PDA

View Full Version : Tru Line Jr. press and loading 45-70

Just Duke
10-29-2008, 07:45 AM
I am looking on getting a 310 tool for 45-70 as a back up. Also was wanting to know if the dies work in the Tru Line Jr. Press and how well do they work?
Is there enough leverage in the linkage to do 45-70?.
The TLJ would be a field back up for my press i.e. mounted in a 5th Wheel camper.
TIA,
Duke

45 2.1
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I have this set-up, but have never tried it out yet. Take into account that I do use the dies with the nutcracker 310 handles and it works pretty well as it only neck sizes the cases. The Tru-Line junior press has a lot more umph than the nutcracker handles will ever have. It should work fine provided you have a sturdy place to bolt the press to. The 310 dies should work fine provided the tool head is for the 310 dies, not 7/8x14 thread as per standard dies. If it is 7/8x14, you would have to have an adapter for each hole then.

Just Duke
10-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Can you still get primer pins or shell holders 45?
So no on loading 45-70 even with the compound linkage?

ktw
10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
There are two versions of the Trueline Jr Press - an older straight linkage version and a later compound linkage version. I think you'll be happier with the compound linkage model - it has more leverage.

You'll also want to evaluate the amount of room between the shellholder and the turret plate for the cartridge you plan to use. There isn't nearly as much working room here for the longer cartridges. I personally think these presses are perfectly sized for most handgun length cartridges but things tend to get a bit tight for any cartridge longer than 30-30. Your milage may vary.

Lyman still sells a shellholder adapter that fits in the Trueline Jr and AA presses that allows them to use regular shellholders. Keep in mind that this adapter slightly reduces the amount of working room between the shell holder and the turret plate (see paragraph two).

There is a market for shellholders, dies and presses on ebay and at gun shows. You can often find parts lurking in the darker corners of some of the older gun shops. The online, one stop shopping, clearinghouse for these items is the 310 Shop. http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

-ktw

Just Duke
10-29-2008, 08:54 AM
There are two versions of the Trueline Jr Press - an older straight linkage version and a later compound linkage version. I think you'll be happier with the compound linkage model - it has more leverage.

-ktw

Yes I was looking for a Tru-Line Jr with linkage with a box. I have found either or but not both.

StrawHat
10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I have and use a 310 nutcracker to load for my 45-70 and my 405 WCF. I also have dies for some revovler cartridges but I am not going to try to feed my revolvers with a tong tool unless there is no other option. My rifles need fewer rounds so I can tong for them.

As for the TruLine, sorry don't have one so I have no working knowledge there.

However, if the tong tool has sufficient leverage, would not a bench mounted press have sufficient leverage?

Just my thoughts.

floodgate
10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Duke:

Never actually done .45-70 on the Tru-Line Jr. (I have used the 310 on them), but the dies should work, especially if the T-L Jr. is the later model with the compound linkage. You'll either need a No. 17 "J" shellholder and a large priming punch, or the "J to X" shellholder adapter (for standard-type shellholders) and the longer "Special-T" priming punch set, both available from Lyman, Midway, etc.

The 310 set will work fine as a backup, and give you some of the flavor of what the "old timers" had to work with.

Floodgate

Echo
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Hmmm. I've never used the 310 or Tru-Line equipment, but have some thoughts.

IMHO, your best bet for the RV would be a Lee Hand tool, using regular 7/8x14 dies. All the power you need fairly compact, maybe not as handy as the turret press, but probably more compact than the Tru-Line.

My zwei pfennig...

Rick The 310 Shop guy
10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Duke, I have the priming punch (that's what Ideal called'em) in large and small. For bullet seating a 45-70 in the Tru-Line Jr. you miight have to postion the case/bullet in the die then slide the rim into the shell holder to make it go.....if that made any since at all. Once the bullet is seated the loaded round would slide out of the shell holder alike normal, even with a 500 grain bullet. With paper patched bullets seated way out that might be a different story. I have several press ($45.00) available but no boxes and 1, 4 die set of 45-70 with alloy handles ($130.00). but no steel handles unless I convert one for you. I use my Tru-Line all the time. take care, Rick, the310shop.com

Le Loup Solitaire
10-29-2008, 11:17 PM
310 tools and dies are handy and compact. They are also kind of slow, but you can take them anywhere. Trying to load a large quantity of rounds takes a while and is usually tiring. You will also develop a handshake that will be well known in the neighborhood. They neck size only, but the quality of the ammo is good; every bit as good as any other way of making ammo.. These dies are the same ones that are used in the Tru-Line Junior presses and the press is faster while it cuts down on the fatigue factor and can produce more rounds. The Tru-line Jr press was never a paragon of strength to begin with. For Heavier duty use, Lyman produced the All American which used 7/8 x 14 standard dies and afforded full length sizing. Presses of this type/design in that era had a fair amount of "spring". Nowadays they call it "flex" and that was avoided by those folks who objected to whatever you want to call it by using "O" type presses. There is a gentleman that sells a turret on E-bay that has holes in it that take 7/8X14 dies. It has a starting price of around $48. for persons desiring to load with standard dies on the Tru-line Jr. This press is a compact design and was a favorite of many reloaders for a long time. It will not perform heavier duty tasks like case (re)forming or swaging and attempting to use it for that will surely break some part of the press. One can load 45-70 with the 310 and of course with the Tru-line Jr. Naturally the larger the case/caliber the more effort is required to get the casing in and out of the dies. A version of the 310 was also made for loading the .348 Winchester...an even bigger case than the 45-70. Currently Lyman is still producing 310's and dies in some calibers. Relatively speaking they are a bit pricey. Another current source for all and everything 310 is on the net under "310 shop" and also is well known to/on this forum. They also sell original sets, dies and parts. LLS

Rick The 310 Shop guy
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Le Loup Solitaire, I'm hearing rumors that lyman is no longer producing 310 dies and are only selling what is left in inventory. Very sad if true. Great post. Take care, Rick

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I have five tru lines.I load 30/06 on one you need to start the bullet in die then the case.I also have all presses with one hole in 7/8,takes pistol carbide sizing
die.the presses were made to neck only on rifle.there was a "tru-line" bigger
and took 7/8 diies.never saw one only a picture.and the jr press with straight link may not have had many made but I have one.my tru lines are set fot 32 s&w and acp.I do have othere dies like 32/20/8 mm/308/243/257 roberts and 38/45/44.
I also can set mine with Lees powder measure.:coffee::coffeecom[smilie=1:

Tom-n8ies
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
There was a guy selling replacement turrets with 7/8 14 thread on e-bay for the tru line JR.
Lyman tru-line Junior turret press 7/8-14 die plate item #120339772955

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-tru-line-Junior-turret-press-7-8-14-die-plate_W0QQitemZ120339772955QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item120339772955&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

I think he makes them so if more people want one let him know.

45-70 cases take considerable force to full length size If you don't already have the truline jr you might want to consider the Lee Classic Turret.

tom

hydraulic
11-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I loaded .45-70 for my trapdoor with a 310 set, several years ago, and I never did resize the brass. I had just the one rifle and never had a problem. The 500 grain Lyman bullet, pan lubed, would slip right into the case and the seating die crimped the case. Come to think about it, my son-in-law had a Model 79 that would chamber the same cartridges I loaded for my Model 84. We shot up a lot of BP at our Co. A, 1st Infantry of Fort Randall shoots.

HeavyMetal
11-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Duke:
I got in touch with the guy that makes the 7/8-14 toolhead conversions for the tru line Jr. press. Made a deal to buy the 6 hole toolhead and am I glad I did!

Converting to 7/8-14 and getting six die stations instead of four has been a real winner! I also converted to the j to x shell holder and t primer punch. I still prime with my Lee hand primer but now, with the j to x adapter and the Lee shell holder kit I can reload just about anything with the tru line Jr.

I have been doing 30-30 on mine as well as several magnum pistol cartridges, carbide sure makes this press easy to use, so other than a little juggling on getting a boolit and case into the smaller opening the compound leverage should neck size your 45-70 case's with no problem!

Green Frog
11-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I have loaded .45-70 more than a little on both the 310 handles and the Tru-Line Jr press (using dies designated for the T-L Jr.) These latter dies are a little different from those made for the 310, but in a pinch the 310s would probably work. I really enjoy putting my T-L Jr on the loading bench at the range with a C-clamp or two and having guys come over and marvel... even more so using the 310 which a lot of current shooters have never seen! (LOL)

The previous posters who mentioned that you would have to tilt the cartridge to get it in (or manipulate the bullet into the die first, or some other strategy) are absolutely right, and the situation becomes worse if you lose range of throw by using the converter shell holder... don't do it if you can help it. You are neck sizing only and the seater/crimper die can be adjusted to just "kiss" the case mouth to close it, so brass, if used in one rifle, should give extremely long life.

Another option is to find one of the more rare but also very cool Red Head presses made my CC Johnson about the same time as the T-L Jr. It only has 3 die stations (but that's all you need) and may have just a little more space between shell holder face and the bottom of the head. They use these same small dies and have a guide rod for the head to ride down on, making a more rigid set up.

HTH~Froggie