PDA

View Full Version : Handles

Iwsbull
07-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Very new to casting and apparently I lucked out on my first set of handles and mold as they worked like a charm. The new set I received today was not quite as smooth. It took me a bit to figure out it was the handle fit that was giving me fits. I figured out that I need to shim them ever so slightly on one side. Is this a common thing?

Moparformances
07-18-2019, 09:28 PM
i struggled with Lee handles for a long *** time.. then i got smart

squeeze a good amount of high temp RTV in the handles slid them on good and hard and let them sit.. its been 3 years and several thousand boolets with out so much and a wiggle..

I'm guessing std RTV would work but i had some high temp (if it aint broke don't fix it)

Tom W.
07-18-2019, 09:29 PM
I've been lucky. I have RCBS molds mostly, and the one or two Lyman molds would accept the RCBS handles.

Iwsbull
07-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Thanks I never would’ve thought about high temp RTV. That will be the way I go. Now I know why I got on here saves a lot of headache.

RED BEAR
07-18-2019, 11:04 PM
I have never had a problem with handles not letting mold line up. I just hate the large lee and other handles. Thats why most of my molds are one or two cavity. The large handles just hurt my hands after a while. I have a old set of lyman single cavity handles that are my absolute favorite.

David2011
07-18-2019, 11:58 PM
Thanks I never would’ve thought about high temp RTV. That will be the way I go. Now I know why I got on here saves a lot of headache.

I did the same and it worked very well.

It’s highly recommended to use handles. We had a participant a few years ago that thought the sprue cutting handle WAS the handle on Lee six bangers. He said he used gloves but casting got much easier after he learned that the real handles were available.

fredj338
07-19-2019, 02:58 PM
IF we are talking Lee, like most of their stuff, QC is all over the place.

Tom W.
07-19-2019, 03:10 PM
I did the same and it worked very well.

It’s highly recommended to use handles. We had a participant a few years ago that thought the sprue cutting handle WAS the handle on Lee six bangers. He said he used gloves but casting got much easier after he learned that the real handles were available.

Yup, I remember that.... Kinda shocking.