PDA

View Full Version : Lee 379-250-rf?

j23
07-16-2019, 12:12 PM
I was going to start casting these for my "J.E.S." 38-55 to work up a load for this year's deer season.

What top punch should I be using in my Lyman Sizer?

gwpercle
07-16-2019, 12:26 PM
My solution to the ill fitting top punch situation is any boolit with a flat spot... (RF = round flat) is to use a flat top punch . A flat top punch and seating stem is a very easy solution to punch and stem profiles that don't quite fit... Lee makes none to go with their boolits and a close Lyman profile is only close never exact . Fill a cavity with epoxy putty , let harden and sand it dead flat...you got a top punch / seating stem that will work for any boolit with a flat spot on it , WC , SWC , RF , TC....truth be told I have even used them on some RN boolits in a pinch...worked just fine for all .
Gary

Texas by God
07-17-2019, 08:56 PM
I’m using a push through .377” sizer die( Thanks Traffer!) for my JES with the Lee bullet. I’ve tumble lubed them and they shoot good. I’ve loaded some pc’d but haven’t tried them yet.

DonH
07-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Find a top punch that is close or larger and degrease it, coat a bullet nose with JPW "release agent", put some JB Weld in the top punch and make your own custom nose punch. Start the bullet into the size die, put the punch with JB Into the ram, lower the punch onto the bullet nose until JB squeezes out and leave it there.
When the JB is set sufficiently to not decor, remove the punch and trim off the excess JB and let it finish during before use.
Probly takes longer to describe than to do. It works.