PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 and Graphite

GregLaROCHE
07-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Today I was trying to see if I could get my Lyman 55 to throw 70 grains of black powder. I guess that’s why they call it 55. That’s near the max I could get. In doing so I unscrewed a piece from the threads. I couldn’t get them to restart, so I decided to take it apart.

I’ve had a 55 for over thirty years (not this one), but never took one apart. When it was apart, I thought a little lube couldn’t hurt. I opted for graphite and covered all parts before putting it back together. What a difference! It works so much smoother in all respects.

I urge everyone one who uses a Lyman 55 to consider taking it apart and putting some graphite on the parts. I can’t say how long it will last, but for the moment it’s amazing.

Shawlerbrook
07-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. The 55 seems to be the most prolific powder dropper around.

country gent
07-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Is you 55 a 2 slide or 3 slide model. My 3 slide will throw way over 70 grns of 1 1/2f old ensforde. I set mine with in 5 grains with the big slide Thumb screw lock and push pull. then the second slide I get with in 1 grain and the fine slide to final zero charge. I have used graphite and it does work good. I like moly disulfide powder a little better. ANother if you can find it is ptfe powder. I rub the later 2 into the surfaces with a rag or eraser.

GregLaROCHE
07-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Mine is only a two slide model. I was getting around 53 grains when I stopped and decided to do two times 35. I’ll have to check, maybe mine will do more.

country gent
07-18-2019, 12:17 PM
on the side of the drum thru the handle mount should be a thumb screw for the lard slide. Its the measuring drum with the 2 slides in it. It should have a scales on the side of it to rough set. This big slide setto within 5 grns then the second or medium slide set to within 1 grn and the fine to dead on works for me