PDA

View Full Version : Primer Catcher Upgrade

richhodg66
07-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Can't post ebay links on here, but there is a seller who goes by tlwatches, who makes an upgrade primer catcher that catches the spent primers as soon as they exit the ram and diverts them to a receptacle via a plastic tube, kinda like the Forster Co-ax does. He makes them on a 3D printer and has designs for several different presses including some that are discontinued.

Anybody tried one of these? I'm in the process of getting an old Lachmiller 100 going again and the spent primer cup is long gone, figured one of these might be a good thing.

Minerat
07-24-2019, 11:46 PM
Big Tom is a vendor sponsor here and makes a great product. Why don't you contact him to see if he can help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?287-Primercatcher

Walks
07-25-2019, 12:43 AM
I bought one off fleabay 3yrs ago for my Old Rockchucker, fitted with a "Case Kicker".
It fits in the back and I had to cut a notch in the "Kicker" to fit the left "leg". The hose fits on the right hand side for primer "ejection".
I also had to turn the ram around to face backwards so the primers will fall into the tube.

Most of the others on fleabay fit in the front and "eject" to the left.
They block your view and your access to the press from the side you need to use.

With this style, it's fumble around with a case that you can't see going in/out of the press. You supply your own hose and receptacle.

I'd rather sweep up primers then fumble a case full of powder and a bullet.
It really slows you down.

jmorris
07-25-2019, 09:30 AM
I printed one for my rock chucker, thingiverse.com had the files, there’s lots of free stuff there.

LenH
07-25-2019, 01:36 PM
I bought one for an old Lyman Spartan press that fits up front where the primer arm is supposed to be and it works good. I got some 1/2" plastic tubing and drilled a hole
in a plastic nut jar and the spent primers fall in this jar. The only drawback is that it is a bit tall and I have to feed .308 Win. brass from the side but it is cleaner than trying to
catch primers before they hit the floor.

kir_kenix
07-26-2019, 07:28 PM
I bought one for a hornady single stage. It cracked pretty much immediately after trying it. I gorilla glued it back together and to the press. It works ok now. Not bad for $7 I guess.

With as inexpensive as they are...I'd give it a shot.

nun2kute
07-26-2019, 07:55 PM
I really hate finding spent primers with bare feet, for 7 bucks I think it'd be worth it.

richhodg66
07-26-2019, 09:45 PM
I bought one for an old Lyman Spartan press that fits up front where the primer arm is supposed to be and it works good. I got some 1/2" plastic tubing and drilled a hole
in a plastic nut jar and the spent primers fall in this jar. The only drawback is that it is a bit tall and I have to feed .308 Win. brass from the side but it is cleaner than trying to
catch primers before they hit the floor.

The Lyman one looks very similar to the ones for Pacific presses. Besides the Lachmiller, which he doesn't make one for, I have a very old Pacific C press that I plan to set up on a Harbor Freight grinder stand for use inside the house. Kind of hoping one of these will work on that press.

Cheeto303
07-26-2019, 10:00 PM
I bought one off fleabay that goes into the base of the LEE small C frame press. This press has a LEE universal decapping die installed and that is it's sole purpose. I had to drill a hole thru my bench for the spent primer tube.The tube runs into a 5 gallon pail under my bench. I love this setup. Works great.

David2011
07-28-2019, 03:30 AM
I really hate finding spent primers with bare feet, for 7 bucks I think it'd be worth it.

Since I quit going barefoot for the most part at least 30 years ago and maybe 40, I couldn't agree more. The footsies are not hardened like they used to be. I don't seem to have problems finding things with my knees, though. After a total knee replacement that's not good at all. I have to get some spent primer control solutions going.