PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much for an Old Hollywood Vintage Press

Gearhead1
07-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Been awhile since I've been on the website and posted anyting had a life-threatening accident in my vehicle lucky to be here, anyway enough with that stuff I am alive and well for the most part saw a posting on eBay for a vintage Hollywood senior turret reloading press ,the bid is above $900 for this press .I guess people are desperate for these things I own several Hollywood's and three of this press and would never pay anywhere near what that guy's asking for it I know they're hard to find and when they come up they fetch a hefty price but realistically I'm wondering if this guy has his buddies bidding this thing up just to make a huge profit on the Press on its best day might yet 600 to 700 maybe what are your guys's thoughts.

Markopolo
07-20-2019, 06:17 PM
i am not sure, maybe there is something special about that particular press that only hollywooder types recognize???

good to see you up an at em... you back to shooting and casting????

Pressman
07-20-2019, 06:27 PM
For $900.00 bucks I thought it must be a Super Turret. But, sadly no, it is a dirty Senior Turret that has the swage bar and a shellholder adapter.

Interestingly the seller is a reputable dealer who listed it with a $9.99 opening bid and it took off from there.

Just a couple of years ago they were regularly selling for $250.00

Nueces
07-20-2019, 06:32 PM
All it takes to cause one of these pricing anomalies is two bidders who 'must' have the item. Such a sale often brings other like items out of the woodwork, but sale prices then tend to be normal or even below the long time average. C'est la vie.

Pressman
07-20-2019, 06:53 PM
One bidder placed a bid early on with a very high reserve, no one has broken his bid yet.

I just looked through the sellers other items, that was worth a chuckle. It looks like they must have bought an estate with nearly a dozen RCBS lubesizers, a Lachmiller and three Herter's. They have all been repainted or powder coated in some awful colors.

abunaitoo
07-21-2019, 02:30 AM
evil bay
People just don't know. They just bid.

georgerkahn
07-21-2019, 06:29 AM
I concur highly with Post #5 (Pressman), understanding from my more-than-2,000 purchases through the years, I -- e.g., ME -- observe but one, simple rule. To wit, "What is the maximum 'whatever' is worth to ME?" If I win the auction, great... if not, surely someone else will relist it, and 90% of the time I win auction at a VERY much lower price than prior listing. E.g, I had lent my Lyman Cast Bullet handbook to a buddy who had the displeasure to all of passing. "Easy! Go on eBay and buy one cheap". There were two listings for this, the 3rd edition, and both were already more than double what I'd bid. Every so often, I'd type in the search, and sure enough, I won one for twelve dollars -- still, to me, on the high side -- delivered.
Some people get "auction fever" where they HAVE to win an item; me? Well, retired I just don't have the income for such.
The Hollywood seeker may be one of the "gotta' have it" folks, with the income (or credit) to support same.
geo

Shawlerbrook
07-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Sometimes auctions like that become a personal battle between a few desperate bidders.

DougGuy
07-21-2019, 06:55 AM
The high bidder placed his very high max bid on July 12th. All the other bids cause ebay to increase his bid by proxy in the bid increment over the challenging bid. If it was just one bidder bumping it up I'd say yeah shill bidding but it looks like at least 2 have bid it up this high. Sometimes folks will bid against another for spite, i.e. they bid and are automatically outbid, then they get mad and keep bidding knowing they are driving up the other guy's cost.

owejia
07-21-2019, 07:15 AM
Was at a cattle auction back in the 90's and saw two bidders get into "I've got more money than you" bidding war over a bull. A doctor from Paducah ky and one of the guys from the group Alabama. Run that sucker up to $35,000. Maybe it is an ego thing.

LUBEDUDE
07-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Some of the posts about bid wars may be correct, but I’m not so sure. I think it is more of a supply and demand issue.

A year or two back the Senior Turrets (ST) would seem to average $400-$500. Naturally there were variances. Now when Tracvision was selling new old stock STs before that he was averaging $750-$800. But those were new presses.

Fast forward to 6 months + back and there just have not been the same steady supply of STs. Now, after this dry spell a ST shows up at the end of June. In early July it sold for $1,176.77 plus shipping!! It shocked me and obviously opened up the eyes of others. A few weeks later(now that is) another comes along, not as clean as the other one, but minor differences and options. It’s at $910 with 11 hours to go. Maybe potential buyers of the one they missed out on from 2 weeks ago are bidding on this one. And the bar has been set.

Just my view from the saddle.

Kevin Rohrer
07-21-2019, 10:55 AM
For $900.00 bucks I thought it must be a Super Turret. But, sadly no, it is a dirty Senior Turret that has the swage bar and a shellholder adapter.

Just a couple of years ago they were regularly selling for $250.00

I almost choked on my iced tea when I read this, Pressman. :kidding:

$900 is the going price for a Senior Turret especially if complete, and that isn't even a starting bid for a Super Turret. Prices can only go up as they are no longer being made, are built to last >100-years, and have a following.

Pressman
07-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Kevin, you are correct. Not enough coffee and a too hot (no AC) day. It was 5 years ago that $325.00 was a fair price. I was thinking of a standard Senior for $225.00 two years ago.

oger
07-21-2019, 11:06 PM
The last one just sold for over $1400.00 plus shipping. Not very long ago I bought one with enough spare parts that the package weighed 70lbs for less than half the selling price delivered. It is just crazy.

danomano
07-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Who won the auction for the Group of Hollywood presses, maybe just the past few weeks it ended. The lady had been trying to sell for a couple years now. I think when she first listed it was like 15K??? last I say it was 9K?

1hole
07-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Anything is worth whatever the seller can get someone to pay; who am I to say they are wrong? Especially for collector items! I mean a press is either for using or shelf display.

I can't speak for crazy collectors but if it's to be used I'd say a turret Hollywood in excellent condition is worth about what a current Redding turret sells for. Why should a user pay more, after all those excellent old Hollywoods failed in the market decades ago because they couldn't match their excellent competition for service and price. Nothing's changed. ???

Kevin Rohrer
07-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Or, we can both collect AND use, which is what I do. At currently value, I have $12k of reloading equipment setting on my benches. In 10-years, most of it may well be worth double that.

I recall someone here denigrating Hollywood equipment every chance he got. Perhaps that someone has just refreshed that memory.

Pressman
07-23-2019, 04:37 PM
It's all a matter of how much I think it is worth to me. There's no way I would pay $1000.00 for a Hollywood Senior turret. However, I have twice that invested in a CV Schmidt Model 16. It is neater, to me, than the Hollywood, much rarer and will probably appreciate in value at a much slower rate. But to me I have a real prize.

Currently on fleabay there is a 1908 Frankford Arsenal Reloading Set. I am scrambling to move some $$$ around to make acquiring this a reality. It is priced a bit high, is very rare and again will appreciate a lot slower than a Hollywood. But it is a magnificent part of reloading history. I don't mind spending the $$$ as I understand the historical significance of these tools.

Ken

pertnear
07-23-2019, 06:02 PM
A few years ago, I needed a Rem 700 SA for a new project. I got tired of searching pawn shops & getting ridiculous price quotes for "beaters". An Academy store near me advertised a hunter's special Rem 700 ADL .308 Win for $379 + tax. I bought one & carefully removed the barrel not to scratch it. I put the barrel on Ebay as a new, unfired take-off barrel with a starting bid of $99. At the end of a 7 day bidding war, I got $425 for the barrel. That's right, I got a free action & stock & some pocket money! The buyer was very happy & left me some good feedback too!

Sometimes Ebay auctions are just plain crazy nuts! :confused:

rbuck351
07-24-2019, 10:59 AM
I have seen it many times where people buy something at an auction that is still sold at Walmart for less than they paid at the auction. No longer available items are a bit different and are worth what some one will pay. I don't have a Hollywood press of any kind because I'm not willing to pay what others think they are worth.

1hole
07-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Hollywood was a major player decades ago. They have interesting designs and are well made BUT, for a user, it's not worth more than the price of any current good single stage or turret press. There is no way to predict what a collector will pay for anything, it's worth what ever the buyer is willing to pay!

It's possible a collection of anything will double in market value in ten years but it's even more likely the rate of inflation will make that increase a moot point.

smithnframe
07-29-2019, 07:53 AM
How hard are they to find accoutrements for?

LUBEDUDE
07-29-2019, 08:38 AM
My first avenue of choice would be Bob at sedroc@centurytel.net

He bought out Hollywood Reloading Tools that Tracvision previously owned. Bob has a huge inventory of new, old stock. He doesn’t have everything, but can hopefully help you.

My second avenue would be eBay.

Kevin Rohrer
07-29-2019, 09:33 PM
How hard are they to find accoutrements for?

There are a couple people here who sell lots of goodies on Ebay for Hollywood. I have bought parts from them and they are all first-rate.

Conditor22
07-29-2019, 11:29 PM
A guy's been asking $1,000 for this on craigslist
https://i.imgur.com/5emCixx.png

Kevin Rohrer
07-30-2019, 09:36 AM
It is mostly complete and in excellent condition. Get him down to $900.

pertnear
07-30-2019, 09:57 AM
It is mostly complete and in excellent condition. Get him down to $900.

...and insist on free shipping! [smilie=w:

Hollywood_Goon
08-19-2019, 12:38 AM
saw a posting on eBay for a vintage Hollywood senior turret reloading press ,the bid is above $900 for this press .I guess people are desperate for these things I own several Hollywood's and three of this press and would never pay anywhere near what that guy's asking for it I know they're hard to find and when they come up they fetch a hefty price but realistically I'm wondering if this guy has his buddies bidding this thing up just to make a huge profit on the Press on its best day might yet 600 to 700 maybe what are your guy's thoughts.Good evening Gearhead1. I believe your referring to the eBay auction that I won. The auction was not run up by the lister's buddy. I can guarantee you that.

LUBEDUDE
08-19-2019, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum HW Goon. Congrats on your HW!

Enjoy

Sig556r
08-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Good evening Gearhead1. I believe your referring to the eBay auction that I won. The auction was not run up by the lister's buddy. I can guarantee you that.

Congratulations to your new press!
If I may ask, is it gonna be a beater or planning to keep it as a prized collection?

Char-Gar
08-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Hollywood presses bring far more than their actual value as a reloading press. The leverage is quit low compared to a compound leverage press like the Rockchucker. A Lyman All American turret press has the same leverage and smooth feel as the Hollywood and can be bought for less than $150.00.

Folks can pay the sky high prices for a Hollywood, but if they think they are getting a superior machine to reload ammo, then they are wrong. Hollywood's bring high prices because they are collectable, not because they are superior.

LUBEDUDE
08-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Hollywood presses bring far more than their actual value as a reloading press. The leverage is quit low compared to a compound leverage press like the Rockchucker. A Lyman All American turret press has the same leverage and smooth feel as the Hollywood and can be bought for less than $150.00.

Folks can pay the sky high prices for a Hollywood, but if they think they are getting a superior machine to reload ammo, then they are wrong. Hollywood's bring high prices because they are collectable, not because they are superior.

You left the part out about the high risk of blowing out a gonad when lifting the HW press up to mount on the bench!

Pressman
08-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Lubedude, there will be an interesting article in the October Journal about Lyle Cochran. Well researched and illustrated.

LUBEDUDE
08-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Lubedude, there will be an interesting article in the October Journal about Lyle Cochran. Well researched and illustrated.

Awesome, I’m looking forward to it.

Hollywood_Goon
08-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forum HW Goon. Congrats on your HW!

Enjoy
Thank you

Hollywood_Goon
08-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Congratulations to your new press!
Thank you

If I may ask, is it gonna be a beater or planning to keep it as a prized collection?
I'm going to refurbish (restore) the press and use it after the work is done. With all the work that I'm doing to it, no since in not using it. When I received the press, it didn't look too "in bad of shape". WROOOONG.....the press was unusable in it's present state. The turret was seized up due to the ball being/was out of round (0.240" - 0.248"). The chrome on the ball was coming off. Plus, no lube would not allow the turret to rotate (rust was a factor also).

The base was even in worse shape than the turret. Some "clown" tried to disassemble the linkage and in doing so, seized the left side up. I had to use a gremel with a sanding drum, a 20 ton press and some Kroil to get it separated. The clown that tried to dissemble the linkage, used a hammer and tried to beat the linkage out of the main shaft. In doing so, "said clown" mushroomed the end he was beating on. No way was that linkage piece coming apart without removing some metal. It was even seized up inside of the main shaft as to why I had to use penetrating oil and a press to get it apart. Get out your popcorn, it doesn't end there. When the clown realized the linkage was not coming apart. Said "clown" took a hammer and a chisel to the other side, trying to push the linkage back into the main shaft and in doing so....put a deep gouge in the linkage (grrrrr). Fast forward a couple hours. After I got the linkage separated from the main shaft. The right side just needs the rust and grime cleaned from it. The main shaft needs the same. The left side linkage, it needs some welding and machine work to bring it back. I'm hoping to have the left side linkage finished by this weekend, just depends on my work schedule.

Hollywood_Goon
08-20-2019, 02:47 PM

If I'm after compound leverage, I have a Forster Co-Ax press for that. :bigsmyl2:

Kevin Rohrer
08-20-2019, 08:30 PM

I agree with all this. But leverage or the lack thereof has never been a problem for me, and I like having old equipment that has a "wow" factor. Almost all my presses are old and/or unusual. I paid more for them than newer, aluminum stuff, but I enjoy owning and using them more than anything aluminum.

Kevin Rohrer
08-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Hollywood Goon,

If your press is short any parts, there are people on Ebay and here who can supply them.

Welcome to the club.

super6
08-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Just bought a hollywood universal 3 Turret With 14 dies $800 Did I get beat?
Belonged to a 90 year old smith.

Pressman
08-21-2019, 08:10 PM

I bought mine 15 years ago for $150.00 and thought that was too much. Looks like a good rate of return on investment.

Kevin Rohrer
08-22-2019, 07:12 PM

That is a decent price. I have seen some go for less, and others for more. Depends on the condition and what came with it.

Hollywood_Goon
08-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Hollywood Goon,

If your press is short any parts, there are people on Ebay and here who can supply them.

Welcome to the club.
Thanks for the welcome. Right now, I have 3 Hollywood presses (2 Senior Turrets and 1 Single Stage). I do plan on replacing some of the priming post and the universal shell holder cause there in bad shape. If you got the time, could you post there contacts here. I'm mainly looking for original parts (New old stock).

Also if anyone is interested, there are 2 new listings on eBay right now for 2 Hollywood Turret presses. One is a Vintage 1936 Hollywood Turret Reloading Press with the wooden handle (wow, it's nice looking).

Pressman
08-24-2019, 08:13 PM
The "1936" press is a Model C from 1953-1959.

Do a search for "Hollywood" only in Presses & Accessories and look for the primer arms from the dealer in Port Ritchie Florida. These are the real thing, NOS from the remainder of the original Hollywood stock.

This is the person you want to talk to about everything Hollywood.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
08-25-2019, 09:08 AM
The "1936" press is a Model C from 1953-1959.

Do a search for "Hollywood" only in Presses & Accessories and look for the primer arms from the dealer in Port Ritchie Florida. These are the real thing, NOS from the remainder of the original Hollywood stock.

This is the person you want to talk to about everything Hollywood.

Ken

Harold, the guy in FL, sold his business to Bob in AZ.

Bob has NOS primer posts on eBay. He can also be reached at:

sedroc@centurytel.net

Hollywood_Goon
08-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Harold, the guy in FL, sold his business to Bob in AZ.

Bob has NOS primer posts on eBay. He can also be reached at:

sedroc@centurytel.net
Thanks LUBEDUDE. I got lucky (about 2 hours left on the auction) this morning cause he had a auction ending soon that had everything I needed in it. I placed my bid and just paid for the items.

The auction consisted of:
1) Four 1-1/2 x12 to 7/8 x14 adapters for turret
2) One .175 Small flat primer rod
3) One .210 Large flat primer rod
4) One #209 Shot shell / 50BMG flat primer rod
5) One universal shell holder marked Hollywood
6) One press thread protector for swage rod hole

LUBEDUDE
08-26-2019, 02:26 PM
Thanks LUBEDUDE. I got lucky (about 2 hours left on the auction) this morning cause he had a auction ending soon that had everything I needed in it. I placed my bid and just paid for the items.

The auction consisted of:
1) Four 1-1/2 x12 to 7/8 x14 adapters for turret
2) One .175 Small flat primer rod
3) One .210 Large flat primer rod
4) One #209 Shot shell / 50BMG flat primer rod
5) One universal shell holder marked Hollywood
6) One press thread protector for swage rod hole

Great, glad you’re all set.