PDA

View Full Version : blue koolaid

rancher1913
07-20-2019, 06:59 PM
well I finally drank some blue koolaid, found a used super 1050 for a good price. missing the primer fill tubes but as far as I can tell everything else is there. its set up for 5.56 which was what I needed badly and now the lnl can stay set up for 38's.

have fill tubes coming, but could a guy put one primer at a time in the primer assembly on the press to get going or will they not fall straight. the press sure functions smooth and I'm itching to try loading with it.

onelight
07-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Congratulations you got yourself a fine press. Enjoy it.

LUBEDUDE
07-21-2019, 09:05 AM
You got a great machine that you are going to love.

As far as dropping one primer down the feeding tube; give it a try and see. You may have to have a perfect release, but then maybe not.

I can tell you this though, I keep loaded tubes ready to go for the next loading session. I store them vertically because if that tube goes horizontal, sometimes a few primers may flip over inside the tube. Point being, that if you don’t drop a single primer flat enough, it may flip over on the way down. But you won’t know for sure until you try it.

Just out of curiosity, why can’t you use a Hornady or brand “X” filler tube?

Kevin Rohrer
07-21-2019, 11:08 AM
I can tell you this though, I keep loaded tubes ready to go for the next loading session. I store them vertically because if that tube goes horizontal, sometimes a few primers may flip over inside the tube. Point being, that if you don’t drop a single primer flat enough, it may flip over on the way down. But you won’t know for sure until you try it.

This is an excellent idea. I have lots of primer tubes that I fill before .45ACP loading, and a couple primers always seem to get jammed at the top, requiring me to take the tube apart so they fall out. There should be an unused flower vase around here somewhere to hold them vertically. Thanks!

Littlewolf
07-21-2019, 12:21 PM
try this guy
i have 2 of his primer fill tube racks for my dillon 650 and 2 sdb's
www.facebook.com/kineticarcllc/
he also makes toolhead racks and several other things for reloading assistance

by the by the tube racks i bought have 7 tube slots and each slot holds 3 tubes and 6 slots are full so as i empty a tube it goes retaining pin down in the "empty" slot

kevin c
07-22-2019, 01:57 AM
I've never had a primer flip over inside a Dillon pick up tube - I kinda thought the ID of the tube was specifically chosen to prevent that. Unless maybe it's a small primer in the large tube?

I store filled tubes for future use on their sides in a foam lined 5K primer sleeve. I do get the occasional primer hung up in the pick up tip, but only if I haven't made sure that the tip is snug against the tube body, or if the tip is old and worn so that the arms loosen up and allow the end primer in a loaded tube to push into them with the weight of the other 99 primers behind it.

JeepHammer
07-24-2019, 06:35 PM
I don't know if they still have them, or if you have a vertical spot to screw them down,
But Harbor Freight had screwdriver racks with slots for $5 a while back that I use to hang primer tubes on.
Each slot will hold 4 tubes and there are 8 slots on each rack.
I keep the press tools hanging in one, the tubes in another (for $5 I got a few).

I build work station for my different presses, this keeps the parts & proprietary equipment separated and at hand... Nothing worse than 'Digging' for some little part in a bin full of other stuff, my work station have sides I can attach things to.

https://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/JeepHammer1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1189_zpsgizslm99.jpg?width=480&height=480&crop=1:1,smart

Just for the record,
Primers don't flip in the tubes, the tubes are specifically sized to keep that from happening.

Primers can flip in the shuttle bar on a 1050, or in the primer wheel on a 650.
This is why many of us polish,and regularly clean the floor plate so there isn't anything for the primer to snag on.
Making sure there isn't too big of a drop between the feed nipple & primer plate will keep a primer from turning during the drop also.
You will also find not all primer cups are the same height, adjust accordingly to the primer you are using so it passes cleanly from tube to shuttle.

Some of us add weight to the push rod, like a cartridge case on the finger grip, to add a little extra down force, this keeps primers from getting sideways or flipping in the gap between feed nipple & primer shuttle.

You are not supposed to add weight, added mass makes the push rod a more effective projectile in the event of a primer tube explosion, but it's common... (I'm guilty)
But it does make the primers feed better...

If you have primer hang-ups, Dillon will replace the tube no questions asked, and don't bother with trying to 'Fix' a bad tube.
There isn't anyway to fix a bad tube, just have Dillon replace it.
Not all tubes are created equal, and without running one you can't tell if it's going to fail, Dillon sells WAY too many to test each one.

Before you blame Dillon... Winchester had a QC problem for YEARS with burrs on primer cups that jammed in Dillon tubes.
CCI had about a year long issue with primers they finally got fixed,
S&B had an issue with primers about 6 or 7 years back it took about 6 months to correct...
Some were burrs, some were out of round, some were primer material sticking up above the cup that cocked the primer above it and jammed it, some had out of height spec cups...

You WILL like that machine once it's tuned!
The 1050 has way less issues with primers than the 650 does (because of the shuttle) and it's SMOOTH!
Clean & lubricate often and it's smooth as a prom queen's thighs.
Ignore cleaning & lubrication, and it will drive you crazy.

A place called 'Fast & Friendly Brass' has YouTube videos that show how to set up the case feed to shell plate, and this method (using a razor blade to align) works pretty well! They also have other tips if you can struggle through some pointless noise.

Gunners Mate
07-24-2019, 09:15 PM
The Blue Kool aid is all good

rancher1913
07-24-2019, 10:10 PM
seems to run good, only problem I am having is it wants to stick when it swages the primer hole, expect I just need to adjust that die a little.

kmw1954
07-24-2019, 11:53 PM
I'm a RED Kool-Aide and Coca Cola drinker but I'm grad for you just the same. With the amount of shooting I do that fine press is 10X more press then I could ever put to use. One afternoons worth of loading on that and I'd be set for 2 years. Where's the fun in that?

Anyways, good job on the press and have yourself a Blast!

jmorris
07-25-2019, 09:27 AM
seems to run good, only problem I am having is it wants to stick when it swages the primer hole, expect I just need to adjust that die a little.

There is an expander on the back up rod for the swage station, that is more likely to stick than the swage, especially with very clean brass. Might try lubing inside the neck of a case and see if that helps. If so I’d suggest polishing it or eliminating it if you and happy with the expander in your size die.

rancher1913
07-25-2019, 08:50 PM
that just might be it as Im using new brass to get started and it seems to be an intermittent problem. thanks

jmorris
07-25-2019, 09:02 PM
I would just remove it for new brass, it’s not going to be crimped anyway.