PDA

View Full Version : Question for a telephone or electric lineman

Boz330
07-22-2019, 03:47 PM
I was told that the wire on one of these cable ends could be released. Does anyone know the procedure. I'm assuming that there is some sort of taper lock on the guy line that locks it under tension but just releasing the tension alone doesn't release the wire.
I'm using these to guy line a bridge across a creek on my farm.

Thanks
Bob

1911sw45
07-22-2019, 04:24 PM
You have to pull the cable thru the end that has the loop. They might be corroded and not want to pull out that end until it’s broke free. It’s a one way directional. Goes in the cone side out the side with the loop.

Boz330
07-22-2019, 04:53 PM
You have to pull the cable thru the end that has the loop. They might be corroded and not want to pull out that end until it’s broke free. It’s a one way directional. Goes in the cone side out the side with the loop.

So cut the wire and drive out with a punch?

Bob

fivegunner
07-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Yep just what 1911sw45 said , you might have to get a hammer after you cut the span wire about 2 inch`s from the load side hit it to pull it threw the big loop side . easier than it sounds . wd 40 might help

1911sw45
07-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Will have to cut on the cone end. Might be able to put in a vise after you undo the loop end. Then use a pair of channel locks and cam over to pull it thru or use a pair of fencing pliers to cam over to pull it thru. Just remember what goes in has to come out the other end. The more you pull from the cone end the tight hold it has. Like Chinese finger cuffs.

1911sw45
07-22-2019, 05:03 PM
The part that the loop is in should slide back up the cone end and the loops will come off. Once you get the tension off it by cutting the main wire.

Boz330
07-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Got it, Thanks. I want to re-use these. I'm going to install turnbuckles so that the wire can be adjusted over time if necessary. The old wires got loose and the bridge which is a 50' span became pretty bouncy when you crossed it. Really freaked the dog out.

Bob

huntnman
07-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Saging strand can be tightened with a grip and hoist. Put grip on lose strand or guy wire, above the connector use the hoist attached to the ancor, to tighten cable,pull slack trough the back side of connector, done.

Boz330
07-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Saging strand can be tightened with a grip and hoist. Put grip on lose strand or guy wire, above the connector use the hoist attached to the ancor, to tighten cable,pull slack trough the back side of connector, done.

Unfortunately I don't have such a set-up. I do have a couple un-used tractor implement stabilizer bars that will give plenty of take-up when needed.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
07-27-2019, 07:37 AM
we reused them all the time. there like Chinese fingers and only hold one way. Cut them off about an inch from the top and smack the stub on steel (back of our truck) and the wire usually comes right out. smacking the body up against the truck a couple times helps free up the fingers inside. If you don't want to cut it just get some slack in it with a hoist and smack the larger end a time or two and it will come loose and allow you to pull more cable through it.