PDA

View Full Version : First shots with my new Shiloh

ian45662
07-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Got my Shiloh in a month or so ago. Finally got a chance to put on paper at 200. Very happy so far. Maybe the easiest load development I have ever done. This is a 45/70 with a 16 twist barrel. A 1.51” elliptical bullet that weighs 536 grains when cast from 14:1. 84 grains of Swiss 1.5. Cases were stretched and trimmed to a length of 2.110” long. Federal large pistol match primer with over primer wad. We have a 5 and a 10 shot group. . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190724/9f202b39bf14d0fb0fcc863df7359777.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190724/1b2e42e91918e32042d8feefe8cde837.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190724/a1fa7600f3497c88dc6eea99efe552ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunlaker
07-24-2019, 03:27 PM
That is excellent Ian!

Chris.

Winger Ed.
07-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Way cool!

I like to see people get what they want.

smithnframe
07-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Very nice!

pworley1
07-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Very nice!

Thunder1964
07-24-2019, 08:24 PM
That's some fine work.

MrWolf
07-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Great job and looks interesting.

Bent Ramrod
07-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Great shooting! And loading, too, of course.

Do you have the regular chamber or the paper-patch only?

Michael J. Spangler
07-24-2019, 11:08 PM
I’m jealous.
Great shooting!

Bent Ramrod can you explain the difference in the regular vs PP chambers please?

ian45662
07-25-2019, 06:00 AM
I was extremely excited looking through the spotting scope. My wife was with me and she thought something was wrong. [emoji23]. This is the standard chamber that Shiloh offers.

rfd
07-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Most Excellent! 245795

Bent Ramrod
07-25-2019, 08:58 PM
The regular chamber fits grease-groove diameter (or larger) boolits loaded into sized and neck-expanded shells in the normal manner. When the round is fired, the shell mouth has room to expand and release the boolit into the leade and then down the barrel. Paper-patched loads can be fired in such chambers, but generally some sort of mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out of the shell.

A paper-patch chamber allows for a mechanical fit of full-length sized shells, necks not expanded, with bore-diameter paper-patched boolits inserted 1/8” or so in the mouths of the shells. Most of the boolit rests on the rifling lands, with little or no leade ahead of the chamber, and no room for shell mouth expansion. The shell does not need resizing after firing, and the boolit can be inserted in the shell with the fingers on reloading. Ideally, the fit will be such that no mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out with normal handling. However, such a chamber will not allow chambering of grease-groove ammunition.

Theoretically, it would be easier to work up a paper-patch load in a paper-patch chamber, but as ian45662 has demonstrated, the regular chamber does fine.

riflecountry
07-25-2019, 09:00 PM
What cartridge box is that? Awesome groups for 200!

Traffer
07-25-2019, 09:08 PM
That is what my targets look like at 50 yards ...If I'm having a good day!

Traffer
07-25-2019, 09:13 PM
What would be a typical diameter of a pre patched boolit for a 45/70?

ian45662
07-25-2019, 09:25 PM
The ammo box was made from a fella named woody. You can get them from the Shiloh website. My bullets are .445 before patching. My highwall really likes these bullets. Looks like this Shiloh will also. I think my cpa does also but I am still working out the bugs on it a little. After the last match though I think we have it figured out. Need to shoot another match and make sure but I am pretty anxious to try this Shiloh now.

Michael J. Spangler
07-25-2019, 09:32 PM
The regular chamber fits grease-groove diameter (or larger) boolits loaded into sized and neck-expanded shells in the normal manner. When the round is fired, the shell mouth has room to expand and release the boolit into the leade and then down the barrel. Paper-patched loads can be fired in such chambers, but generally some sort of mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out of the shell.

A paper-patch chamber allows for a mechanical fit of full-length sized shells, necks not expanded, with bore-diameter paper-patched boolits inserted 1/8” or so in the mouths of the shells. Most of the boolit rests on the rifling lands, with little or no leade ahead of the chamber, and no room for shell mouth expansion. The shell does not need resizing after firing, and the boolit can be inserted in the shell with the fingers on reloading. Ideally, the fit will be such that no mouth reduction is necessary to keep the boolit from falling out with normal handling. However, such a chamber will not allow chambering of grease-groove ammunition.

Theoretically, it would be easier to work up a paper-patch load in a paper-patch chamber, but as ian45662 has demonstrated, the regular chamber does fine.

Great explanation sir! Thank you!

Chill Wills
07-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Those are smoking good first groups! It will be a good rifle as in my experience, rifles that shoot well from the start are not fussy.
Makes me smile!

Yup, I saw that Woody box in that first picture. Woody has been my shooting partner since 2000. He is a good man and everyone deserves one of his nice cartridge boxes.

ian45662
07-26-2019, 05:22 PM
Chill wills do you shoot with him at friendship Indiana?

Chill Wills
07-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Chill wills do you shoot with him at friendship Indiana?

No. We lived in adjoining counties (Eagle and Routt) in Western Colorado and shot the matches in Rifle, Colorado and east of Denver at the Golden Gun Club before he moved to his current address. I saw him two weeks earlier this month at the Whittington Center championship matches. We have continued to shoot together at least once a year at the national matches and sometimes at other locations too. We were paired up in 2009 when I won the NRA National Creedmoor Championship. He is a good friend and all round good guy.
It sounds like you shoot matches at Friendship, a place I hope to go - maybe next year.

Michael Rix

ian45662
07-26-2019, 10:06 PM
Woody is a hellova fella.

Deadeye Bly
07-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Woody makes excellent range boxes and line boxes for shooters. His workmanship is great and he supports regional shoots with donation of his products. I have one of his large shooting boxes that I won at his trapdoor challenge in GA several years ago.

I called Woody several years ago when I discovered 30,000lbs of lead radiation bricks at a salvage yard in IN. He had told me that he was having difficulty buying scrap lead because the scrap yards would not sell to individuals. I bought 6,000 lbs. of the lead and Woody with his connections was responsible for getting probably more than 10,000 additional lbs of the lead into shooters hands. Together we got more than half of the lead sold for the scrap yard and put to good use with BPCR shooters.

Gunlaker
07-27-2019, 10:36 AM
What would be a typical diameter of a pre patched boolit for a 45/70?

I use bullets from 0.443" to 0.446" depending on bore diameter and paper thickness.

Chris.

Chill Wills
07-27-2019, 02:55 PM
John, I was able to get in on some of that brick lead too - good clean Pb. So, you were the connection!:bigsmyl2:

ian45662 - sorry I got excited and hijacked your thread.

Your rifle and first very accurate loads were the topic and I did not mean to detour and make less of it.
You clearly have been down the PP bullet road with other rifles to be that good from the get-go!

I have shot PP bullets a lot, mostly in Creedmoor matches, but I have never exceeded my ability with GG bullets to put my shots in the middle, so I have for the most part stuck with the GG.

Shoot some more good targets and post them.

-CW

Traffer
07-27-2019, 06:38 PM
John, I was able to get in on some of that brick lead too - good clean Pb. So, you were the connection!:bigsmyl2:

ian45662 - sorry I got excited and hijacked your thread.

Your rifle and first very accurate loads were the topic and I did not mean to detour and make less of it.
You clearly have been down the PP bullet road with other rifles to be that good from the get-go!

I have shot PP bullets a lot, mostly in Creedmoor matches, but I have never exceeded my ability with GG bullets to put my shots in the middle, so I have for the most part stuck with the GG.

Shoot some more good targets and post them.

-CW

You guys really should make some videos of your shooting. I am stuck in the house and love to watch good shooting.

ian45662
07-28-2019, 07:51 AM
Hey buddy no need to apologize for anything. I don’t mind. I am a silhouette shooter mostly. I have only shot one Creedmoor type match. That was back in March at oak ridge. Since I started using paper patch for silhouette my scores have gone up but this year I have struggled a little bit. Hopefully I can turn things around and before the season ends. If not then oh well. There is always next season. It’s fun anyways. Always nice to see people like woody and deadeye Bly

Chill Wills
07-29-2019, 05:28 PM
You guys really should make some videos of your shooting. I am stuck in the house and love to watch good shooting.

I would make some videos and it is a really good way to promote the BPCR shooting sports - BUT, I do not own anything that would make video recordings. I am stuck in the 1800's and take pictures on glass plates with a black cloth over my head:oops:
I am sorry you are stuck inside. Maybe I will look into getting some kind of affordable video camera as it would be good all round.

Traffer
07-29-2019, 05:51 PM
I would make some videos and it is a really good way to promote the BPCR shooting sports - BUT, I do not own anything that would make video recordings. I am stuck in the 1800's and take pictures on glass plates with a black cloth over my head:oops:
I am sorry you are stuck inside. Maybe I will look into getting some kind of affordable video camera as it would be good all round.

I use old technology also. Got me a Flip Video Ultra (used, they quit making them about 10 years ago) You can get them on eBay for $25 or less. And a cheap tripod and you are ready for videoing the range.

BrentD
07-29-2019, 07:45 PM
I made this video of shooting paper patches at Raton a couple of years ago. It's not very exciting but the purpose was to show what it is like to shoot paper patches in competition - that it is not a big scramble or very difficult if you are organized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7RHS2QB5I

John Boy
07-31-2019, 05:29 PM
Ian - Looks good @ 200yds. Stretch it out to see what longer groups are going to be

swheeler
07-31-2019, 06:18 PM
I'd say you got yourself one fine shootin' iron there, ten shot moa group right out of the gate! Good shooting, nice rifle!

ian45662
07-31-2019, 06:41 PM
A few weeks ago I shot it at some turkey silhouettes. I did this with the same load I shot this 200 yard group with. Once I got the sight setting it kept hitting them. I have high hopes for this one. After that I had a weekend without a shoot so I took what rounds I had left and shot this group.

swheeler
07-31-2019, 06:51 PM
I'd say it's a good load for sure and for certain, hope you can improve on it but I almost doubt it, and that's a good thing, nothing but respect and praise.

Dale53
08-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Ian;
Excellent shooting and reloading! Dern fine work, for sure!!!

Keep on shootin',
Dale53

Lead pot
08-01-2019, 08:49 PM
ian that looks like a winner for sure. The barrel looks like a standard light???
It looks like I better do some practicing before I head to Friendship if your using that rifle :)

ian45662
08-03-2019, 03:01 PM
full heavy barrel. I have not decided which rifle to bring to friendship. It will be either this one or the cpa. That is assuming I don’t have to work.

ian45662
08-03-2019, 03:01 PM
With sights the rifle weighs in right at 12 pounds

rfd
08-03-2019, 03:48 PM
and here i thought the NMLRA/friendship was strictly trad muzzleloaders. :(

Don McDowell
08-03-2019, 04:13 PM
and here i thought the NMLRA/friendship was strictly trad muzzleloaders. :(

They have been holding two day regional type bpcrs matches along with monthly bpcrs and 22 bpcr matches for several years now. It also looks as tho they will be holding a 1000 yard bptr match at Camp Atterbury this Sept, along with some bpcrs matches at the tail end of this falls NMLRA national match.

ian45662
08-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Yes.... they have been doing silhouette matches for some time. Really nice facilities.

rfd
08-03-2019, 04:28 PM
i was being facetious, i know when the NMLRA changed their focus and policies ... and why.

ian45662
08-04-2019, 07:00 AM
I don’t know if their focus has changed but I sure am glad they have some bpcr type shoots along with their other muzzleloading events.

rfd
08-04-2019, 07:24 AM
i'd say that going from 101% trad muzzleloader for many decades to admitting inlines and cartridge guns in early this millennium purty much waters down the NMLRA focus, but not their goals for retaining friendship. this is why the www.TradMA.org was founded in 2005.

ian45662
08-04-2019, 09:14 AM
I’m glad they have opened more opportunities for shooting. More black powder shooting is always a good think imo. I may try to get there for the national shoots this fall for some cartridge and muzzleloader shooting. I have never participated in their national shoots but now I may more inclined to do so.