PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500/450/45 question

TaylorS
07-22-2019, 09:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190723/9062cd626710bfd6a107152f85220567.jpg

So I have some of the Lyman moly lube in my lubesizer. There’s not Much left (I think) but I want to clean out what’s left before I start on my heeled 38 long colt stuff since I’m using bp for it I should probably use my black powder lube. So does anyone have a method that works quickly to run the grease out of this thing? Or am I being to anal about things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avogunner
07-22-2019, 09:52 PM
A bit of a mess but heating the sizer with a hair dryer (or heat gun of some type) while upside down always worked for me. The lube would just pour right out and could even be captured for use later.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

TaylorS
07-22-2019, 10:21 PM
I was thinking I could plug it in and let it drain but seemed messy. Figured there was a better way.

EDG
07-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Unbolt it, remove your die.
Hold it or wire it upside down over whatever you want to catch the liquid lube in.

Heat it with a hair dryer or a heat gun. The lube will run out like water when hot.
You might want to have some protective gloves and some sort of clean wipe or rag to rub the exterior off after it is drained out but still hot. It is really much simpler than you think. Like pouring hot water out of a boot.

I was thinking I could plug it in and let it drain but seemed messy. Figured there was a better way.

40-82 hiker
07-22-2019, 11:31 PM
I take out the H&I die, and dismantle the rest, and put the body in my smelting pot (cut-down 20 lb. propane cylinder), and boil the lube out. It comes out very clean. I then let the water cool, skim off the lube, and pitch the water.

Dry when just cool enough to handle, and blow a few minutes with a hair dryer as it is already warm/hot, and done. I tried a hair dryer to get the lube out once and it took longer than I was happy with. Still did not get all of the lube out. JMHO, YMMV.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Lyman Super Moly is some messy stuff, much messier than other lubes...the moly really stains. I assume the Super Moly is what you are talking about. Because of that, I would just keep lubing other boolits until you totally run out, then add your new lube and continue to lube boolits until most of the Blackness is gone...a tiny bit of blackness will remain for a long time, but that isn't a big deal if 98% of the lube is your BP lube.
that's my 2¢

john.k
07-23-2019, 12:17 AM
The new lube just pushes a track in the retained lube,with just a streak of black ,at the most.........I always use moly in bullet lube ,its magic stuff,and even a trace positively prevents leading (unless you overdrive and strip lead)......never had Lyman lube ,tho just make my own using Moly GR2 grease from a large drum Ive had for 40 years...........I know it was magic stuff in the cranes ,stopped stick slip chatter,and squarking immediately on pumping some in the bearings.

Sig556r
07-23-2019, 07:34 AM
I'll just keep adding new lube until the old stuff is displaced if you don't mind the transition color change...

Wayne Smith
07-23-2019, 09:04 AM
He's going from smokeless to a BP lube and probably wants it clean. That's why I have two lubesizers - one smokeless and one pistol/PB lube.

Markopolo
07-23-2019, 09:22 AM
i am afraid I am with JonB on this one,, i never drain my lube... just keep lubing till i get the color I want out... there are always some bullets around here that need sizing and lube to run out the lube with..

georgerkahn
07-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Another strong agreement with JonB in Glenco and similar posters! I will add that following moly in one of my 450's is what honestly prompted the purchase of my second! I did the heat-gun trick and was 100% sure I got all out -- but, by golly, the next 75 or so bullets still had smears/traces/lines from the stuff. It is still a mystery to me where it has been hiding? Lonnng time ago, but I believe I was doing pistol bullets, not recalling their calibre. But, again, seeing a used unit listed on this site at a most reasonable price -- I snapped it up -- being such a "smart" move, I even have a couple more :). Soooo easy to change the H&I dies; more than a wee pain to change the lub -- imho, of course ;).
geo

DonMountain
07-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Just buy another sizer/luber for your Black Powder bullets. And switch them when needed. No problem switching lubes from one to the other.

TaylorS
07-23-2019, 03:02 PM
Yeah I’ll clean this one out for now another lil one coming so my shooting budget got smaller again so can’t just haul off and buy another one. I’ll keep my ears open though might find one on the cheapo.

Green Frog
07-24-2019, 09:06 AM
I’m watching this thread closely. Although I have three units and am bidding on another, I till want to have the correct lube in the press of my choice (without contaminants) so I’ll need to clean out whatever is in it at the time I get it.

Froggie

dsh1106
08-09-2019, 10:55 AM
I tore mine down and put it in a disposable aluminum foil pan filled with water and placed in on the grill and boiled all the old lube out.
Just make sure the press in completely submerged, once the lube is melted it will float on top of the water and can be skimmed off.

Scott

bema
12-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Somebody knows where to find a replacement handle and link for the 450 lubricator, the same one lyman uses know for their 4500.
Thanks
Bema

smithnframe
12-15-2019, 09:33 AM
I think you're being anal.......just use it!

Froogal
12-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Reading with interest because I am ready for something better than pan lubing. The SPG lube is supposedly recommended for black powder, so even though I have only experimented with black powder, I used the SPG for pan lubing when using smokeless and it works quite well, so when my 4500 gets here, I think I'll just load it up with SPG and be happy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Somebody knows where to find a replacement handle and link for the 450 lubricator, the same one lyman uses know for their 4500.
Thanks
Bema

It appears they no longer show the handle upgrade kit or any other parts for the 450 on their website.
So, you would need to call them, to ask for availability and order it.
They list phone numbers on the "Contact us" page of their website.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/contacts/

Green Frog
12-15-2019, 08:17 PM
Reading with interest because I am ready for something better than pan lubing. The SPG lube is supposedly recommended for black powder, so even though I have only experimented with black powder, I used the SPG for pan lubing when using smokeless and it works quite well, so when my 4500 gets here, I think I'll just load it up with SPG and be happy.

Friend Dale53 turned me on to Emmert's Lube. According to tradition, Buck Emmert developed it it as a Schuetzen lube for use with "modern" smokeless powders, but then it was discovered to work well with BP as well and has been heartily embraced among BPCS and N-SSA shooters. The basic formula involves beeswax and Crisco with other, lesser amounts of lanolin, oils, etc. There are several variations, but if you search a bit, you should be able to find one that works for you. I've added a little carnauba wax when I used it for pan lubing, but have plans to pour some sticks of it for one of my Lyman 450s. The most interesting thing about this formula (besides the relative economy with which it can be made) is that it seems equally at home in bullets powered by Black or Smokeless Powders.

Froggie

Baltimoreed
12-16-2019, 11:30 AM
I built this to heat up both of my sizers at the same time. Just a piece of aluminum that sits on the heater plate under the sizers. The whole rig is screwed to a piece of oak. I have a 30 cal die in one and a 45 die in the other. I’d say look for a second sizer for your black powder lube.

John Boy
12-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Pan lube your bullets and one never has to drain the Lyman

MOA
12-16-2019, 12:33 PM
TaylorS and bema Lyman sometimes does not, or forgets to send the new modified reservoir cap when you order the handle upgrade kit. If you ordered a kit but got no cap, call them back and the will send you one, it's part of the kit. Here's what the cap looks like.

https://i.postimg.cc/QtZ2XDgh/20190227_140620.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Z9j7c1DM)

The new cap is on the right. Allows you to raise the handle all the way up.

Froogal
12-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Pan lube your bullets and one never has to drain the Lyman

Pan lubing is hit or miss. Some bullets come out perfect, but quite a few do not. Too much frustration for me. I am getting a Lyman lubri-sizer.