PDA

View Full Version : Need mold for 32 Win Spec

dragonrider
10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Got any recomendations?

beagle
10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I've been really happy with my RCBS 32-170-FN. Shoots and feeds good and I don't think I could ask for better./beagle

IcerUSA
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Look at Ranch Dogs also .

Keith

sundog
10-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Beagle has it right, that is up until now, maybe. For years the standard was the RCBS 32-170-FN, and it's a good boolit.

Ranch Dog's site is not working right now, but as soon as it is, you will see some material on his 32-170-FN. I have on of the test molds and a couple folks other than me have some boolits. After lee-menting the mold it really started making some better boolits than the first batch, much better. Intitial testing with the RD boolits indicates good accuracy, but I have not had time yet to shoor it against the RCBS to tell for sure. RD has already taken a hog with his now boolit.

If all things are equal in accuracy and game taking ability then the RD mold would be a very inexpensive way to get a 32 Win Spl running. Here's the rub, and this is my opinion, Lee molds need to be lee-mented. If you are not able or willing to do that then they just don't work right.

Pretty amazing for me to say that since I like RCBS moulds. Really well. Did I ever mention that? In fact, I like the RD 32-170-FN test mold so well, that I went ahead and bought one of his end of stock blems 311-165-FN. Again, it had to be lee-mented, but with proper care and feeding it will last a lifetime.

Dragon-rider, you'll have to ask RD, but if that 32 mold goes into production it might 6 months or more until it's available.

IcerUSA
10-30-2008, 08:13 AM
OH , check out the Lyman 319XXX also , it's a PB FN Loveren type boolit , shoots OK for reduced loads , I have one of the GB32's also I think w/GC base on it , haven't tried it yet but will next summer .
Too many rifles , too many boolits , and not enough time to play with them all ...gezzzz

Keith

prs
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
I have the same RCBS mold for the turdy-too and it shoots very well and feeds slick.

prs

sundog
10-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Best of my recollection the GB 32/8mm's, GC and PB, do not have crimp grooves. If you have enough neck tension that might be okay to prevent setback. If memory serves me they did not shoot any better than anything else in the 32 WS. Must not have been all that spectacular in the 32, because all I've been using up until the RD boolit was the RCBS.

compass will
10-30-2008, 02:04 PM
What you shooting it out of?

sundog
10-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Will, who me? Mine is a M94 with Lyman tang and front post (no bead - I do not like beads).

compass will
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
No, dragonrider. I just wanted to show him what we learned in my old marlin; that .323" don't fit in some guns!

PS: Will be getting back to that bater mold test soon. Just got the scope back.

Leadforbrains
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
I went with the advce that I got from everyone here and went with The RCBS .32-170-FN. It shoots great. I sized to .321 and lubed with JPW. I took a whitetail doe with it a couple of weeks ago.

dragonrider
10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Marlin 336C, Picked up at a gun show last Saturday. I have yet to slug the bore, but first have to scrub the bore, don't know what is in it if anything but I want every spec of copper, if any, out before I shoot it. I will look for the RCBS mold and I will contact RD as soon as I can. Thanks