PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Wesson 686 no dash factory repair cost

Ramson222
07-14-2019, 08:03 PM
I recently inherited my dads Smith and wesson 686 no dash. He bought it new in 1983 according to my mom.

When I took possession, I noticed that the front sight did not line up with the rear. So I tried turning the barrel by hand, when by surprise it came completely loose. I have no idea how this could have happened. Maybe someone has a possible explanation.

Anyways, I sent the gun in to Smith and Wesson for repairs. They are charging me $208 for services.

$45 for range test and estimate
$90 for labor
$60 for tune and clean with oil

They are turning the barrel, re-cutting the forcing cone, setting the cylinder gap to factory spec, cleaning all lock work, tuning, oiling, function check and range testing.

Does this seem a reasonable amount of work and final fee just to fix a loose barrel? I was thinking they would just tighten it up and send it back. But then again I dont know much about handguns.

Boolit_Head
07-14-2019, 08:12 PM
I thought back in the day S&W had lifetime warranty on their pistols. I know they worked on my 686 and 1066 several times for free. I guess those warranties went the way of the dodo in today's economic climate.

Tatume
07-14-2019, 08:20 PM
This gun is too old to be included in the lifetime warranty. More modern guns are included in the lifetime warranty. The warranty did not "go the way of the dodo bird."

The price you were quoted is an outright bargain! Worth every penny and more.

Boolit_Head
07-14-2019, 08:38 PM
My 686 was from the mid 80's and was under the warranty. I wonder when they started it.

rcslotcar
07-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a poor job of assembly from the factory. They should have repaired their error without cost than maybe shipping.

Drm50
07-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Thing is you don't know what Dad did. I own and have owned a raft of S&W revolvers. I have yet to see one you could unscrew the barrel by hand, not that it couldn't happen. Maybe you dad had the barrel off to have it worked on. I don't keep S&Ws as new as 586-686 series but I've had many of them. If that gun had all those issues new it should have been corrected for free, in the day.

gnostic
07-14-2019, 10:00 PM
I called S&W a couple months back about replacing the hand, on my 1970 vintage model 28. As it turns out, the warranty was only one year...

9.3X62AL
07-14-2019, 10:14 PM
$208 for the listed services by the OEM maker is a stone bargain. If it was my gun, it and certified funds would already be enroute.

Ramson222
07-14-2019, 11:12 PM
$208 for the listed services by the OEM maker is a stone bargain. If it was my gun, it and certified funds would already be enroute.

It's already in the hand of Smith and Wesson, I am already going to have it repaired, just for the memories it's worth it.

onelight
07-15-2019, 12:33 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me.

NSB
07-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Often times repairs are made as "good will", and if it happens to you you're lucky. Even if SW had a lifetime warranty (they never did), it wouldn't go to the next owner like Leupold does with scopes. I've had handguns repaired for free and other times I paid. One time I bought a used SW 48 in .22mag. The original owner was a "shade tree gunsmith" and really butchered the gun up. You couldn't open the cylinder and he'd ruined the trigger on it...plus a few other cosmetic issues. SW put the gun back to an "As New" condition for seventy-eight bucks. Now that was over thirty years ago, so the cost of two hundred bucks is still a bargain. I've owned dozens of SW handguns and never, I repeat NEVER had a barrel come loose. I suspect Dad had a little influence in that regard.

murf205
07-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Your dad's 686 is one of those "keep in the family" guns and no matter what happened to it before, it will be well worth the $208 to put it back in serviceable condition. I dropped a model 28 out of a zippered case and it wouldn't open for love nor money so I sent it back to S&W and they charged me $140 to fix it. I wasn't going to "bubba smith" it and when I got it back it was better than before. You are fortunate to have you dads gun. When you get it back it will probably have an "M" stamped below the serial # to indicate the fix for cylinder binding--IF your dad had not sent it in before. It will not be noticeable other than the letter stamping.

Tatume
07-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Even if SW had a lifetime warranty (they never did), ...

They do.. Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989.

... it wouldn't go to the next owner like Leupold does with scopes.

Although they say "lifetime of the original owner," they have never asked me if I am the original owner. All they have ever asked for is the serial number. If the gun was made before the cut-off date, they send a pre-paid shipping label.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/warranty

Hickory
07-15-2019, 03:55 PM
I thought back in the day S&W had lifetime warranty on their pistols.

I think the life time warranty was for the life of the original owner.

Tatume
07-15-2019, 04:11 PM
I think the life time warranty was for the life of the original owner.

Although they say "lifetime of the original owner," they have never asked me if I am the original owner. All they have ever asked for is the serial number. If the gun was made before the cut-off date, they send a pre-paid shipping label.

osteodoc08
07-15-2019, 06:46 PM
I’d happily pay S&W and enjoy the heirloom for decades to come.

Ramson222
07-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Im happy with the deal, just was not sure all that work was needed. I'm eagerly waiting to get it back in my hands.

curioushooter
07-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Lifetime warranty applies to firearms 1989 and later if I recall. Anyway, that is a bargain for the top notch work they do. Any gunsmith that COULD do that work (not many) would charge far more.

Tatume
07-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Lifetime warranty applies to firearms 1989 and later if I recall. Anyway, that is a bargain for the top notch work they do. Any gunsmith that COULD do that work (not many) would charge far more.

Petrol & Powder
07-19-2019, 10:15 PM
As most others have said:
1. That gun was not covered under a lifetime warranty
2. The prices quoted for that work are a bargain
3. Send it in and have that work done.

Ramson222
09-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Well, I got it back and it's just perfect. Looks like they even reamed all the chambers to match. I'm very happy.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-16-2019, 09:09 PM
congrats let us know how she shoots

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Well, I got it back and it's just perfect. Looks like they even reamed all the chambers to match. I'm very happy.

Awesome !

You now have a new again L-frame S&W. In fact, you may have a better than new S&W.

bluelund79
09-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Thanks for coming back and reporting a follow up. Sounds like S&W did a lot for the $200. Yet another reason why they’re a favorite of mine. Enjoy the heirloom!

alamogunr
09-17-2019, 10:38 AM
I sent a 1911 back to Kimber for repair of a problem that I caused. No question of warranty. They essentially replaced the barrel and bushing, inspected the entire gun for any further damage and test fired the gun and returned it to me. The total cost including my cost to ship it to them was $335. You got a bargain.

Life Member
09-21-2019, 05:18 PM
I don't think they will send your gun back still needing something. The price sounds ok to me. Not every shade tree gunsmith can work on a revolver.

M-Tecs
09-21-2019, 05:51 PM
I don't think they will send your gun back still needing something. The price sounds ok to me. Not every shade tree gunsmith can work on a revolver.

First that is a good price on the repair so I would not have an issue with that.

Second they will send it back unrepaired. They will want an inspection fee minimum. A couple of years ago I called on a double action issue on a Smith 469 that I purchased for $175. The tech I talked to claimed the inspection would be free, however, once in hand they wanted $75 for the inspection plus an additional $175 for repair. I said no to this repair since the part was available for $25. They wanted $75 to send it back. Again I said no since I was told it would be free. They said I had to pay for the inspection and their tech was wrong. After about three months the sent it back no charge and not repaired.

alamogunr
09-21-2019, 05:56 PM
First that is a good price on the repair so I would not have an issue with that.

Second they will send it back unrepaired. They will want an inspection fee minimum. A couple of years ago I called on a double action issue on a Smith 469 that I purchased for $175. The tech I talked to claimed the inspection would be free, however, once in hand they wanted $75 for the inspection plus an additional $175 for repair. I said no to this repair since the part was available for $25. They wanted $75 to send it back. Again I said no since I was told it would be free. They said I had to pay for the inspection and their tech was wrong. After about three months the sent it back no charge and not repaired.

I was under the impression that he already had the gun in hand, repaired.

I don't blame you for not letting them repair the gun and not paying the ransom,

M-Tecs
09-21-2019, 06:10 PM
I was under the impression that he already had the gun in hand, repaired.

I don't blame you for not letting them repair the gun and not paying the ransom,

Yep

I was commenting on the post that they won't send it back without repair.