PDA

View Full Version : 458 SOCOM -- What are your Favorite Bullets, Shapes and Weights?

Liberty1776
07-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Am having an AR-15 built, chambered for .458 SOCOM. Definitely a "want," not a need. So sue me. The upper will have its ejection port enlarged for reliable case ejection and the mag slightly modified for .458 SOCOM. (I had heard mags didn't need modification, but apparently it helps with some ammo.)

The bolt will be an AR-15 bolt with the face opened up to receive the .308-sized rim. Some prefer to use the naturally larger AR-10 bolt. They say they are more durable. We'll see.

16" barrel. Having a giant "tank" muzzle brake installed on the end, just to blow warm exhaust gases at the guys to the sides on the range. (Just kidding. It's effective but not fun to be beside one of those compensators.)

Anyway, at $2.75/round, reloading is essential. Ordered:

- Lee .458 SOCOM 3-die set (won't use the expander)
- Lee .458 Factory Crimp Die
- Dillon 21440 powder funnel for my Dillon 550C.
(Will use existing #1 shellplate and #1 locating pins (same as .45ACP and .308 Win)
- 100, Starline .458 SOCOM brass cases
- 50, Barnes Tipped TAC-TX Bullets 458 SOCOM (458 Diameter) 300 Grain Boat Tail Lead-Free
- Lyman Ammo Checker Cartridge Gauge $14 (was going to get the TROMIX slotted case gauge but it's $45 plus $15 shipping. I drew the line at $57 for a gauge. But it is one nice gauge. https://tromix.com/product/cartridge-slotted-case-gauge/ )

Here are the questions of y'all:

1. Is there an ideal bullet shape for .458 SOCOM? Pointed? JHP? Round nose? What has worked most reliably for you?
2. Do you have a favorite weight? 300 grains? Other?
3. What particular bullet has worked for you that doesn't break the bank?
4. Have you cast bullets and if so, which kind? Powder coated?

Bonus:
If you have favorite powders and load data, or can point toward the data, that would be appreciated too.

It's been a couple of years since much .458 SOCOM conversation was here. Has more info become available?

Thanks.