PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Help

mozee
07-22-2019, 03:18 PM
So i have bought about a ton of alloy (94% lead, 6% antimony) in 30kg ingots. I am certain the alloy will be hard enough but would I need to throw in some tin for mold fill? If so, I was considering 1%, so 300 grams. This will be for bullets that will be loaded to less than 1200 fps. Will this be good enough or should I go with 2% tin for a proper hardball alloy? Lastly, and I am by no means a math boffin :veryconfu, am I calculating the tin correctly or is there some other arb formula to add metal to an existing alloy?

bdicki
07-22-2019, 03:43 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators

mozee
07-22-2019, 04:09 PM
thank you, seems I missed this calculator.

kevin c
07-23-2019, 01:57 AM
I use tin because I have it. Other casters here have stated that they get good fill out without it, simply by running the melt (and mold?) a bit hotter.

Hardball isn't needed for everything. If you're loading pistol at moderate velocities a 3-1 or 3-2 alloy may do fine.

Conditor22
07-23-2019, 02:18 AM
Why do you need hardball alloy for 1200 fps?

COWW only has .5% tin The proof is trying it and see how it casts and shoots

https://i.imgur.com/4XDVJT5.png

mozee
07-23-2019, 08:52 AM
I use tin because I have it. Other casters here have stated that they get good fill out without it, simply by running the melt (and mold?) a bit hotter.

Hardball isn't needed for everything. If you're loading pistol at moderate velocities a 3-1 or 3-2 alloy may do fine.

Thanks Kevin, yes these loads will not exceed 1200 fps. I will give the alloy I have test and will report once I have put a few bullet downrange.

mozee
07-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Why do you need hardball alloy for 1200 fps?

COWW only has .5% tin The proof is trying it and see how it casts and shoots

https://i.imgur.com/4XDVJT5.png

Thanks, yes I agree, it should be casted and tested. I will definitely try the 94-6 alloy I have without the tin. If I dont succeed with a good bullet I will throw tin in 0.5% increments.

Don1357
07-23-2019, 05:54 PM
Tin is not just to aid flow. In equal amounts with antimony it stops the alloy from being brittle and shattering on impact.

Heck I have a good amount of soft lead, if you want we can trade. That way you can dial in the amount of antimony you need for a given application.

mozee
07-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Tin is not just to aid flow. In equal amounts with antimony it stops the alloy from being brittle and shattering on impact.

Heck I have a good amount of soft lead, if you want we can trade. That way you can dial in the amount of antimony you need for a given application.

Don, thank you for the offer. Unfortunately I am on the other side of the pond. Specifically South Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredj338
07-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Try casting without first. In 9mm & up sizes, I do fine without adding any tin. I think too many people add tin & too much when they do. 1% would be a max unless you are dealing with something like 20-1 lead/tin for LHP.
Been awhile since I was in RSA, I have a friend with a farm up in the OFS. I need to get back for another trip.

mozee
07-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Try casting without first. In 9mm & up sizes, I do fine without adding any tin. I think too many people add tin & too much when they do. 1% would be a max unless you are dealing with something like 20-1 lead/tin for LHP.
Been awhile since I was in RSA, I have a friend with a farm up in the OFS. I need to get back for another trip.

I’ve turned on the new machine and started casting. Had a few rejects as the molds were heating up but after a few throws got nice shiny bullets. I hope to bang some samples tomorrow.

RSA has changed a lot, spending when you were here last. Come over and visit, we can do some safari and then some bush hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk