PDA

View Full Version : Contender..Encore...???

NSP64
10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
I was at a local shop tonight and they had a single shot that looked like a TC Contender, but it said Encore in 44mag. what are the differences.? I used to own a contender back in '86 It had a selector on the hammer to switch from center to rimfire, this one did not. does that mean the newer Encore can't use rimfire barrels?

BABore
10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
The T/C Encore is primarily a centerfire, but you can get it in a rimfire (I believe) that has an offset bbl/chamber. Biggest difference between the Contender an Encore is in frame strength. The Encore is much beefier and cartridge capable. The bbl stub is also larger in diameter. Encore triggers are not adjustable, nor as nice as the Contender, but can be tuned easy enough. A 44 mag, in an Encore frame, can (let's say) be coaxed to some real impressive velocities. A common denominator in most T/C chamberings is some more than healthy throating. Not always great for cast boolits. I'm not familiar with the 44 mag throating, so beware and take a close look at it before jumping in.

boommer
10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
It's center fire only and much heavier frame, 15 inch barrels thats about it. I have a Encore and my reason for buying it over the contender, little less recoil and better caliber choice like the 500 SW and I'll never use it for rimfire.

NSP64
10-28-2008, 11:38 PM
can it also be configured as a rifle? The guy wanted $480.00 for it.

Lloyd Smale
10-29-2008, 04:22 AM
yes rifle stocks and barrels are available.

lathesmith
10-29-2008, 06:44 PM
I have a rimfire barrel for my Encore and it is a tackdriver. It just uses an offset barrel, same forend, and you don't even really notice it. Mine also has a decent trigger, and hasn't been messed with. There is some variance here, check out the gun you are interested in to see what kind of trigger it has.
$480 is probably around the going rate for these in pistol configuration now. That's not really cheap, but it ain't 'way over the top, either.
lathesmith

Doc Highwall
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I have pistol barrels for the Encore in 6mmBR, 6.5mmBR, and 7mmBR. I have rifle barrels in 6.5mmBR and 7mmBR and a 12 gauge fully rifled barrel. They also make 50 caliber muzzle loader barrels. Yes I like them, my biggest complaint is changing them from a rifle to a pistol and back again. I would also like to see the comb on the rifle stock be about 3/4" higher for scopes.

ebner glocken
10-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Around a year ago I gave 310 for my encore ss frame thinking that sometime later I would make it a project. It still sits and when I get to it there will be a bbl of some kind on it.

Ebner

357maximum
10-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Got rimfire? certainly

http://www.bullberry.com/rimfire.html

I would never get rid of my encore "pistol" in 15 inch 357max from MGM , and as soon as some money breaks loose I will have a few more barrels for it.

NSP64
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
can any contender barrels fit the Encore or just barrels for Encores?

lathesmith
10-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Encore barrels fit Encores only, and Contender barrels fit Contenders only.
lathesmith

NSP64
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
was there a problem with the contender/G2 frames? and that is why they brought out the Encore frame. or is it just another way to keep selling the same product only different. I've been looking on gunbroker and don't want to buy a lemon.

Scrounger
11-01-2008, 09:20 PM
The Contender was designed 30-40 years ago and it was envisioned for cartridges like .22 Hornet, .32-20, .218 Bee, etc. Then they started thinking bigger, .221 Fireball, .357 Magnum, etc. Then experimenters went to things like the .44 Mag, .30-30, .223 Rem, etc. Some people pushed them farther than that, so the company figured they might as well design a bigger, stronger action, one that would safely handle .30-06, .300 Mag, .375 H&H, etc. They named that action the Encore. The G2 Contender is an improved Contender, designed to be a little stronger than the original Contender so their lawyers could sleep better at night. The Contender and G2 are for basically the same classes of cartridge and barrels are interchangeable. It all comes down to what calibers you intend to shoot in it. Best idea may be to get one Contender and one Encore, you can (with the proper barrel) shoot just about anything smaller than the .50 BMG.

C A Plater
11-02-2008, 09:04 AM
was there a problem with the contender/G2 frames? and that is why they brought out the Encore frame. or is it just another way to keep selling the same product only different. I've been looking on gunbroker and don't want to buy a lemon.

The only real problem is they quit making them. Encores are for much heavier calibers that one can safely put it a Contender frame. Many prefer the pre-G2 Contenders because you can get nice light, crisp triggers with a little work. The down side is that one cannot re-cock the hammer without breaking open the action. G2 does away with all that but the trigger can't be quite as nice as the older frames. G2s also come with IMO the best factory grip so far and I like the new forearm style. I personally like them both and will order me one of the color case hardened G2 frames real soon now.

James C. Snodgrass
11-02-2008, 09:13 AM
The G2 also opens so much easier my daughters couldn't open my old ones but the G2's are a breeze . If the trigger ain't what you want it to be Mike Belm sells spring kits and has a video to do the job . Good luck James[smilie=1:

dubber123
11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
The only real problem is they quit making them. Encores are for much heavier calibers that one can safely put it a Contender frame. Many prefer the pre-G2 Contenders because you can get nice light, crisp triggers with a little work. The down side is that one cannot re-cock the hammer without breaking open the action. G2 does away with all that but the trigger can't be quite as nice as the older frames. G2s also come with IMO the best factory grip so far and I like the new forearm style. I personally like them both and will order me one of the color case hardened G2 frames real soon now.

Color cased frames? Neat! Right from T/C, or where? I have a 6-1/2 50-70 G2. A CC'd frame would look great on that.

NSP64
11-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I remember hearing something about not being Legal to put the shoulder stock on the pistol barrels? The contender/g2 barrels interchange?

Scrounger
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Yes, they interchange. And don't believe that crap about it being illegal to put a carbine barrel and buttstock on what was formerly a pistol or vice versa. ATF ruled that ALL Encore and Contender actions (called 'frames') must be sold as a pistol; therefore it is not illegal to convert it to a rifle or vice versa. It is illegal to have a buttstock with a barrel less than 16 inches long.

NSP64
11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Good. I was watching a sale on gunbroker that was from a town near where I work, older contender, and wasn't sure if I bought older barrels(contender/G2) if they would fit. It's also nice to know I can have a 21" barreled pistol.:drinks:

C A Plater
11-03-2008, 01:37 AM
The Supreme Court settle the issue in favor of T/C much to the displeasure of the ATF. Any pistol, and all Contenders are MANUFACTURED as pistol, can be converted to a carbine and back again. Just don't leave the rifle stock on and mount a pistol barrel.

Color case hardened frames are available from the T/C Custom shop. http://www.tcarms.com/customShop/frames.php

dubber123
11-03-2008, 04:16 AM
The Supreme Court settle the issue in favor of T/C much to the displeasure of the ATF. Any pistol, and all Contenders are MANUFACTURED as pistol, can be converted to a carbine and back again. Just don't leave the rifle stock on and mount a pistol barrel.

Color case hardened frames are available from the T/C Custom shop. http://www.tcarms.com/customShop/frames.php

Thanks for the link, those CC'd frames look good!

NSP64
11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Picked up the Encore in 44mag today, targets to follow. Thanks to everyone for the info, I feel I made a well informed choice. :lovebooli