PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone called Buckshot

Beekeeper
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
My son looks at this website a lot and told me to contact someonne called buckshot as he was probably the expert on old cartaridges.
I'm building a 71/84 and a 1888 commission rifle and need load data for them.
No sense having them and not shoot them.
Want to get all of the equipment I will need so when they are done I can give them a go.
Tried to ask once before and got no answers!
Is there someone here named buckshot or do I have the wrong website?

survivalists Dad

wills
10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
He is one of the elder statesmen of the board. You can look him up in the members list and send a private message, he might notice sooner.

45nut
10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I sent Buckshot a pm mere seconds after he logged out last nite, he will get back to you when he arrives tonite. :)

waksupi
10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
He is one of the elder statesmen of the board. You can look him up in the members list and send a private message, he might notice sooner.

Elder, heh, heh, heh. Yeah. That's it. Elder.

montana_charlie
10-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Elder, heh, heh, heh. Yeah. That's it. Elder.
Some say that when he has trouble remembering the aswers to our questions, he askes that mule of his...
CM

SWIAFB
10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
If I remember right, Buckshot did some load development with an Asperly Aimless.

SharpsShooter
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Oh.......we don't let him out in the daytime............

SS

Jon K
10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
yep, try back around midnite.........that's when he's out. During the day, I think the wife has him confined to remodel and home improvement.
I think he also get to go have lunch with the Burrito Shooters on Tuesday.

Jon

John Boy
10-29-2008, 04:56 PM
71/84 Mauser ... http://www.militaryrifles.com/Germany/71-84Mau.htm
You would be better off asking your Q's on the Mauser Central website/forum ... http://www.mausercentral.com/

For the Mauser 88 Commission rifle ... http://www.texastradingpost.com/m88/index.html

OeldeWolf
10-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Be sure to have your G88 slugged. They were originally in a .318 bore, and some of are still there. Use of the wrong diametert bullet or boolit can ruin all your work in a hurry, and possibly you as well.

My G88 still takes the 8mmj round. The small bore, so they are definitely out there.

OeldeWolf

Buckshot
10-30-2008, 03:50 AM
................Just ignore all these guys up above. As comedians if they quit their day jobs things'll be REAL tough :-)

survivalists Dad, would your son have a Comblain per chance? Not that it's important if not, but just curious.

There's this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5007

And this, but it's actually for the M1871 but the loads are mild and will work in the repeater (boolit's correctly sized):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=37613

I'm no expert on the M71/84 or the M1888 Commission, or any OTHER old guns for that matter. I find it interesting to read about them. Their development, history and etc. However I'm a shooter and not an archivist or researcher [smilie=1: I just find these older guns much more interesting then the modern rifles. There is just something special about them to me. Pretty much the same thing with old cars and houses too. I'll have to add 'some' old people too, as some of them are like time machines.

So anyway, getting one of these oldsters to shoot is really not much different then getting cast to shoot in a modern firearm. The basics are exactly the same as a matter of fact. One difference right up front is that it can be more expensive. Except for your Commission rifle you won't be buying brass at $40/100 cases, nor are dies inexpensive. Maybe you've looked already?

The BEST thing to do is first of all to do a chamber cast. Get about 1" of the bore too. You don't need to cast the entire chamber. Just the front half and that 1" of barrel will suffice. This will show you a picture of the chamber neck area, throat diameter and length, then the leade (area where the lands begin and reach full height.

You'll be able to see that the rifle is chambered for what it's supposed to be. You'll also find out the bore and groove dimensions. Since the M71/84 was a cartridge loaded with BP, and the folks designing it wanted the soldier to be able to fire lots of rounds, the boolits loaded would be somewhat undersized for what we'd want when using smokless powder. The idea was to be able to chamber and shoot with BP fouling in place. The boolit was paper patched of soft lead and the designers depended upon BP's fast ignition to upset the boolit into the grooves.

The 1871 single shot had a bore of .433" and a groove (nominal) of .451". When the M71/84
came out they retained the .433" groove but reduced the nominal groove .005" to .446". If you've researched the M71/84 you might have read that at the advent of smokless powder and the German's acceptance of the M1888 commission rifle, it was going to go to front line troops first. The German Colonial troops would be among the last to be re-armed so they undertook the task of trying to load smokless ammo for the M71/84's these guys would have for awile. They met with less then rousing success.

I don't know your plans on a propellant. If it's BP it would be correct for the rifle, and what it was designed to use. I can't help you with reloading the .43 Mauser with BP specificly, as I never have tried it. However I could help only in a general way, such as paper patching for boolit OD, etc. If it's smokless you're looking at, your chamber cast and brass will have all the answers.

Measure the caseneck thickness, the chamber neck OD on the casting), and ditto throat OD, then your actual groove depth. Lets say your groove is .446". In a happy circumstance say your throat OD is .448". So at this point a bollit of at least groove diameter is looking good. Checking the chamber neck OD it is .474". Taking a piece of brass you find the caseneck thickness to be .012". So 2 x .012" = .024" plus your .446" slug will equal .470". You're home free as you also have .004" clearance/expansion room for the caseneck to release the boolit (.474" chamber neck OD - .470" caseneck OD with a .446" slug in place = .004" wiggle room.

Ideally you'd like a lead slug, using smokless, to be at least .001" over the groove. However the M71/84 has same width lands and grooves. With gooves .006" deep, those wide lands will help to upset lead into them to seal upon firing. If the measurements don't work out ideally for an oversized slug for smokless, you 'might' still be able to get decent useable accuracy with smokless. You would need to cast a hard alloy boolit as large as the throat and case release will allow. You'd then need to load a load of medium-slow to slow powder under a solid filler, such as a Grex like (ground polyethelyene) or other innert filler such as cream of wheat.

The filler does 2 things. One is that it makes the charge of slow powder think it is filling the case. This way it is uniformly ignited and isn't blown all over inside and erratic. The other thing it does is to help seal the slightly undersized boolit in it's travel up the barrel. If the high pressure and hot powder gasses can escape past the slug, the gasses will cut the lead boolit to ribbons like you'd taken a torch to it.

Your M1888 is easy by comparison. Do a similar chamber cast. If your groove IS .318" you can still use a regular cast 8mm boolit. Lube size it to .323" and use it if the throat and chamber neck allows. If not, then run it up through a .320" (or whatever the throat/chamber neck allows) push through die. Use powders like 5744, SR4759, 4227, or 4198 and keep your velocities between 1600 and 1800 fps and you won't have any problems. This is cast boolits ONLY.

..................Buckshot

Beekeeper
10-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Thank you very much for the info.
Just what I needed.
I guess my son was right you are the subject matter expert.
Again thank you

I didn't take the coomdians very serious.
There is always a few in every crowd.

survivalists Dad

Buckshot
10-31-2008, 03:36 AM
I didn't take the coomdians very serious.
There is always a few in every crowd.

survivalists Dad

................They're a Fine bunch. A couple have problems with their meds, but................

........Buckshot

Bret4207
10-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Every now and then I have to update the knowledge base here-

It's that darn "Buckshot" program screwing with us again. Here's the short sotry of what I think happened, pasted from a recent post-

"I thought everyone knew- Buckshot doesn't actually exist. "Buckshot" is a computer program designed by a former KGB agent named Sergi Pxyklungtski who originally came over to our side while posing as a member of the USSR national Womens Fooseball team. He defected in Bayonne NJ and worked for several years in a Top Secret ballistics research center near the fabled "Area 51" which is where he met Scrounger. The "Buckshot" program is an amalgamation of several otherwise useless programs which Sergi developed in an attempt to make it big in the mood ring industry. Sad to say he was a bit behind the curve and when Disco died, so did Sergis dreams of fame. As I understand it the programs were stored on punch cards in a storage facility near Dry Bones, NM and were discovered by a Troop of Boy Scouts doing a merit badge project involving the removal of several tons of old tires. One of the Scouts advisor's was a young man named Al, yes, our own Dippity Al. Al was intrigued by the cards and managed to track Sergi down through an exhaustive search of purchase receipts found with the cards. Sergi, now in his late 80's, helped Al transfer the programs onto a Commodore 64 computer in the early 90's. The program took on a life of it's own as other people such as Felix, Sundog, Carpetman, BruceB and the famous but missing Mad Mexican and Mouse joined into the hoax. Somehow, the program morphed itself into a crude form of artificial intelligence, sort of a "HAL" of "2001- A Space Odessy" fame, although without the malevolent streak. It transfered itself into a Word Perfect program and is now thought to be residing in Al Gores personal mainframe, hidden in a recipe folder.

Amazing isn't it? Yet every word is true. I guess we can only wonder what "Buckshot" will eventually become. Perhaps a program to find the cure for a dred disease, or a way to pick the winning Lotto numbers, who knows?

Glad I could help clear this up."

Latest word has it the "Buckshot" program is responsible nearly all of Joe Bidens gaffs, the incredible but puzzling popularity of "Hannah Montana" and the lack of good movies coming out of Hollywood. It's also thought that Nancy Pelosi is a hologram created by the Buckshot program since no one human being can be both that stupid and ugly at the same time. The other possible explanation is that while residing in Al Gores mainframe computer at the Gore Mansion the Buckshot program was corrupted by the same models Gore uses to somehow convince people that man made global warming is real while ignoring the rising temps on Mars and Neptune. Personally I'm very concerned, to use the words of Harry Reid, that Buckshot may well also in fact be GEORGE SOROS!!!! It all fits if you think about it!:shock:

MT Gianni
10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
I seen Buckshot onct n I kin tell you fellers he's real.

waksupi
10-31-2008, 10:59 AM
I think he is in Abilene, with O.D. Cleaver.

bradh
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Now the truth is coming out. All the energy used at Al Gores mansion in Tenn is being used
to cool down Als' mainframe which is running the "buckshot" program! Al Gore can never go
green as long as the program is in operation!

bradh
10-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Will Al Gores' mainframe be counting the votes out of Florida with the "buckshot program"
also running?? LOL

Bret4207
10-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Will Al Gores' mainframe be counting the votes out of Florida with the "buckshot program"
also running?? LOL

Where do you think the "hanging chads" originated? Recall the PUNCH CARDS Buckshot was originally stored on???!!! It all fits. Some times the easy answer IS the answer!

waksupi
10-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Are you saying Buckshot is easy?

VTDW
11-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Easy but with a big heart. Elder BuckShot does a fine job of machining little gadgets to help us with our sizing efforts and does so at prices that are just give away. Heck of a man IMHO.

Dave:lovebooli

SharpsShooter
11-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Easy but with a big heart. Elder BuckShot does a fine job of machining little gadgets to help us with our sizing efforts and does so at prices that are just give away. Heck of a man IMHO.

I agree. This is a better place due to folks like him.

SS

Buckshot
11-01-2008, 10:26 PM

.............Buy me a beer and I'll be your Huckleberry :-)

.............Buckshot

MakeMineA10mm
11-01-2008, 11:36 PM

Gee Buckshot - Add these two posts together, and I think they're callin' ya, cheap AND easy!?! [smilie=1:

Meatco1
11-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Rick (Buchshot) add's a great dimension to this site.

He does so much, for so many, so well, that it is hard to believe he does it all for so little!!

Thanks Rick!!

Richard

crowbeaner
11-03-2008, 12:54 PM
LOL. I thought everybody knew that Buckshot is actually the MULE in the photo, and the guy next to him is the handler. Thanks for clearing up the confusion, Bret!