PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 LA conversion to .223

Red Elk
07-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Help? Any of you wonderful gun gurus...how do I get this to work.
I have the .223 barrel, not big deal there. I have the .223 bolt face, again, a no brainer.
But how do I get the 110 LA to feed .223 properly?
I know that they used to make a 110 LA in .223, with a staggered feed internal magazine. But finding any parts for one seems to be very difficult. I would like to keep the rifle internal staggered feed if possible.
Can I use the exhisting magazine with a .223 follower and spring, and a spacer inside the magazine to move cartridge operations forward? Would the exhisting magazine have to have the magazine lips bent in?
Any advice or guruship would be welcome here.
I know about the cdi conversion, but I am trying to keep it internal feed for a sleek calling rifle type setup.
Please, help me out here guys (or gals).
re

Texas by God
07-15-2019, 05:31 PM
The factory parts would be worth tracking down. I had one and it fed and shot great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

country gent
07-15-2019, 06:15 PM
I think the bolt stop is different also shortens the bolt throw to the 223 length cartridge. A follower and block in the back of the mag to take up play and space will be needed also. Not sure if feed rails were any different. ANother route would be a simple trough ( single shot follower) and load single rounds

richhodg66
07-16-2019, 08:32 AM
My old Savage 110 in .223 is definitely a long action, I think Savage only made one length back then. Works fine and has always been a good shooter. No short bolt stop, it travels the full length back.