PDA

View Full Version : Glueing sights

Rimfire
07-23-2019, 05:28 PM
I have a Browning model 53 32-20 that I would like to add a receiver to,but do not want to drill and tap it. I have heard some people have epoxied sights with good luck, what would be the best epoxy to use and more importantly will it hurt the blueing.

KCSO
07-23-2019, 05:39 PM
Brownells acra glass with at least a 48 hour cure before using. It will take heat to remove it and solvent to clean off the blue but it will hold.

LAGS
07-23-2019, 07:03 PM
I have often Crazy Glued sights or even Scope Bases. on rifles to try them out and check alignment before drilling and tapping them or soldering them in place.
Several times, I brought them home and did not get around to attaching the sights properly.
I had taken the rifle out shooting a couple of times, and the sights stayed in place for years.
I would not say that Gluing sights in place is any kind of permanent fix, but it will work.

cwlongshot
07-23-2019, 07:16 PM
In my experience it can work fine BUT its still a temp option as a sharp blow will remove them.

CW

Rimfire
07-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the reply s, I'll be gluing the sight on . Can't bring myself to D&T it.

Texas by God
07-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Be sure to glue in some screw heads for looks. I'd use a Williams 5D in case it flew off but it shouldn't. My SIL has a 157 Topper 30-30 with a glued on red dot and it has stayed in place for at least a decade. Stick It!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LAGS
07-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Good ol' Contact Cement will hold really nice on receiver sights.
But when you install the sight, you better be Dead On.
The contact cement wont allow you to shift things around at all.
But some gun cleaning solvents will loosen up contact cement.
But I have found that contact cement wont hurt your bluing.

Ateam
07-24-2019, 06:30 AM
I used a locktite product when sleeveing a barrel once, the locktite creeped thorugh the threads of the front sight (it may have also dripped out the muzzle end onto the sight), but when I went to remove the sight sometime later even a solid wack with a dead blow hammer would not move it. Impressive stuff.

Jeff Michel
07-24-2019, 07:20 AM
IF you can find it, poly-choke rib adhesive. Polychoke ribs were made of aluminum and the adhesive was incredible. If you had to remove the rib later for say a reblue, you removed it by cutting between the barrel and rib with a piece of wire. Glued on many slug gun sights with it as well. Never lost one.

bigdog454
07-24-2019, 11:21 AM
I've used JB weld to fasten rifle open sights to 20 ga shotgun bbl for my son when he was young, it held up for 3 sons deer hunting and a lot of deer. Just remember to remove the bluing where you want to put the sights. Some of the newer bluing seems to be paint and the sights will pull the paint loose when firing slugs.
BD

stubshaft
07-24-2019, 01:10 PM
I've used JB weld to fasten rifle open sights to 20 ga shotgun bbl for my son when he was young, it held up for 3 sons deer hunting and a lot of deer. Just remember to remove the bluing where you want to put the sights. Some of the newer bluing seems to be paint and the sights will pull the paint loose when firing slugs.
BD

JB Weld worked for me too. I cut the barrel down on a Marlin Goose Gun to shoot slugs and glued on a set of old Remington rifle sights they were still going strong 15 years later when I sold the gun.

gwpercle
07-24-2019, 07:52 PM
J B Weld was my first thought. The slow setting original formula , let fully cure for the best adhesion.
The 5 minute "quick setting " J B Weld doesn't have the strength as the slow cure formula .
Gary

Steven66
07-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Loctite Black Max would be my suggestion. Sold for just this purpose.

country gent
07-24-2019, 11:12 PM
When gluing in sights the cleaning prep on the parts is as important as the glue. Another is a clamping set up that maintains a glue bond thickness and is secure. Weather a sized grit or other means the optimum bond thickness needs to be maintained.
I have glued sights on for short testing using super glue and it worked okay for the purpose. There used to be sights for shotguns that used double faced tape. JB weld works as does some others We used a Loctite epoxy that was very strong at work. But prep and bond thickness are important also

abunaitoo
07-25-2019, 02:42 AM
I have used JB weld a few times.
I read someplace that Shoe-goo works well.
Haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon.

LAGS
07-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Shoe Goo works well.
I have used it before.
But to get a Good Bond, You have to put it on kind of thick.
That leaves a space where the sights can Flex a bit.
For Temporary mounting to check sight alignment , it works great.
But for accuracy, You need something thinner and less flexible.