasonable/serviceable shape,
The larger the tube, the thinner walled the tube, the easier it is to bend.

When you talk thick walled rifle brass with a bottle neck, that's an entirely different situation.
Thicker, tapered walls of the brass are a LOT more surface area that has to be compressed all at once.
The shoulder is another issue...
This takes a press of substance to accomplish if you want repeatability for consistency.

-------------

While there is endless arguing about what a case *Should* and *Shouldn't* be sized to,
What I do in my reloading classes is introduce students to single stage presses.
I have them resize once fired brass from a bulk bin, and they get one crack at getting it to SAAMI size before they drop the brass in a bucket.

There are two reasons for SAAMI size,
1. Gauges and measuring adapters don't come in *Odd Chamber* sizes,
2. SAAMI will fit in any firearm chambered for that caliber.
The third reason, if you can adjust common equipment to make SAAMI spec brass, you can adjust that machine to make brass for about any off spec chamber in roughly the same caliber.

I give them an up-side-down 'U' shaped fixture with a dial indicator on top so they can accurately change the depth of the die by setting legs of 'U' on the press frame to the sides of the die.
(And idea from J. Morris)

I move them from a cheap 'C' frame aluminum press through the 'O' frame presses so they can judge for themselves which press fits their needs.
Some just want to make blasting handgun ammo, some are serious about bending brass to fit their specific chamber, and working on the actual common presses with the actual common dies available let's them understand what's going on and how to get what they want.

There is a reason there are so many of the old iron frame RCBS singles still being used,
They simply work.
RCBS stands for Rock Chuck Bullet Swage, and swaging bullets, wildcat cases takes a lot more pressure than simply sizing a small case and inserting a bullet into that case.
The swage press was built solid, strong and reasonably accurate.

For a guy wanting to reload (not swage), and wants to speed things up,
A Lee 'Turret' press ('O' frame tool head, not an actual 'C' turret press, despite the name) allows you to set your dies up in tool heads and leave them there.
Caliber changes are a snap, and the inherent strength of the 'O' frame let's you get reasonably accurate ammo.
The rotating tool head also lets you speed things up.
The 4 cornered captured tool head is reasonably stable since the only direction it can go us 'Up' and you can adjust dies to compensate.

This is the closest thing to a 'Progressive' you can get for a reasonable price since they have an attachment to rotate the dies with each stroke of the press.

Both of these press types have small diameter rams that are unsupported in the fully extended (pressure) position, and the rams do deflect.

A 'Co-Axial' press supports the shell holder from both sides, no ram flex, so inherent stability.
The price of a Co-Axial might be a deal breaker, but they work quite well.

poppy42
07-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Basically it gets down to how fat your wallet is. I currently have the Lee classic turret I load 9 mm 9 mm Makarov.223/5.56 and 30.06 on it with no pro blems. I also have the inexpensive Lee C press that are used to D Cap, flare case mouths, Into size some cast bullets that have a tumble lube grooves. My set up will certainly do what I need to do as far as reloading but I would definitely like to get my hands on a better single stage press such Lee classic cast, Rock Chucker, Or evenA Lee challenger. I feel Lee makes decent equipment. depending on how much reloading you going to do. F or me I see no need for a progressive press . Maybe if I shot competition I’ll be looking for a Dylan or one of the Lyman or six hole Turret presses but I have neither the need nor the wallet for one of those. Basically it gets down to how much you do and how many bells and whistle‘s you want and what you’re willing to pay for it. Heck there’s plenty of people that loaded with the Lee loader/ wackamole or Lyman 310 tool, myself included. Neither one of which I would want to have to load up a couple hundred rounds of 9 mm with, but it certainly could be done if that’s all you had and that’s what you had to do. So I guess all in all I haven’t really given you any advice only a list of what I have and that’s really the best I can do. Whould I prefer certain brands of others if I could afford them certainly but then again I’d like to have a Lamborghini too but that certainly isn’t in my budget. In the end the only advice I can give you do you research, buy what you can afford and what best suits your needs. Understand you can always upgrade as your needs and wallet allows. I hope some of this dribble I’ve posted you find useful . Take care. Be safe. And have fun.
PS sorry for any spelling and grammatical errors this darn AutoCorrect is driving me crazy I’ve gone over my post six times but I’m sure I’ve missed something hopefully at least make some sense

XDROB
07-25-2019, 09:06 PM
I started reloading right after Sandy Hook. THE ONLY reloading press tha was available at Cabelas. Bought it. A Hornady LnL progressive. And that was my first press. That day which was four days after Sandy Hook the shelves looked like the bread aisle before a big storm.
I did learn pretty quickly. But I think a first timer should learn and progress from a single stage press. To learn how to go through each stage that it takes to reload a cartridge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kevin Rohrer
07-25-2019, 09:22 PM
A comparable question would be: what's the difference between motor vehicles? They all do the same thing, but in different ways.

Three44s
07-25-2019, 09:29 PM
Well said XDROB!

The OP has a beginner single stage already. I would suggest sharing what you desire in your next press however.

I began in 1975 at the age of 19 on an RCBS jr single stage. It has served me well. About ten years ago I bought a Lee Classic turret. I like it but I have some qualms about the tipping of the turret in certain rifle loading tasks. One of my passions is loading for long range predator and varmint rifles. As a result I bought a Redding Boss single stage. I use it for all my single stage work now.

I will not go into some other presses I have acquired along the way because of their oddities. The final press I purchased relative to this discussion is the Hornady LNL Progressive. It mostly sits in reserve just in case things get extreme people wise. I can do rifle on it but there are limitations due to powder dispensing (some stick powders bridge). I certainly can do handgun cartridges on it.

I will say it is no beginner press though I am sure there are those who would disagree with that. A lot of folks hate the Hornady LNL and that is fine with me but I found the press to run fairly efficiently after some breakin time and procedures to assist that break in.

I will make one last comment: People always refer to some time period as being “the golden age” of something. I would say that with a few exceptions that this is a golden age for handloading. We have more choice in tooling, powders, primers. More information, more instant connectivity between shooters that any other time I can think of.

VIVA shooting and handloading!

Three44s

JeepHammer
07-26-2019, 12:16 AM
I have Lee 'Turret' (tool head) presses next to my auto-indexing progressives, they are just WAY too handy for tooling, taking down QC loads/fails (no 'Mystery' rounds laying on the bench ever).

While the tool head does move up/down, it doesn't 'Tip' side to side/front and back.
The ram can go what ever direction when it deflects...
I hear the guys with concentricity gauges complain, but they are blaming the wrong part of the press.

I know guys like their toys, but to be honest, the only thing the neck of the case does is hold the bullet mostly centered with the bore.
When you show them the difference in the throat, where the lands of the rifling meet the bullet when it's fired, and the lands have more difference than the case/bullet out of common loader/dies, sometimes they connect the dots, sometimes they don't.
That bullet slamming into a slanted throat has way more to do with things than the bullet being slightly askew in the case AT REST...

Most presses will produce reasonable ammo with a reasonable die. That's why there are so many brands/colors.
If one worked above all others every time, that would be the design everyone jumped to.

Slow, stout so it beats the brass everytime,
Or faster/lighter/cheaper with a little less consistency.

Keep in mind, this is a punch press that bends brass...
When you look at industrial metal presses, they are always 'Chunky', overbuilt, and never aluminum.
They have to beat the brass every time, so overbuilt is good.
They have to live for decades, in some cases running 24/7 so they are steel or iron, cast aluminum stresses & fractures over time, use cycles.

When it's steel on aluminum, the aluminum always looses, so clean & lubricate so the aluminum doesn't wear like crazy.
(Lee owners, take note, the gray 'Slurry' that collects up on the ram is abrasive, liquid sand paper, clean it off and lubricate!)
I can, and have put a bronze sleeve in the older, worn presses, but that costs nearly as much as the press did new, and the way to avoid it is simply cleaning and lubrication.

With cleaning & lubrication even a Lee aluminum body press will last decades (depending on use, it's not an industrial unit).

It's the upper fame where I don't much want cast aluminum.
Even Dillon heavy 'O' frame presses break, there are several warnings about trying to swage primer pockets or bullets on Dillon aluminum fame presses.
If you are going to swage, get a swaging press... The correct tool for that job.

Kev18
07-26-2019, 01:16 AM
I might get a turret press then. Not yet but soon... I don't really go for heavy cartridge production. I dont mind it taking time but i want cartridge production with ease! It takes forever Screwing, unscrewing, UH OH I MESSED UP , unscrew again... It takes a while and its not fun. Sometimes I just walk upstairs to get my mind off of things because it's going bad.

Like I said I might do 10-30 cartridges at once.

I have:

40-82 WCF
.32 Remington
.44 Mag
.44-40
7.62x54R ( Never even took the dies out the box, Never used them yet )

I love my .40-82 but it drives me mental when it doesn't chamber or a random issue pops up.

kmw1954
07-26-2019, 01:58 AM
Kev18 I have 4 presses, a single stage press, the Lee Turret press I already mentioned and 2 different progressive presses. I use them all and they all serve a different purpose. If I could only keep one because of what I load and the way I load I would probably keep the Turret press because it is the most versatile and can do everything I need to do in a relatively easy fashion. Now if I was loading mostly rifles then my choice of press may be different.

I am one that believes there is no perfect press just as there are no perfect press operators.

Read, listen, ask questions and you will make an informed decision. No matter what everyone else will tell you which is best only you know yourself, what you like, dislike. How you prefer to do thing. Just be honest with yourself as to what you want to accomplish.

Three44s
07-26-2019, 02:22 AM
Kev18,

Everyone of the cartridges on your list would perfectly thrive on a Lee Classic turret or any other for that matter.

The area I have a concern with turrets is with the small bores in a long range setting.

Those cartridges are not on your list.

Best regards

Three44s

Hickory
07-26-2019, 04:07 AM
If Ruger ever built a reloading press I'd retire my orange crusher for it!

Rcmaveric
07-26-2019, 06:35 AM
My wallet is skinny. I am happy eith my Lee Classic Turret Press. I have the Loadmaster waiting on me at home after deployment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sig556r
07-26-2019, 07:31 AM
This is like asking why Taurus is cheaper than Kimber when they're both 1911s...

6bg6ga
07-26-2019, 07:41 AM
You get what you pay for. Some of the cheap presses are made out of crap. You pay more for precision and you will understand more when you actually use the different brands. Buy once and buy good.

GhostHawk
07-26-2019, 08:19 AM
I have loaded everthing for the last 5-6 years on a lee hand press. Uses the quick change bushings.

It is probably not as its best resising large rifle cases. Imperial sizing die wax makes a huge difference.

I have a lee classic cast C mounted inverted for sizing and gas check work.

I have some variant of a Lee O type press that I play around with swaging on, and resizing large rifle cases.

Everything else gets done on the Lee hand press. I like the feel, the control.

I do decap with a Frankford Arsenal hand decapper. From there brass gets citric acid wash, several rinses. I then like to bring the mass wrapped into a towel to my recliner where I run a primer pocket brush into each case and roll it over a clean cotton towel on my leg. This pretty much gets rid of the last of the goop. From here I could run them in several options of vibratory or tumblers with a variety of mediums from walnut hull to stainless steel pins. But for me this is good enough.

The mass of brass in a towel is places on my kitchen stove over the pilot to dry for an hour.

Clean and dry, they are now ready to be resized.

I do primers with a pair of RCBS Univeral hand primers, one large, one small.
From there they go into a block primer up. Each upside down brass gets charged, and placed into a different block right side up.

30 seconds with a flashlight shows up double charges, under charges, etc.
From here they are ready to have a bullet seated.

This right here IMO is the heart of the lee hand press advantage. As you have significantly improved feel on the seating process. Anything wrong is instantly apparent.

I do use the Lee powder through die to flare neck. And if I don't have one, I use the lee univeral neck flaring die for the same purpose.

The vast majority of my shooting these days is 2 to 4.6 grains of Red Dot in almost everything.
.32swlong to .357 mag.

.44 mag and .444marline get 6.5 grains. They seem to do well there.

I don't shoot that much so I don't care about progressive or turret presses. Except to say if you make a mistake there, you can be a long time fixing it.

With single stage, if I get distracted and screw up, its one round. Toss it and move on.

Using this system I did do 200 rounds of 9mm in 3 days including the casting, lubing. The last 2 days were long sessions. But they made good accurate ammo. Ammo that cycles well in my guns, is easy on the shooter, not so easy on the target.

Three44s
07-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Ghost hawk,

I liked the looks of those portable presses as well and scarfed up a Lyman of the same sort a while back. No breech lock bushing but you can also bench mount it if you care to. Have not done much with it yet.

With my varmint gun shooting I picked up on inside flashole deburring. I was noticing how dirty Red Dot burned in my revolvers and was doing some 44 Mag shot loads. I was so impressed with the better burn that I adopted the practice with all my metallic cartridge hand loading.

You need your cases uniform in length to get an even bevel but once the deed is done, you never look back. Just don’t over cut with the debur tool as you can not put it back.

I am like the Op at times as once in a while some straggler casings float into the process and I get frustrated having to change dies in and out to usher them into the rest of the batch. There a turret press really shines. The lock and load or breech lock system also achieves smoothing out those frustrations.

My big ‘ole Redding Boss press is a brute by the Lee hand press by any standard but I can feel with it if I use less fingers on the handle but being able to work in a chair of more comfort and to chose the scenery as I work is appealing especially when I get a wry neck and shoulder at the man cave bench. My session gets cut short when it gets to hurting too much.

My little “secret potion” rubbed there and that goes away though (you would think I would keep a bit of it there so a walk back to the house would not be require to get relief, I need to smarten up?). The truth is that I like to apply it with clean unleaded fingers and there is no washing facilities at the man station. I suppose waterless hand cleaner could suffice?

Best regards

Three44s

Elroy
07-26-2019, 09:59 AM
It is true that with a higher price tag you buy higher quality,but you are also payi g for name recognition, and in some cases you are paying for a press that has more ability,or features that you may never need.One feature that all presses share is the fact that they all apply full pressure to the rim of the brass,and even the cheapest press can pull one off the rim..You definitely don't want to tolerate a sloppy ram,or one that you think will become sloppy with whatever your personal use will envolve,and you don't want one that looks weak.Like the aluminum C styles with the hollow base.Logic goes a long way in picking a press.

6bg6ga
07-26-2019, 10:03 AM
I sincerely doubt that you will get anyone here on the forum to say they regret the purchase of their Dillon reloading press. You will however be able to obtain comments from those with questionable brands that regret their purchase of the brand that saved them a few bucks.

onelight
07-26-2019, 11:48 AM
“ you get what you pay for” What you pay for may not be worth what it costs to fit your needs.

Here are a few items for the nothing but the best crowd.[smilie=s:
https://thetechreader.com/top-ten/top-ten-stupidest-ridiculously-expensive-items-that-only-the-ultra-rich-can-buy/

Shawlerbrook
07-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Hard to beat the RCBS Rockchucker unless volume reloading is your thing.

kmw1954
07-26-2019, 12:28 PM
I sincerely doubt that you will get anyone here on the forum to say they regret the purchase of their Dillon reloading press. You will however be able to obtain comments from those with questionable brands that regret their purchase of the brand that saved them a few bucks.

So, once again the only press worth buying it a buy once cry once Dillon. The only presses Dillon makes are progressives. They do not make a Turret and they do not make a single stage. So what are you to do if you do not need or want a progressive press? You do understand that not everyone needs or wants a progressive press, Right?

JBinMN
07-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Someone pass the :popcorn: ...

I knew it was gonna happen... Like so many times before.

kmw1954
07-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Someone pass the :popcorn: ...

I knew it was gonna happen... Like so many times before.

Sadly I agree. As you seen the other thread a couple weeks ago was completely deleted!

After Kev18 made comment on a turret press in post #7 I offered an opinion on the turret press in post #9 and referenced a press that is no longer in production, the Lee 3 hole and offered the reasoning behind the purchase. Then in post #11 Kev18 asked another direct question on the use of a turret press. Again in my post #13 I tried to answer that question and again referenced the Lee press with a description of how I implement it.

Not once in any of my posts or comments did I advocate for Lee presses or suggest that everyone rush right out and get one. All I did was relate my impression of a tool and how I used it. How anyone else takes and interprets or implements those comments is entirely up to them. If they want to follow my usage, great. If not well that is great too.

JBinMN
07-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Earlier , in post #8, I posted, then edited to remove what is below, between the dashed lines, ------, for a comment.
I offered some suggestions on how to find topics where this "choice" has been discussed before, described what was likely to happen, as has been shown above now in a few posts, and what is usually the result of such topics.

It all boils down in the end to the decision being made by the OP in the first place and they usually just wanted some "backup" or "group assurance/confirmation" on their decision, to help them just get to obtaining it. A final "help me make MY decision" to get them to "take the leap".

It is natural for many folks to seek the counsel of others. The only thing is , is that that person seeking the counsel now needs to sort thru what is bias & what is actual info worth considering.

An example would be that if someone says, "I only use "whatever", it is what I started with & none can top it, so get the same "whatever" I did & forget about the others.", I will see bias because that person has not used any of the other choices & is just promoting that "their choice" was the best, and would be for someone else & they have No Experience with any of the other choices. Usually just hearsay about the other choices & generally use any bad reports of other choices as "confirmation bias" to help them convince themselves that they made a good decision when they obtained "their whatever".

One would be better off with a person who has the experience of using more than a few of the choices of "whatever", and has actual "hands on" use & can describe those "pros & cons" as I mention in the part of the post I removed earlier, that I will place below.

These "what is the best?" type topics, although usually well meant for someone to get help in making a decision on what to do, or how to do something, usually devolve/erode into a "pssing contest" and end up either being removed/deleted, or just fizzle out until the next person askes, "What is the Best" or that type of thing & it starts all over again.

And that is why I started out in the post below on Searching the forum first before posting one of these type topics...

Anyway, here is the topic below & I have no interest in replying to any more posts in this topic. I am stating an opinion, "MY opinion, & if you don't like it, go kick rocks.
;)

Now, for what I removed. ( & likely should have left there, now in hindsight... Might have made a difference. Who knows. ;) )

-------------------------
There are a LOT of topics here at CB.GL forum covering this question about what presses to get when looking to "upgrade".
I know you don't want to hear this type of response to your OP, but please try using the Advanced search engine here at the top right corner of each forum page just above the first post, or one of the other internet search engines & ask with keywords like:

single stage reloading press

or something along that line of keywords.

Just using the Fourm Advanced Search engine, there are 1202 topics that you could look at & see if the title of the topic is worth searching in. {http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=5657020 }

Using Google, and setting the parameter, "site:http://castboolits.gunloads.com" with those keywords, to just have Google look in just his forum, like:

single stage reloading press site: castboolits.gunloads.com

there are about 3,610 results (0.33 seconds)
{ https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=neM5Xae1NIu6tQXfopTwAQ&q=single+stage+reloading+press+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2 Fcastboolits.gunloads.com&oq=single+stage+reloading+press+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F% 2Fcastboolits.gunloads.com&gs_l=psy-ab.12...3085.3085..26839...0.0..0.1759.1883.0j1j8-1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.....0.KEIfmv88e_A&ved=0ahUKEwjn952LydDjAhULXa0KHV8RBR4Q4dUDCAs }

Using Google & , in particular the "archives" of the forum, by using the addition of the term "archive" in the keyword set above, you get just the results from the CB.GL forum Archives. About 1,730 results (0.36 seconds):
The keywords used & parameter:

single stage reloading press site: castboolits.gunloads.com/archive

You can use those same keywords & parameters in any internet search engine & find a lot of topics just in this forum alone that cover what you are asking to know.

You may have just asked, "What is the Best Single stage reloading press" & you would get the same answers & conflicting opinions you are likely to get here in this topic.

I understand you are trying to gather info in order to make a decision about upgrading to a different press than the one you seem to think is not doing what you want any more, but remember that folks have been asking that same question numerous times & still usually end up with the same choice.
The one that they want & were just looking for some "group assurance", or "group confirmation" that it is a good decision.

You will read/hear that Blue ones are better than Red ones, or Green is better than Orange & all sorts of combinations.

You will read/hear that what you should do is just move to a progressive instead of a single stage because you may want to increase your production in the future, etc..

You will read/hear about the advantages of a turret press over a single stage, that a progressive is better than either a turret or a single stage, etc.

You will get answers/opinions of others who want to justify that their decision on what press to get was the best one & you should follow their lead, etc..

You will get replies suggesting you just get "such & such" a press by some particular mnfr., since it is the best & none of the others are as good, etc.

And so on & so forth.

Now, not yet in this forum, have I run across a serious look at presses listing each ones "pros & cons" across the board covering ALL manufacturers.

It appears no one has taken the time that I know of to do such a topic/post.
. Kind of like what Consumer Reports does with products. Rating them on price point, abilities to do the job, length of service (with normal usage), warranty, etc...

Once someone does that, then all that would be necessary is to just point folks to that list & let them decide on their own. ( Which is what they are going to do anyway.)

Yeah, I know folks don't want to realize this & just will keep on posting what their opinion of what press they have or do not have and why, ad infinitum & as nauseam. I guess it is just a typical thing for folks to just ask the same questions over & over without doing any research thru the search functions available & then asking about a particular press( or whatever item) and specifics about that particular press.
BY doing a sort of "narrowing down of what is being looked for & then asking. Such as " I have narrowed down my researching to " whatever", and would like some input on those who have & own those particular "whatevers".

Otherwise you are going to get all sorts of leads on "whatevers" that Others bought & use, & likely not ever get a consensus on what would be the Best for YOU...

-----------------------

Once again, like in the post #8,

I wish ya G'Luck! in your search & decision(s). In the end it will be YOU who decides what you want & why though, regardless of what others say to try to help or even persuade you what to get.

David2011
07-26-2019, 08:56 PM
This is like asking why Taurus is cheaper than Kimber when they're both 1911s...

Having worked on both brands and seeing the similarities in their internals it’s a reasonable question.

Well, there will always be one.

The OP should evaluate both wants and needs. What someone wants to accomplish will help define the needs. I have a Rock Chucker II and if it somehow broke beyond repair (hard to imagine) the one difference I would seek in a new press is better spent primer handling. Other than that it does everything I want from a single stage press. It has LnL bushings on the press and all frequently used dies/tools. That provides much of the utility of a turret press. Die changes take 2 seconds.

I would certainly consider a Lee Classic Cast if the RC II broke due to its primer handling.

RED BEAR
07-26-2019, 09:25 PM
I use lee single stage. Not because its the best thing since sliced bread but because it just worked for me. I know exactly what you are saying about having to change dies in middle of loading. I to have considered a lee turret press. I did buy a smart loader c press years ago mainly because i couldn't believe they could make a press for $10 dollar press. Now i just use it so i don't have to stop and change dies.
Now for the advice i have to agree with JB the final choice is yours. I would suggest going to store where you can see and feel how they work. And pick the one you like best and can afford.

richhodg66
07-27-2019, 12:13 AM
I'll never use a progressive. Not ever.

Interesting, my brother did just get rid of a Dillon machine because it was more trouble than it was worth and their customer support was bad. He's an avid bullseye shooter and decided to go with a pretty basic turret set up of some kind for his .45 ACP loading.

Rockchucker does 99% of it for me, and I have a couple of other single stages that are going to be set up for specific functions. I did recently pick up an old Lyman All American turret and it will be dedicated to .45 Colt in all likelihood, maybe .38 Special.

Anybody who says something as stupid as "the only real press is a Dillon" has more money than sense.

Three44s
07-27-2019, 12:53 AM
Kev18, the OP is using a beginner Lee Single stage and that gives me no pain. I think it is great that he is a hand loader. We need all we can get .... handloaders tend to be greater gun rights advocates than occasional shooters.

Kev18 asked a logical question about presses, little did he know he would set off the ever present trip wire as to brand hatred that persists in the greater shooting community. I would rather just give an unpassioned assesment of what I have worked with and leave it at that as the vast majority of members do and that is what I believe Kev18 is seeking and deserves.

As to a perfect machine or perfect line of tools (I will leave colors aside) .... I hardly think that mankind has achieved that yet nor likely never will. Getting mad because a member will not throw their tooling in the trash can at our behest and adopting the line of tools that are in fact not perfect does not make good sense.

I apologize if this seems directed at richhodge66 because it is not, his angst is about progressives as a whole, he just points to a color that is not perfect after all in passing.

I have on one occasion turned a newbie away from the Lee 1000 only for him to buy it anyway and then never use it, what a waste. I had one and told him my concerns with it and that I would make him a heck of a deal on it but that as a friend he would not get it because he was a green newbie. The guy I bought it off of told me the 1000 put him out of handloading when he bulged a barrel on his S&W revolver because of a squib load.

Now I do not berate the 1000 but I do put up a pretty strong arguement for newbies to avoid it. A seasoned loader could get by alright so long as (this my opinion) he or she split the loading in half and did case prep on one trip and charging and seating the next cycle. I am sure there are many Lee 1000 users who take issue with that position but I am sticking to it.

It is simple mathematics that you can not size bell charge and seat with three stations and also powder check at the same time.

I draw a bright red line without a powder check.

Three44s

DocSavage
07-27-2019, 07:40 AM
I have 2 single stage presses a RCBS Rock Chucker and a Redding Big Boss 2 I do some case reforming and these are what I use for that purpose. They are used for small runs of 20 rds or less. My other presses are 2 Dillon 650s. I try not to give my opinion on subjects like this but I will say that if you're starting out and money is tight Lee is the best way to go.
They tend to be decent machines for the most part,my only complaint is the 2 year warranty. Not a fan of their hand priming tool as I went thru 2 of them section that held the shell holder snapped right off. Who knows maybe the OP will stick to his Lee or at some point decides he wants to go to a "beefier" O frame he'll not be out a lot of cash on the Lee and he can put in reserve in case there's a problem with the larger press.

dverna
07-27-2019, 07:50 AM
If you are constantly changing out dies...find a press that allows that.

My Co-Ax has that feature and I do not need to readjust dies...just slip them in and out...but it is not cheap. I assume any of the "bushing" type presses like the Hornady will do the same.

Ignore most of what has been posted and address YOUR needs.

Rcmaveric
07-27-2019, 08:23 AM
If you are constantly changing out dies...find a press that allows that.

My Co-Ax has that feature and I do not need to readjust dies...just slip them in and out...but it is not cheap. I assume any of the "bushing" type presses like the Hornady will do the same.

Ignore most of what has been posted and address YOUR needs.Honestly thats the best advice. Take a look at how you reload then look for ways to streamline your process and speed it up.

Compare tools and look for process improves. I dont care about name brand. I do care about reviews and you can easily spot a biased opinion from a genuine.

If price is your main concern look for sales and/or post a want to buy add. When you do upgrade, keep that Lee single stage because you can then dedicate it to a strep help stream line your process or dedicate it to a station in your batch reloading process.

One thing i do love about a turret press. Is when running it in progressive mode i get a complete round thats ready to fire. Sometimes during batch style reloading i get to a step where i am tired and dont feel comfortable stopping (like when i batch charge cases). I cant stop till i am done. Well if i was on my turret press, i can just go to bed because that round is ready to be sent. Next reloading session just run a few rounds to make sure everthing is adjusted right and then it is away it goes.

After using my Lee Classic Turret in both modes. I really do love the auto index, but still get nudge it with me finger to check for allignment and most often pop it into detent. Not much of a hassel. I realize i would be happy with any of the turret presses though. Even the 8 station turret press makes me wish i could buy it for the imaginesld uses i could dream of.

Each press for my bench has its intended purpose like any other tool. Precision work still gets done on the single stage as does load development. Proven loads and more mass accurate ammo is done on the turret.

What ever you choose learn to work with its quirks and use it as directed.

Yeah, i still use my hand press also. I love crimping rounds with it as well as seating bullets. I broke mine and still use. Its strong enough to stick a case in a die lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Three44s
07-27-2019, 10:05 AM
I did not mention the Coax since I do not have one but it is touted as an excellent press and I have been wanting one for some time.

Some folks hate the on press priming but I prime off the press. Some dislike the shell holder plate change over for some more odd cases the universal unit does not work for. I believe there is a conversion that minimizes the little spring loaded pieces from flying around during change over?

Three44s

onelight
07-27-2019, 10:58 AM
None of this applies to equipment junkies :bigsmyl2:
The equipment that works well is very dependent on what you need to get accomplished and how adaptable you are in the process and for many budget . There is no doubt that for many specialized tasks you try to pick the best tool for that application you don’t need a 350.00 coax press to size bullets or load 3 or 4 hundred 45 colts a year a 37.00 press would do it just as well you will probably never have a problem with it , and the first 2 or 3 box’s of cartridges pay for it.
Unless I had a special purpose in mind I would not buy a press without a primer feed
for most applications I want to prime on the press YMMV. Priming seems to be the biggest common issue on progressive presses if you have to stop in the middle of a session and sort it out it defeats the reason for having a progressive , and greatly increases the chance of a squib or double charge , these problems much less frequent the more you spend. An exception to this are the Lee progressives the auto breech lock pro is the easiest to deal with primers then the pro 1000 then the loadmaster.
I would probably not buy another loadmaster for this reason it had to be kept really clean and was time consuming to get running well but it was fast and I liked having 5 stations . The pro 1000 was easier to run smooth but only has 3 stations it loaded many 1000s of rounds for 4 shooters. The auto breech lock pro is by far the easiest to control the primers on you can see the primer in the cup ,it is the lowest output but still gives you a loaded round each stroke . The breech lock bushings work well but I wish it used the 4 hole turrets I would buy it again. The 22.00 case feeder and the collator work well on all three once you have the habit of catching the occasional upside down case . There is no doubt the Hornady LNL and dillons are bettter built presses I could afford any of these , and if offered a Dillon 550 for any where near the same price as the ABLP set up for the 5 calibers I load on it ,It would be Dillon for me.
All that said for general reloading single stage/turret I like the LCT better than any thing else out there. And one more thought on warranty I can buy 2 or 3 LCT presses for less than any other turret and none have the combination of features that I like.
When I bought mine I had read of some small plastic parts that might fail I bought 2 or three of each at 1.00 or 2 each many 1000s of rounds later none have failed my ham handed buddy has broken several.:bigsmyl2: (it is his favorite press to)
Lee equipment requires different set up than the Lyman and RCBS stuff I started with for example the safety prime will drive you nuts if you don’t follow the directions that come with the Lee sizer die , you need to adjust from the directions.
Don't reengineer the press. They will work

JeepHammer
07-27-2019, 01:01 PM

Interesting, my brother did just get rid of a Dillon machine because it was more trouble than it was worth and their customer support was bad. He's an avid bullseye shooter and decided to go with a pretty basic turret set up of some kind for his .45 ACP loading.

Rockchucker does 99% of it for me, and I have a couple of other single stages that are going to be set up for specific functions. I did recently pick up an old Lyman All American turret and it will be dedicated to .45 Colt in all likelihood, maybe .38 Special.

Anybody who says something as stupid as "the only real press is a Dillon" has more money than sense.

True Turret, Tool Head, or 'C'/'O' frame, Co-Axial, etc.,
Manual progressive, self indexing progressive, partly or fully automated,
How the press 'Runs' (after initial design/manufacture) is entirely up to the mechanical abilities of the end user.

*IF* the press was poorly designed or executed, it takes superior mechanical skills to keep it running.
If the basic design & execution were sound, then it's 100% up to the owner/operator to keep it 'Tuned' and running.
Everything wears, and ANY moving part will need to be adjusted from time to time... Just facts of a mechanical world.

My Dillons, from SBDs that load pistol ammo, to 650s that load common rifle ammo, to the 1050s I use for case processing can & do work.
They aren't industrial machines like my Camdex, but they also don't run $54,000 new, or take a year to get...

To declare ALL progressive machines 'Junk' is arbitrary at best, particularly when so many people get the very same machines to run well with little or no effort.
Some people will get an occasional 'Lemon' since Dillon machines are mass produced,
But since I do some tuning/repairs for the local gun shop (Dillon dealer) it's usually a lack of mechanical abilities.

----------

While I started with a used Rock Chucker 45 years ago, and still own/use,
My first new purchase was a Lee 'Turret' (tool head) press,and I still use it every time I load.
After 40 years of using a Lee 'Turret' press, I can solidly say it's reliable and accurate enough for most common reloading. It's not exactly a bench shooter choice, but if you can tune it, it will make match grade ammo, and it cranks out common range/hunting ammo with little or no fussing around.

The Dillon 650 will crank out match grade ammo at up to 1,000 rounds an hour if you stay on it, and the estimated 650 rounds an hour is without working yourself to death.
It also rarely fails to make a high quality round.

My 'Progressive' Dillon SBD in .45 ACP has loaded around 400,000 rounds in the 20 years I've owned it, and it rarely fails. Dillon customer service has rebuilt it twice without complaint or cost to me, so I can't say anything bad about Dillon customer service.

I've owned two different Lee Loadmasters, and both would not run more than a couple hundred rounds without issues. These I don't recommend in the strongest terms!
I beat one off the bench with a hammer, the other I keep as an example to new reloaders of what NOT to buy.

It's all about your volume (or the budget), some companies just have one or two items that work exceptionally well, with Lee it's the factory crimp (collet) die and the 'Turret' (tool head) press.
I'm a big thumbs up on both because of longevity, function & price.

jmort
07-27-2019, 01:21 PM
"I've owned two different Lee Loadmasters, and both would not run more than a couple hundred rounds without issues. These I don't recommend in the strongest terms!"

The Loadmaster can run real good, but not stock, my opinion. Many people are using it just fine. There is a lot of info on how to get them humming.
I have more presses than most and less than some. There are a lot of great choices. I am thankful for that.
For the $$$ it is hard to beat the Lee Precision Classic Turret
Single stage, a Rock Chucker makes sense
First progressive, I like the 550s
If I could only have one press, it would be the LCT
Set up the turrets and swap them out
I do not use the auto-index advance, but that is a great feature
You can always buy more presses

onelight
07-27-2019, 01:32 PM
Yup JeepHammer high production work is a severe test compared to some one like me that needs 1 to 2 hundred rounds a week I may load 500 auto pistol round in a session but I don’t need to.
I was a mechanic for many years and the tools I recommended for home maintenance were not allways the same I used commercially same for tractor implements, some tasks require the best and some don’t.

JeepHammer
07-27-2019, 01:40 PM
I've seen endless videos on how to deal with 'Problems' on the Loadmaster.
The fact there is endless videos of how to fix endless problems is testimony to the fact they have endless problems...
I can't 'Recommend' one to anyone that isn't mechanically inclined and willing to take on those problems, and I'm sure not going to recommend one to a novice as a first progressive!

Too many flimsy parts, too many non-captured linkages that can stick/not function, too much plastic for my taste...
CONSTANT tuning, hand lapping to get things flat/true, too many springs that short or long return parts, just too many 'Glitch' points for me.

By the time you add the revolving case feeder tubes, shaker that allows inverted cases, etc. You can have a Dillon SBD that works nearly 100% of the time with no 'Fiddling'.

I want to make ammo, not work on the machine and wait for replacement parts endlessly...
That was my experience with two different Loadmasters, and I own a machine shop, work on mechanical devices every day...

Yup JeepHammer high production work is a severe test compared to some one like me that needs 1 to 2 hundred rounds a week I may load 500 auto pistol round in a session but I don’t need to.
I was a mechanic for many years and the tools I recommended for home maintenance were not allways the same I used commercially same for tractor implements, some tasks require the best and some don’t.

That's why I can recommend the Lee 'Turret' (tool head) press.
40+ years of service, different caliber dies in tool heads already set up, quick caliber changes, an auto index that works and doesn't cost a fortune...
Captured tool head frame so no stretching/opening up/misalignment from the frame.

It's the 'Every Man' reloader that doesn't bust the bank.
They are eBay for cheap used and since the design hasn't changed much in 40+ years, parts are still available when it does wear.

When you get big, stubborn, thick walled brass the RCBS Rock Chucker is hard to beat, and they are EVERYWHERE if you are on a tight budget.
It's as simple as a dead blow hammer, and if you break one you are doing more than I have on one.
Since it's a swage press, it's overbuilt for a simple brass bender press, so hard to damage/break.
My only complaint is slow to change/set up dies on the older ones without the 'Breach Lock' adapters.

I bought mine used, and it's going to outlive me since I clean/lubricate it...

The Lee 'Turret' and RCBS Rock Chucker are serious tools that do the two different jobs reloaders want done, and that anyone owning several presses values more as time goes on, they simply WORK.

kmw1954
07-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Many comments here that reflect the same sentiments that I have and reinforce what I stated way back in post #5. Much of which is that many of these presses and designs have been around for almost 50 years with little to no changes made to them. That is saying something about the tools we use and the people that design and manufacture them. Whether it be Bonanza, Dillon, Hornady, Lee, Lyman or RCBS. Each and every one of us may have a preference and another brand that we absolutely detest and we have a right to that opinion. Sometimes it just comes down to when should that opinion be shared or kept to ourselves!

I have also stated that not everyone Absolutely Needs a progressive press to reload just as for some a single stage press is very laborious and tedious. Myself as an example, I only load moderate amounts of pistol only ammunition and for me that single stage press is very Laborious and Tedious when trying to do 200 to 500 at a time. At the same time there is no way I would ever need a Dillon 1050 or even a 650 were I could easily load a couple of years worth of ammunition in an afternoon. Do I really need to lay out $1k+ dollars plus caliber changes to load only 1-2k rounds per year? Not in my mind.

Personal experiences, I own and use 4 different presses. Of those 3 were purchased used as were all the die sets I have. Which again goes back to the sentiment that this stuff is over built to begin with and will last a couple of lifetimes if taken care of and not abused or used for something other than what it was designed for.

Like everything else there are different levels of build, design and intended use. Tools have this, cars have this, boats have this appliances have this and even homes have this. From entry level to the cream of the crop. There is nothing different with this operating model for reloading equipment than there is for anything else man makes.

1hole
07-27-2019, 09:48 PM
So I might be on the market for another press soon. For now I have a Lee single stage press that came in the beginner kit they sell. It serves me well! I was wondering what the differences are between brands? For example all single stage presses look pretty much the same, so Why do some cost alot more then others? Are some sturdier, have tight tolerances? Whats the big deal with expensive brands?

The difference is between presses is by designs, not brands. Any press designs that look the same are pretty much the same and the tolerances all seem to be about the same. The big deal with large and costly presses is snob appeal because cost and hype are are the poorest guides to usable "quality" we can have.

Fact is virtually any press on the market will do all normal reloading tasks, including case reforming, quite well, including yours. Yeah, massive iron presses are "stronger" but it's to no avail. Thing is, once a press is sufficent for what you're doing no more strength is needed and having "more" serves no purpose.

Fact is, and howls to the contrary aside, your Lee Challenger press is quite strong and is very precisely machined. Keep that toggle block cross bolt tight and your press will serve you well. I can assure you that getting a bigger (and more costly) press will not, of itself, make you any better ammo.

BUT, if you want a stronger press anyway, look at Lee's steel and cast iron Classic Cast. It's big and strong enough to load .50 BMG and can honestly swage jacketed bullets; my Rock Chucker is not up to that. The C.C. handles spent primers cleanly and the lever is fully adjustable, both are very nice things to have and neither is true of my RC.

Bottom line, I've been loading since 1965. I'm an old reloader with lots of colors on my bench but I'm not a brand snob. I don't have silly blind loyalty for or against inanimate devices; I buy my new tools by features, not color or price or web hype. So, IF I had to replace my green RC tomorrow there would soon be a big red Lee C.C. on my bench because, currently, it's the better press in its design class. (It's what forced RCBS to produce their new bigger presses! :))

Kev18
07-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Alright, well after reading alot of these a turret press seems to be good for me. A Lee Economy Turret is 125$ but it looks like it has an awkward frame and handle... The Classic Turret is 165$ but looks really nice!

Three44s
07-27-2019, 11:49 PM
If you are liking the Lee turrets go with the classic. I really like mine and you have compound leverage to show for the added price.

Speaking of price, I paid around 80 bucks when they first came out. You might want to shop around. I found a barely used one for 100 for a friend from another friend a year ago.

Enjoy

Three44s

onelight
07-27-2019, 11:58 PM
Alright, well after reading alot of these a turret press seems to be good for me. A Lee Economy Turret is 125$ but it looks like it has an awkward frame and handle... The Classic Turret is 165$ but looks really nice!
Check prices at some of the cast boolit sponsors
Titan and midsouth shooters are 2 I have used you will be glad you did.

David2011
07-28-2019, 01:19 AM

Nobody wants you to use a progressive but your feelings about them should not deter others. For consumer progressives Dillon is the gold standard. Too many people have too much success with them. I have always found their customer service to be exemplary as have many here. I've had RCBS single stage presses since 1981 and Dillons since 1991 with no significant problems from any and excellent customer service from both companies. Every friend that has owned a progressive that was not a Dillon told me that they wish they had bought Dillon after using mine.

A Rock Chucker is more trouble than it's worth if I need to load a few hundred rounds. A Dillon is FAR more trouble than it's worth if I want to load 60 or fewer rounds. If I load more than 60, I'm probably loading hundreds.

jmorris
07-28-2019, 02:14 AM
Whats the big deal with expensive brands?

The answer to that question is the same for pretty much everything, the ones that work the best, with the most reliability have more value and bring higher prices.

If everyone could get a Lee loadmaster to run like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjmuHAkBU&t=69s

The other brands would die due to their much higher prices but that simply is not the case.

jmort
07-28-2019, 07:40 AM
If you are liking the Lee turrets go with the classic. I really like mine and you have compound leverage to show for the added price.

Speaking of price, I paid around 80 bucks when they first came out. You might want to shop around. I found a barely used one for 100 for a friend from another friend a year ago.

Enjoy

Three44s

He is in Canada
Plus, those are Canadian dollars he is quoating

kmw1954
07-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Kev18 best wishes and good luck to ya.
The new Lee Value Turret Press is a recent redesign and should be an improvement over the older model. The Classic Cast model is much more robust and in my opinion would be a better choice of the two because of the fact that you are reloading rifle as well as pistol rounds.

Next, these presses really do perform best when used with Lee powder thru expander dies and a Lee Auto powder measure. As long as you do not use stick type powders. But if you do use them about any of the small powder funnels will slip right into the Lee die to aide in charging cases.

6bg6ga
07-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Gentlemen I'm very sorry for forgetting that not everyone is capable of operating a press that is more complicated than a single stage press. Damn good thing they make the cheap single stage presses for those of you starting out. Your absolutely right in your thought process. A short time back I purchased a Lyman -T- Mag press for the wife so she could learn to reload beside me and now she has graduated to a Dillon 550 and has her eye on my 650.

kmw1954
07-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Gentlemen I'm very sorry for forgetting that not everyone is capable of operating a press that is more complicated than a single stage press. Damn good thing they make the cheap single stage presses for those of you starting out. Your absolutely right in your thought process. A short time back I purchased a Lyman -T- Mag press for the wife so she could learn to reload beside me and now she has graduated to a Dillon 550 and has her eye on my 650.

Now there is a nice and very condescending comment for the rest of us.

6bg6ga
07-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Now there is a nice and very condescending comment for the rest of us.

And thank you for pointing it out. Give yourself a pat on the back

fast ronnie
07-28-2019, 12:20 PM
I know this has been beat to death, but will still offer my opinion.
A beginning loader should start with a single stage press, and if not sure if you will stick with it or enjoy it, try to find a good used press. I have purchased a couple of used Rock Chuckers for $50. That way, if you decide this is not for you, you can pretty much get all of your money back. If you stay with it, a good single stage will last a lifetime and for small batches is the ideal way to go.This way you can learn the basics first. After the basics have been mastered, one can step up to a progressive if so desired. A progressive can load a lot of good rounds in a hurry, but by the same standard, can load many bad rounds in the same amount of time.
I recently had to disassemble 400 rounds because I forgot to check for stainless pins inside the cases after tumbling. (I didn't find a single one) I do use a progressive (SDB2) that I traded from a friend who never used it. (literally had never been out of the box) I load several different rounds on it, but still use one of my Rock Chuckers for rifle and for short runs of different sorts.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the OP, but is a word for newbys. Get what suits your needs and budget best, but learn the basics first, and the first is a good loading manual. After 40 years, I still get out the manuals and read the "how to" sections from time to time. It is easy to forget some things through habit or whatever. This is one hobby that is not a real good idea to make mistakes, as they can be costly.

kmw1954
07-28-2019, 12:23 PM
And thank you for pointing it out. Give yourself a pat on the back

And Thank You! But I am not into self aggrandizement like someone here!

6bg6ga
07-28-2019, 12:25 PM
I disagree whole heatedly. Why take baby steps when with a little thought and patience you can buy once and save yourself a good deal of money. You don't need to start with a single stage press. Reloading isn't complicated. Its very easy to set up a FL die and then set up the next stage/die and so forth.

kmw1954
07-28-2019, 12:41 PM
I disagree whole heatedly. Why take baby steps when with a little thought and patience you can buy once and save yourself a good deal of money. You don't need to start with a single stage press. Reloading isn't complicated. Its very easy to set up a FL die and then set up the next stage/die and so forth.

You sir are a joke. There are no baby steps involved here and neither is there patience or intelligence. You have made it perfectly clear by your comments that there in no reason for any other press than a Dillon. You have pointed that out in every topic where this has come up, not just this one. You refuse to accept that not everyone that reloads and uses a reloading press needs a multi-function progressive reloading press yet you keep preaching the same sermon.

Then you come here and offer such a condescending comment insulting everyone that disagrees with you I find silly and disparaging.

XDROB
07-28-2019, 12:53 PM
I disagree whole heatedly. Why take baby steps when with a little thought and patience you can buy once and save yourself a good deal of money. You don't need to start with a single stage press. Reloading isn't complicated. Its very easy to set up a FL die and then set up the next stage/die and so forth.As I stated in my previous post, I think a beginner should start with a single stage press. It teaches you what each step is. And teaches you safety. What not to do or what to look for.

I started to research reloading. Read a bunch of how does. When I had finished my research I was ready to spend my money. Then Sandy Hook happened. I went to Cabelas in Hartford Ct. Oh yeah I forgot to say I live in Ct. When I got to the store again as I said before The Shelves Looked Like The Bread Aisle Before A Storm. The Only press on the shelf was a Hornady LnL. So here I go reloading. Paid serious attention to what I was doing. Learned very quickly how fast you can make a mistake and quadruple it quickly. Luckily never realized it at the range. One of the first accessorie I bought was a powder cop die. Next was a lightning system by Inline Fabrication. Only reload straight case brass. 45, 9, 380 right now. I still read everything I get my hands on.

And have been having a blast (no pun intended) shooting something I put together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1hole
07-28-2019, 08:00 PM
As I stated in my previous post, I think a beginner should start with a single stage press. It teaches you what each step is. And teaches you safety. What not to do or what to look for.

Correct. And, truth be told, very few of us ever have any need or desire for a turret OR progressive. Pompously pronouncing that everyone needs - or at least wants - a progressive is foolish. After some 60 years of avid handloading, mostly for precision rifle ammo, my several single stages still do exactly what I want them to do. And that's true for virtually all of my (longish) list of reloading friends; we are not fools. In all those years, I've never even known but two loaders using a progressive.

But it IS amusing to read silly web expert pronouncements about what other people need! :)

Kev18
07-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Everyone is arguing about the presses! Honestly I dont own any calibers that would fit in there. I have the lee manual on my lap right now and they say the biggest caliber that fits in there is a .223! I dont reload anything that small. A turret would be good for me... It would be nice to just poop out 100 rounds in 5 minutes but I dont even have any "simple cartridges" all odd ball stuff. Maybe except .44 mag. I only wanted a new press for more ease with the damn dies. Always fumbling everywhere, changing them out, and whether you want it or not they get messed up with the adjustments and all...

onelight
07-28-2019, 09:02 PM
Hang in there Kev18 you sort through this mess look at what you can and make your own choice :popcorn: the truth is they all work .
I am unsure why some people feel their choice is the only valid one.
The LCT in my opinion is Lees best press and is rather unique in its combination of features and a good fit for what you say you want to do , but there are many good choices , I think you would also like having your old press mounted it just handy to have more than 1 no matter what you might add in the future .
What ever you choose give us a review after you have loaded on it , or if we can help with setup or operating .
Have fun and make some ammo.:guntootsmiley:

Three44s
07-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Kev18,

I agree with your frustration about screwing dies in and out. A turret press or a single stage with either the Lee breech lock or hornady’s lock and load system installed are remedies. The Forester coax as well.

Progressives get at that problem but upon caliber change there is likely some adjustment period before you are back up and running.

Something that has not been pointed out yet is that any single stage such as my Redding Boss has a bushing installed that can be removed and Lee and Hornady make and sell their conversion bushing that changes that press into a breech lock or lock and load press. I believe the RCBS Rock chucker also has such a bushing you can remove and thus convert.

Three44s

Three44s
07-28-2019, 09:21 PM
An aside: Natchez shooting supplies has the Lee LCT for $113 in stock but there is also a 10% coupon good for purchases over $99 that looks to be good until 12 midnight tonight eastern time.

Just thought the Op might want to know about that.

Enjoy

Three44s

richhodg66
07-28-2019, 09:24 PM
You guys almost have me convinced to buy a Lee Classic Turret. I recently bought a nice Lyman All American turret press, it'll be my first time using a turret. If I like it, I may have to look into a Lee.

Kev18
07-28-2019, 10:45 PM
What do you guys do with multiple presses?
one for each stage?

One for each caliber?

You people have solid setups it sounds like!

And unrelated: What do you guys use as a mat on the bench for cleaning or resting a rifle on. I bought 2 hoppes green mats but they are pretty much just cheap felt and are already falling apart leaving green fluff on guns and tools...

onelight
07-28-2019, 11:51 PM
You can use the single stage for any thing from bullet sizing as a dedicated depriming with a universal depriming die to fully loaded rounds it makes less since to have it with the LCT because of the quick change turrets and its has one of the better depriming setups . That light press on a portable stand is also nice to take to the range when working up loads , I have 2 single stage presses that get rare use but they won’t bring much used and I am glad I have them.
I have also given a couple away to guys getting started.

Three44s
07-29-2019, 12:44 AM
one for each stage?

One for each caliber?

And unrelated: What do you guys use as a mat on the bench for cleaning or resting a rifle on. I bought 2 hoppes green mats but they are pretty much just cheap felt and are already falling apart leaving green fluff on guns and tools...

I have set all my presses and other tools one would normally bolt down permanently up on wood or steel bases and c clamp them onto the bench when I want to use them.

On steel I mount the press on a piece of channel iron by bolting it to the flush side of the web and weld the channel open side face down on a steel plate of sufficient thickness and size then clamp that plate down. The open space between the channel and the flat plate is where the nuts go to hold the press onto it’s constructed base.

For sometime I have been relying on my Redding Boss for just about all my loading as my thoughts have all been towards more precise rifle work. Even my LCT and LNL progressive are retired at the present.

Three44s

Kev18
07-29-2019, 09:28 AM
I dont even know if I make enough rounds to need 2 presses. Hopefully sometime soon il finish my little log cabin in the woods. One day I want to add a little table and add a small press to it!

onelight
07-29-2019, 10:25 AM
I dont even know if I make enough rounds to need 2 presses. Hopefully sometime soon il finish my little log cabin in the woods. One day I want to add a little table and add a small press to it!
The sound of that is enough to generate LUST in an old Baptist :oops:

kmw1954
07-29-2019, 11:07 AM
Kev18 regardless of whether you obtain another press to use of not I hope your original questions have been answered, that you've gained a little more insight into the different type presses and have seen 1st hand how these press discussions progress. They most usually digress this way.

I try very hard not to make recommendations as to which press to buy because for me which press you buy is as personal as the firearms you own. I am a firm believer that what works for me most likely will not work for anyone else. And the way you reload will not fit with the way I reload. All I can do is relate what I have and how I use it. If anyone wants to adopt it that is fine by me.

If you decide to stay with what you have then that is what's right for you. Just the same if you decide to move on to something else. That is part of the beauty of it, we are not tied to one press or one way to do this.

Kev18
07-29-2019, 02:23 PM
The sound of that is enough to generate LUST in an old Baptist :oops:

Nothing much: 10x10... Im not even working on it alot because its hotter than hell outside. And im alone, plus theres bugs. ALOT OF BUGS!

https://i.imgur.com/XundPE7.jpg

Kev18
07-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Kev18 regardless of whether you obtain another press to use of not I hope your original questions have been answered, that you've gained a little more insight into the different type presses and have seen 1st hand how these press discussions progress. They most usually digress this way.

I try very hard not to make recommendations as to which press to buy because for me which press you buy is as personal as the firearms you own. I am a firm believer that what works for me most likely will not work for anyone else. And the way you reload will not fit with the way I reload. All I can do is relate what I have and how I use it. If anyone wants to adopt it that is fine by me.

If you decide to stay with what you have then that is what's right for you. Just the same if you decide to move on to something else. That is part of the beauty of it, we are not tied to one press or one way to do this.

Very true, not tied to anything! :) Alot of useful info here.

Kev18
07-30-2019, 05:19 PM
I went to the store today JUST to buy round balls... Well my choice has been made.
https://i.imgur.com/btXgIXr.jpg

onelight
07-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Congratulations I hope you enjoy loading on it.:awesome:

Kev18
07-30-2019, 05:55 PM
I just slapped a round together and just by running the press once, I can see that its alot more sturdy. And I only mounted it temporarily. The ram is massive

onelight
07-30-2019, 06:17 PM
The sturdy part is good , what I learned to like are the way it contains spent primers the safety prime I think I have had all the primer versions this newest version operates the smoothest.
and best part , those inexpensive turrets once you get your dies setup and adjusted if using the same components a caliber change takes seconds.

jmort
07-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Nice score
Love mine

Kev18
07-30-2019, 07:11 PM
I Just did 20 rounds . It was nice! The ram rubs on the frame alittle bit but it'll buff out soon enough! I might use my Single stage as a depriming press. Il get a universal decapper.

onelight
07-30-2019, 07:24 PM
Give her a little lube on the ram and pivot points and check the adjustment on the pivot bolts mine came a little loose. I wipe the index rod with STP synthetic cause I have some but I have started using the Hornady one shot gun cleaner and lube it dries to a nice waxy lube and penetrates well I use on the turret also with a little time to dry is not sticky but probably as many choices that work as this forum has members .:-)

Three44s
07-30-2019, 09:08 PM
A grand choice!

Enjoy

Three44s

kmw1954
07-31-2019, 01:46 AM
Well done, Should serve you nicely for what you are doing and it will last.

6bg6ga
07-31-2019, 09:08 AM
You sir are a joke. There are no baby steps involved here and neither is there patience or intelligence. You have made it perfectly clear by your comments that there in no reason for any other press than a Dillon. You have pointed that out in every topic where this has come up, not just this one. You refuse to accept that not everyone that reloads and uses a reloading press needs a multi-function progressive reloading press yet you keep preaching the same sermon.

Then you come here and offer such a condescending comment insulting everyone that disagrees with you I find silly and disparaging.

Over the last 50 years or so I have watched people buy single stage presses only to buy a turret or progressive within 6 months or so. You seem to think there is no intelligence needed to reload. I'll tell that to the guy that blew up his 40 caliber simply because he didn't have enough crimp on the bullet the bullet went further back into the case causing extreme pressure and his gun blew up. I'll also tell it to the Linn County Sheriffs department that had the same problem and has since banned reloads for their 40 caliber carry guns. I'll also pass that along to anyone that has accidentally double charged a round and had the misfortune to blow up their gun.

I seem to make a comment and you come trolling by. You don't like it but you need to come to the realization that my opinions will be posted on this forum whether or not they meet your approval. I stated and I will stand by MY opinion that single stage presses are a waste of time and money this is MY opinion which I have a right to post. You can either ignore it or agree with it and I don't care which. My opinion is that people should consider an alternate to a single stage press in most situations simply because most purchasers will in fact upgrade to either a turret or progressive press simply because now they have become familiar with the concept of reloading and now feel comfortable reloading. Sure there are situations where single stage presses have a place. I happen to keep a Lyman-T- Mag around simply to reload 308's and 22-250's simply because I don't want to reload them on my 650.

You stated above there is no intelligence needed to reload and I just gave an example. You also stated there is no patience needed either and to that I will also disagree and state that I have watched hundreds of rounds be dismantled simply because the load wasn't right, the length wasn't correct or possibly functional. Mistakes like these do happen simply because someone gets impatient gets in a hurry and then as a result makes mistakes some of which can be deadly and or very costly.

Now, you seem to like single stage presses and you seem to believe that they are the only means in which to start reloading. I on the other hand favor turrets and progressives. We both have our opinions and my suggestion is if have a problem with what I post then send me an email or IM instead of hiding behind an internet post.

One final thing that I'm sure you won't like and its my opinion again..... anything that can be learned on a single stage press can be learned on a turret or progressive. View each station as its own entity. You will setup each station as if it is the only one in consideration just like you would a single stage press and you can run that turret or progressive with the same precision as the single stage press. I have taught a number of people to reload, people that before I sat them down and schooled them were ready to go out and purchase single stage presses simply because they had been taught that a single stage press IS THE ONLY way to learn reloading. The people I schooled went out and purchased progressive presses and went on to reload with the confidence that I had given them. The money they saved in the process went toward more equipment. Sure, there are exceptions to everything but ruling out a turret or progressive from the start is questionable in my mind yet I can respect it.

6bg6ga
07-31-2019, 09:27 AM
My opinion here again..

One of the nice things about progressive or turret presses IS the ability to run single operations. Many times I have run single operations on the 550 and 650 presses. Sometimes I have setup the 650 to FL resize, prime and bell and then eject and finish up on the turret with an exotic load that I don't want to run completely thru the 650.246038246039246040

My point to those considering a first purchase is why not consider a 550, 650, or turret over a single stage press to save yourself some money ? Any of these presses can be run with a single die to start with when your first starting off and need to build some confidence reloading.

Please disregard the messy reloading table as I just move and just started putting stuff back together on the table.

6bg6ga
07-31-2019, 09:29 AM
I favor the 550 for those just starting out.

Kev18
07-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Im not sure about a progressive but I can see how a turret might be good for a beginner. Its a single stage just with all the dies ready at hand.

onelight
07-31-2019, 03:38 PM
Im not sure about a progressive but I can see how a turret might be good for a beginner. Its a single stage just with all the dies ready at hand.
I agree and it can be run as a single stage. I have 3 presses set up on stands ready to use a single stage ,the LCT , and the ABLP progressive , the single stage is used the least but I like it for a few things , LCT is the most versatile for the way I load 13 different cartridges frequently another 10 I think , occasionally .
9 ,40 ,45 acp and 38 shoot most and use the ABLP it works well and if you are set up for the LCT is really cheap way to go since they can share the many of the same accessories its slow for a progressive but will easily do 2 to 400 an hour at a casual pace it is a cheaper built press than the LCT so time will tell how it holds up , I've lost count but am probably over 6k on it.

I am one that thinks a progressive is a poor choice for most beginners , it is multi tasking with stuff that can hurt you. For me progressives are more like work than an enjoyable part of shooting like a single stage and the turrets , when running smooth no problem but if the sequence is interrupted there is a big chance of a squib or double powder charge.

Three44s
08-01-2019, 01:30 AM
I also am of the opinion that beginners should start on a single stage or at the most, a turret press.

Three44s

kmw1954
08-01-2019, 09:54 AM
What I think is appropriate is irrelevant because it is not me in that position and I cannot know someone else's skill sets or intelligence. I on one hand have a very mechanical background and mindset. I have spent many years working on high speed automated production equipment that is much more complicated than these reloading presses. Therefore I have little difficulties picking up the workings and timing of a progressive press. I am not alone in these abilities and I know plenty of guys that are even better at this than I am. But I am also intelligent enough to know that not everyone is of this same skillset level.

Though once again as I tried pointing out previously not everyone that steps up to a reloading bench needs, wants or desires a Progressive press. All those that think otherwise are dishonest and closed minded. This has nothing to do with intelligence, skill, understanding or even budget. I believe the Dillon 650 and 1050 are exceptional tools but I would never buy one because it is way beyond the needs of my reloading volumes. At the same time I have a single stage press that sits under the bench and hasn't been touched in over a year.

I will leave my opinion at this, are some people capable of learning on a progressive press? YES. Is it wise that most people start with a single stage press? YES. Is it also true that some people should never be allowed near a reloading press? ABSOLUTELY!

onelight
08-01-2019, 10:13 AM
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Steve E
08-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Pretty much most presses are adequate for reloading with some being better than others and some do things better than others with the exception of the Smart Reloader Presses sold a few years ago which were not very well made products and doubtful the ones that were 'ok' would last long. I currently have a Lee Challenger, Lee Classic Cast press and a Hornady LNL AP press which I really like. I still have my first press which is a Lee Hand Press I bought back in the late 70's.

Steve.......

1hole
08-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Your selection of the Classic Cast Turrent is wise. I can be used as a single stage by disabling the auto-indexing feature or use it as a much faster press by using the auto feature. Few reloaders ever need a progressive and even fewer ever need anything faster than what you now have.

I greatly dislike the currently popular "quick insert" gadgets. IF I wanted to make faster die changes I'd far prefer to use your Lee CCT's excellent rapid swap turrets with dies preloaded and adjusted. Your turret exchange can be done in seconds and without tools and without buying sleeves for every die; for those of us with a lot of die sets those things can quickly amount to some significant money!

onelight
08-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Another bonus with the LCT in my experience the press mounted powder measures are very consistent on them the charges with the pro auto-disk meter better than any thing short of trickling than any of my other measures . Even with difficult to meter powder like red dot the movement off the measure through the 4 lever cycles settles the powder consistently.
If not kept lubed the disk can stick and give a light charge so you keep your eye on it at the charge station. I have the habit when finishing a session to give the external moving parts a light shot of Hornady one shot, if I change the disk a little graphite powder where it slides.
The disk will meter slightly more powder on the turret than a progressive or single stage.
I have extra disks so if I can’t get a charge I like I can fine tune one with this reamer.

David2011
08-03-2019, 03:52 PM
. I only wanted a new press for more ease with the damn dies. Always fumbling everywhere, changing them out, and whether you want it or not they get messed up with the adjustments and all...

Congratulations on your decision to get the Classic Turret Press. Too late now; I was going to suggest a press that would let you use the quick change adapters whether Lee or Hornady. I have all of my commonly used dies and other tools equipped with the Hornady bushings and it literally takes 2-3 seconds to swap dies while maintaining the adjustment. You can set up turrets with your specialty tools like a collet bullet puller, universal decapping tool and the like.

As I stated in my previous post, I think a beginner should start with a single stage press. It teaches you what each step is. And teaches you safety. What not to do or what to look for.

I also am of the opinion that beginners should start on a single stage or at the most, a turret press.
Three44s

Even though I've been loading on progressives for 28 years I find a single stage indispensable for correcting mistakes, working up loads and for those cartridges that I only load in smaller batches like .44 Mag and my hunting rifle loads.

one for each stage?

One for each caliber?

I have a clear vinyl floor runner on my gunsmithing bench to protect the bench and firearms, stapled to the bench around the edges.

Multiple presses:

Single stage: Depends. My bench is set up with three positions and any single stage tool can be mounted at any of the positions. Sometimes I size and decap rifle cases on a press at position 1, charge the case at position 2 and seat the bullet on another press at position 3. Sometimes I pull bullets on one press, dump the powder, recharge the case and reseat the bullet on another press. With the flexibility of all of my presses, powder measures, swage, Forster trimmer and bench priming tool being on plates with the same bolt pattern I constantly reconfigure the whole single stage bench to suit whatever needs to be done. Sometimes a friend comes by needing to do something I don't typically do myself do it's easy to set up the bench accordingly.

Progressives: I mostly load .40 S&W and .223 on my 650 and can load many cartridges on the 550. A single caliber conversion that fits the .30-'06 casehead can load a bunch of different cartridges just bu changing toolheads.

glaciers
08-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Kev18,
I just wanted show you a powder stand idea for the LCT press I got from Ben.
A powder stand which allows use of any brand powder dispenser. Great idea, not real happy with the LEE press dispenser, but being able to use a Little Dandy, Lyman 55, or Uni-Flo makes a big difference.

Yeah, the LEE pro auto disk powder dispenser looked like it missed the KISS principle completely. I took it out of the box and look it over and promptly put it back in the box where it remains. I had been removing the cases and filling them, then back to the press. The priming system on mine works great, so with the "Ben" mount, reloading life became simple. Back to KISS.

Dan Cash
08-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Some brands are an unfinished project as received. Some are good while others are superlative. Pick your poison but if you are too ham handed to make simple adjustments and too illiterate to read and follow instructions, then get the most simple press on the market and don't bash the others. Know thy self.

David2011
08-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Everyone is arguing about the presses! Honestly I dont own any calibers that would fit in there. I have the lee manual on my lap right now and they say the biggest caliber that fits in there is a .223! I dont reload anything that small. A turret would be good for me... It would be nice to just poop out 100 rounds in 5 minutes but I dont even have any "simple cartridges" all odd ball stuff. Maybe except .44 mag. I only wanted a new press for more ease with the damn dies. Always fumbling everywhere, changing them out, and whether you want it or not they get messed up with the adjustments and all...

The Hornady LnL bushings were a very nice solution for me. I felt the same way about messing with dies.

Couldn't agree more. They're also nice to have for fixing mistakes or salvaging brass.

one for each stage?

One for each caliber?

I have 3 RCBS single stage presses. One mostly sits off the bench unused. The Rock Chucker is the mainstay of my single stage bench. I bought Summit but have not fully explored using it yet. So far it has mostly been used for seating rifle bullets after sizing the cases on the RC. Bought it because Cabela's never seemed to have what I wanted and I had a bunch of their credit card points saved up that paid for it completely. It's a red/white/blue one and just looks cool sitting on the bench. Worst reason ever to have a press taking up space? I have 2 progressives. The 650 loads primarily .40 and some .223. The 550 loads most of my pistol rounds and .30-'06 for the Garand.

Kev18,
A powder stand which allows use of any brand powder dispenser. Great idea, not real happy with the LEE press dispenser, but being able to use a Little Dandy, Lyman 55, or Uni-Flo makes a big difference.

Yeah, the LEE pro auto disk powder dispenser looked like it missed the KISS principle completely. I took it out of the box and look it over and promptly put it back in the box where it remains. I had been removing the cases and filling them, then back to the press. The priming system on mine works great, so with the "Ben" mount, reloading life became simple. Back to KISS.

That is brilliant. Does the die serve any function other than as a fastener? My powder measure like that doesn't have threads in the bore.

Kev18
08-11-2019, 08:14 PM
The lee powder dispensers are bad. They leak everywhere. Powder falls out the mechanism.

onelight
08-11-2019, 09:03 PM
The lee powder dispensers are bad. They leak everywhere. Powder falls out the mechanism.
I wound up with a perfect powder measure the one that is all plastic don't remember where I got it . It was a mess to use.
I like the auto disk pro I now have 3 ,and the auto drum I have 1. For press mount.
The auto disk pro is much better than the base auto disk.
For bench mount the Lyman 55 is my favorite .

Kev18
08-11-2019, 10:19 PM
I wound up with a perfect powder measure the one that is all plastic don't remember where I got it . It was a mess to use.
I like the auto disk pro I now have 3 ,and the auto drum I have 1. For press mount.
The auto disk pro is much better than the base auto disk.
For bench mount the Lyman 55 is my favorite .

I have the plastic one... Not great. One day maybe il get those expensive automatic dispensers.

kmw1954
08-11-2019, 11:25 PM
Kev18 I believe you need one of these, especially if you have the old model Auto Disk with the small rectangle hopper. It will truly make a difference. https://leeprecision.com/pro-auto-disk-update-kit.html

Otherwise if interested I can PM you and explain how to modify the one you have with only a pc. of emery cloth.

Kenstone
08-12-2019, 12:20 AM
Kev18,

I'm with you on the auto disk wrap-around return spring you are forced to use on a turret, that and that chain thingy that supposed to shuttle the disc back under the hopper isn't much better.
I use the chain lever and a spring attached to the adjoining die for smooth and trouble free operation of the Lee Auto Disc Pro.
An added bonus of this setup is the spring is easily disconnected to throw a single (or 10) to confirm the charge weight.
here's a pic:

onelight
08-12-2019, 02:40 AM
Good idea Kenstone ,
I don't use the chain either .

Kev18
08-12-2019, 05:34 PM
The ones that attach to the turret press look nice but I dont have alot of lee dies. Mostly Rcbs for the odd ball rounds.

Kenstone
08-12-2019, 09:18 PM
The ones that attach to the turret press look nice but I dont have alot of lee dies. Mostly Rcbs for the odd ball rounds.
Well, you can buy the Lee Powder Thru Expander dies separately for less than $12 each.
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-pistol-reloading-dies/lee-pistol-powder-thru-expanding-die
But you'd still need an Auto Disc Pro PM to get the benefit from that die, if you don't already have one.
Then you could rig it like have it, except on your new turret, mine's on a Piggyback.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?385580-What-s-the-difference-between-different-brands-of-presses&p=4705580&viewfull=1#post4705580
:|

kmw1954
08-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Or you can also check out this powder stand. at the beginning of the video and then again at about 16:20 He makes them for all the Lee presses. If I had an RCBS or Lyman 55 measure I would look this way. Or if I was doing a lot of stick powder.

44magLeo
08-21-2019, 11:45 PM
I've read most of this thread. My opinion on the question is the color.
Each press out there was designed by a team that has specific ideas on what a press should do. No two teams came up with the same list of what the press should do.
I don't believe any press out there is made of cheap junk. People that believe that tend to be tool snobs.
I learned from a friend while in the service back in 78. He had a CH C press. I bought a set of RCBS 44 Spec/Mag dies.
I didn't like the way he did some things. So I went shopping and got a Rock Chucker press, a Lyman scale and 55 measure and a Lyman Manual. And started with what he taught me and what the book taught me and started making very good ammo.
I loaded for a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag while living in the barracks. Bought the loading tools shortly after I moved off base.
I started casting shortly after that when a friend started cast fishing jigs. Bought a Lee pot with the 4 inch riser. Much better than using my cast iron fry pan.
I added a Lee hand primer after a few years. Didn't really like primers in tubes.
Since then I have used a Lyman Tru Line JR. Lee's C press and the Challenger.
I use Lyman 310 tools as well. I even have a couple Lee whack a mole kits. I have one of the Lee hand presses.
As far as a press needing some fiddling to get to work, is it the press that needs the tuning or the operator?
I have known a lot of people that they know more about what a tool should do and how they work than the people the designed and built the tools.
When these people can't seem to get it to work they blame the tool, when reading the directions thouroughly.
It doesn't matter the color, you can't just pull the press out of the box and load at max speed. You need to understand the way it works and how to operate it.
In some cases I have read the instructions and pointed out the error of their ways but they still think they are right.
I just go on my way. Let them curse it as junk and buy something else. It's there money.
I like the Challenger press for the way it handles spent primers. I like the excessive strength of the R/C.
I like the ease of use the Lee C press. The lee hand press handle spent primers ok but doesn't hold many.
I have had the presses on the bench to use in a progressive fashion.
Size and decap one #1. Clean brass. Hand prime with Lee's Bench primer. Charge with a Lyman 55. Seat on the next press.
With straight wall case I expend between size/decap and clean. If I want to crimp I have that In another press.
So do as you wish. I like my set up. I'm sure you like yours.
Leo