PDA

View Full Version : Explain how this works please

roysha
07-15-2019, 05:52 PM
This is described as a V. Schmidt reloading press and I have looked and looked and really can't figure out how it works. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means but usually I can figure things out, however, this has me stumped.

richhodg66
07-15-2019, 06:06 PM
I really don't think it's a reloading press. Maybe some other kind of specialized tool. Whatever it is, it is getting bid up quickly.

Pressman
07-15-2019, 06:30 PM
I apologize for removing the eBay link, the rules require it. But you can find it by searching for CV Schmidt Model 24.

This is the 2nd press design from Mr. Schmidt, the 1st is the Model 12 that is similar in design, though just half the size of the Model 24. Both presses use the same dies, and there are special, larger dies for the Model 24. Both 12 and 24 dies operate the same way. The 24 uses what Schmidt called "streetcar" operating handle. It is pulled from the left side and swings to the rear. The press has to be mounted horizontally on a sturdy bench. It is large, nearly 24 inches long and weighing about 30 pounds. It has an auto primer feed.
The dies attach to a carrier with the pins on the front of the frame, They lift up to insert and removes the case. This press with the Model 24 dies could resize a small rifle case full length.

Schmidt also made a dedicated full length sizing press and a monster, tall press with yet different dies that was capable of full length resizing.

The Schmidt presses were covered some years ago in the Journal. Contact me via pm for back issues.

Ken

roysha
07-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Pressman:

Thank you.

It must have been a VERY interesting and fun time in the infancy of reloading for some of these designs to see the light of day.

Pressman
07-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Roysha, I think you are correct. I am working on an article about tool development in decade of 1920. That is when it all got started, moving past the little hand tools of the black powder era.

The Schmidt tools are from that time period.

As a side note I had seen once that CV Schmidt was sometimes referred to as Captain Schmidt. Turns out he was a Captain in the army during the Great War, only it was the Kaiser's army.
He lived and worked in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Pressman
07-15-2019, 07:54 PM
The first picture is a complete Model 24 with a Model 12 seat die installed. Not the best pictures, I need to retake them, someday.

The second picture is Mr. Schmidt's massive sizing press, the Model 17. This thing weighs 72 pounds.

ShooterAZ
07-15-2019, 08:51 PM
That is some interesting history to say the least. I assume made of cast iron? Neat stuff.

LUBEDUDE
07-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Too bad that there appears to be few surviving Schmidt presses.

Buckshot
07-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Too bad that there appears to be few surviving Schmidt presses.

..............Probably because (IMHO) there probably weren't that many sold/made, as they're obviously expensive. We now live in a time where quite a large percentage of the population have at least a moderate amount of "Disposable" income. Up until the 1950's when the middle class (as we know it) actually began to have such a thing as "Extra Cash", money for the working stiff went for priority items. Also have to remember, money up until 1964 was actually WORTH SOMETHING :-).

..............Buckshot