PDA

View Full Version : .45 cal. Lee REAL question

fastdadio
07-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Anybody casting the Lee REAL in .45-250gr? What size do they drop at? Just wondering if they could be sized down to .452 and loaded into a sabot for the fast twist guns. Yes, I realize Lee makes it in .50 also. Just wondering if there may be an advantage here, in possibly easier loading, or tighter groups. Anybody ever tried it?

Outpost75
07-19-2019, 12:36 PM
The Lee 250-grain R.E.A.L. bullets are not cylindrical, but stepped, having the smallest band at the base, and each successive band increasing in diameter towards the front. This is to enable easy hand starting into the muzzle, and engraving the bullet as it is driven into the barrel with a short starter, hence the name Rifling Engraved At Loading.

Mine is .445 at the base, .450 second band, .455 third band, .460 top band.

fastdadio
07-19-2019, 12:57 PM
The Lee 250-grain R.E.A.L. bullets are not cylindrical, but stepped, having the smallest band at the base, and each successive band increasing in diameter towards the front. This is to enable easy hand starting into the muzzle, and engraving the bullet as it is driven into the barrel with a short starter, hence the name Rifling Engraved At Loading.

Mine is .445 at the base, .450 second band, .455 third band, .460 top band.

Thanks for posting. What twist rate do you shoot them in, and how do you like it? I have a Traditions Buck Skinner .50cal, in a 1/20 twist. I've never shot anything but sabots from it. It shoots 2-3" groups at 100yds. So I never really felt the need to experiment any further. Don't really want to mess with what works, but now I'm thinking about being adventurous and trying something different.
And the fact that they are stepped, make me realize they won't do well in a sabot.

Outpost75
07-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks for posting. What twist rate do you shoot them in, and how do you like it? I have a Traditions Buck Skinner .50cal, in a 1/20 twist. I've never shot anything but sabots from it. It shoots 2-3" groups at 100yds. So I never really felt the need to experiment any further. Don't really want to mess with what works, but now I'm thinking about being adventurous and trying something different.
And the fact that they are stepped, make me realize they won't do well in a sabot.

I shoot a T/C Cherokee with 1:48" twist and a Ruger Old Army revolver with 1:20" twist, Shoots well in both.