PDA

View Full Version : Great story about a Vets Funeral

JBinMN
07-18-2019, 09:46 PM
This is the kind of story about folks that shows the bonds & respect of of "the Greater American Family" for those who served...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/interns-efforts-bring-3000-attendees-funeral-vietnam-veteran/story?id=64414309

Not gonna say anything more than that, as it seems I have something in my eye...

Omega
07-18-2019, 10:39 PM
We need to take care of our own. The same thing has been done here in TN, when no known family shows up, the call goes out and local vets show up. It's a shame there are so many who lose contact with all family members.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2019/01/20/unclaimed-veterans-buried-with-dignity-thanks-to-strangers/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/cheatham/2018/11/09/murfreesboro-veteran-buried-military-honors-pegram-cemetery/1944157002/

JBinMN
07-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks Omega, for posting & sharing those links!

Pity there are not more here who feel the same way that we do...

quail4jake
07-20-2019, 12:11 PM
I would like to see this happen more often. We need to stand for those who stand for us, especially those who were forgotten or disenfranchised. I'm a member of our local SUV camp, we do memorial ceremonies for Civil War veterans who were never recognized and we've attended funerals of some recent veterans who had little or no family remaining. I would like to see the day when we can do this sort of thing more regularly...thanks for posting!

merlin101
07-20-2019, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=JBinMN;4690800

Pity there are not more here who feel the same way that we do...[/QUOTE]

OH I think there's a lot more folks on here that do feel as you and I do than the few that don't care!

JBinMN
07-20-2019, 02:51 PM
OH I think there's a lot more folks on here that do feel as you and I do than the few that don't care!

Could be that you are correct, although the numbers here do not reflect that. That is why I posted what I did.

From the list of Our Town forum topics:

---------------------------------------
Great story about a Vets Funeral
Started by JBinMN, 07-18-2019 08:46 PM

Replies: 4
Views: 113

merlin101
Today, 01:07 PM Go to last post
----------------------------------------------
Being that only, approximately 3-4% of the ones who viewed this topic(113), took the time to say anything(4), anyway, led me to think & post the way I did. ( at the time of my earlier post that you quoted, it was 90 views & 2 members posted in approx. 2-3 days. Not a lot of comment compared to those who looked, IMO.)

Prolly about the same amount of people/population who would go to a vets funeral, even if they did not know them. Approx 3-4 folks out of 100.

If I am wrong so be it, but the numbers here don't show it as of right now.

That is why I said it was a "pity".

Maybe it will be shown I was wrong about the membership, but not yet, it hasn't.

My reason for pointing out the article was to show folks it is a good thing to go to a veterans funeral, who, even though they did not know that vet, recognized that the vet served in the military to defend them, even though that vet did not know them either.

Both are worth mentioning, IMO. The Vets willingness to serve to his country even for those he did not know & the willingness of those who appreciate that enough to go to a funeral of that vet , even though they did not know the vet.

I don't think I need to say more.