PDA

View Full Version : Percussion cap hunting question

brewer12345
07-14-2019, 06:46 PM
I will be chasing elk this fall with a 54 cal percussion cap sidelock (TC grey hawk). Obviously one would need to have the powder, patch, ball, etc. already in the rifle. When do you add the percussion cap? Right before taking the shot? Given the light triggers on both my smoke poles, I would have to think that walking around with the cap on could be asking for trouble.

FrontierMuzzleloading
07-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Once I drive to my hunting area and get out, I cap and start my hike. You're on half cock which is basically our safety.

brewer12345
07-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

Hickory
07-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Once I drive to my hunting area and get out, I cap and start my hike. You're on half cock which is basically our safety.

This is the way to do it.
Plus, I'd use a small bit of castbullet lube to waterproof the cap.
Just press it around the cap & nipple with your fingers.

07-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Same here. In Maryland, it's not a loaded gun (for DNR purposes) if the nipple is bare. Make a decision about your particular rifle. Is it safe on "safety". If so, cap up when you hit the field.

pietro
07-14-2019, 09:13 PM

I cap my percussion rifles, add a plastic cap guard (which seals the cap between nipple body & cap edge from moisture) if rain is expected; then place a piece of leather between the (carefully lowered hammer and the cap (the leather will fall away when the gun is cocked.

Here's my raingear - A few cap seals & muzzle overcoats...……

https://www.pcsoutdoors.com/images/products/detail/a1330.JPG

Here's the leather nipple guard..... (the thong isn't used when hunting, just for storage)

https://i.imgur.com/nvRWMg5l.jpg

indian joe
07-14-2019, 10:07 PM

this !!

charlie b
07-15-2019, 10:01 PM
There used to be a small brass cup that would fit over the nipple, then the hammer was rested on it. Kinda like the leather idea above but stronger. It also served as a rain guard of sorts, but, I added those plastic rings as well. I haven't seen them in years but a 3/8" or so copper pipe cap should work. May have to trim it a bit in length.

stubshaft
07-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Same thing but I use plain old beeswax.

wgr
07-16-2019, 04:40 PM
There used to be a small brass cup that would fit over the nipple, then the hammer was rested on it. Kinda like the leather idea above but stronger. It also served as a rain guard of sorts, but, I added those plastic rings as well. I haven't seen them in years but a 3/8" or so copper pipe cap should work. May have to trim it a bit in length.use a spent 22 brass

Fly
07-16-2019, 05:19 PM
I use bees wax also. Never had a misfire in wet weather.

Fly

Boerrancher
07-16-2019, 07:46 PM
A bit a beeswax has kept my 32 running on those early morning squirrel hunts where the dew was so thick you thought it was raining.

hc18flyer
07-16-2019, 08:04 PM
I made a 'cows knee' to cover my flintlock in wet weather, but it is awesome for a cap lock to! I cap and carry on halfcock, like the leather idea. If I take a cap off of a loaded rifle, I lower the hammer on a folded patch. hc18flyer

megasupermagnum
07-16-2019, 08:46 PM
I don't like using half cock as a safety, but walking with a rifle in hands I have little problem with it. If carrying on a sling, then no, I take the cap off. I do as many others do. After loading, I tape the muzzle off, I use electrical tape usually. I also use a small piece for the nipple. For the cap, I bend them ever so slightly so they stay on nice a snug, and use the tiniest bit of ear wax as I can to seal on the nipple. I've hunted in some real downpours and the rifle or shotgun went bang when the time came.

I have never hunted elk, but I'm going to assume it depends on how you are hunting. If walking through woods, I would definitely have the rifle in my hands and capped. If just walking around an spotting, then I would take the cap off and sling it on my shoulder. The difference being when it's in my hands, I have complete control over the muzzle, and it shouldn't be unsafe even if the hammer was cocked.

brewer12345
07-16-2019, 10:30 PM
Heh, rain while hunting, what a crazy idea! Barring a freak weather event, I am a lot more worried about my shot starting a forest fire than getting damp during the local muzzleloader season. I am still very happy to hear all of these ideas, since you never know.

scattershot
07-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Sandwich bag for a cow’s knee, or a .32 auto case to fit over the nipple. Dry weather, I carry capped on half cock.

FrontierMuzzleloading
07-16-2019, 10:55 PM
if you hunt out west and go hunting mule deer or elk without a cap on your rifle, you may as well stay home because you wont have the to fiddle to cap and then try to take aim and shoot.

Anschutz
07-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Heh, rain while hunting, what a crazy idea! Barring a freak weather event, I am a lot more worried about my shot starting a forest fire than getting damp during the local muzzleloader season. I am still very happy to hear all of these ideas, since you never know.

Brewer, you can rip a fart and start a fire out here so that's a valid worry.

megasupermagnum
07-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Brewer, you can rip a fart and start a fire out here so that's a valid worry.

Is that still the case this year? Here is has been so wet, there is widespread flooding. This is the first time I have ever not been able to plant in the garden out back. I think the longest we went without rain so far this year is 6 days back in June, and at day 6 I dug a hole in the garden, and the hole filled right up with water. Any time it rains it is standing water. We had a ton of snow this winter, and when it melted in April, my shooting range flooded. It was not reopened until last week, July 6th. It is still standing water in most of it. The shotgun range doesn't matter, luckily the rifle range is just a mud (water is an instant closure, due to ricochet concerns). If we haven't/wont set rainfall records this year, I can't even imagine what it would take. It's not just sprinkling, we are getting 1"+ rainstorms all the time. I swear there was not a 24 hour period in all of May without rain.

Anschutz
07-17-2019, 08:23 PM
Is that still the case this year? Here is has been so wet, there is widespread flooding. This is the first time I have ever not been able to plant in the garden out back. I think the longest we went without rain so far this year is 6 days back in June, and at day 6 I dug a hole in the garden, and the hole filled right up with water. Any time it rains it is standing water. We had a ton of snow this winter, and when it melted in April, my shooting range flooded. It was not reopened until last week, July 6th. It is still standing water in most of it. The shotgun range doesn't matter, luckily the rifle range is just a mud (water is an instant closure, due to ricochet concerns). If we haven't/wont set rainfall records this year, I can't even imagine what it would take. It's not just sprinkling, we are getting 1"+ rainstorms all the time. I swear there was not a 24 hour period in all of May without rain.There has been a lot of rain and snowmelt so hopefully not the case and the previously burned areas will have lots of forage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

triggerhappy243
07-17-2019, 08:24 PM
if you hunt out west and go hunting mule deer or elk without a cap on your rifle, you may as well stay home because you wont have the to fiddle to cap and then try to take aim and shoot.

not entirely true.

FrontierMuzzleloading
07-17-2019, 08:34 PM
hunt my area, you'll become a believer.

triggerhappy243
07-18-2019, 05:18 AM
hunt my area, you'll become a believer.

i did. i have hunted all over northern n.m. and if you hunt in big timber, those huge trees are perfect to hide behind and load a cap.

arcticap
07-18-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm a believer in keeping the hammer at half-cock.
If the hammer isn't at 1/2 cock then when using the cap cover or leather pad there's a possibility of the hammer getting snagged,
lifting it off the cover and letting the cover fall away which allows the hammer to fall on to the cap in the process of it getting snagged.
I guess the bad part of using the 1/2 cock is that both the trigger and the hammer can get snagged at the same time.
But at least if the hammer is on 1/2 cock, the chance of the hammer falling without the trigger being pulled are lessened than if it weren't on 1/2 cock.
One needs to remember that the 1/2 cock is not a safety, and even if it were it is still prone to fail as any mechanical safety can.
IMO the best safety is to control the muzzle at all times by keeping it pointed in a safe direction, in conjunction with using the 1/2 cock.

mullthing
07-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Half cock for me, but do like some of these other ideas.

Conditor22
07-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Started muzzleloading in Asia, we used a large-cap (from sheet caps) and foil to keep the cap on and dry. we had a rubber band tied to a toothpaste tube cap as the safety. Lift the hammer and the rubber band pulled the toothpaste tube cap away and you could fire. We tied a plastic bag over the barrel (with a rubber band) and yanked it off to shoot.

IF the cap doesn't want to stay on, pinch it slightly and it will stay on the nipple better.

fastdadio
07-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Started muzzleloading in Asia, we used a large-cap (from sheet caps) and foil to keep the cap on and dry. we had a rubber band tied to a toothpaste tube cap as the safety. Lift the hammer and the rubber band pulled the toothpaste tube cap away and you could fire. We tied a plastic bag over the barrel (with a rubber band) and yanked it off to shoot.

IF the cap doesn't want to stay on, pinch it slightly and it will stay on the nipple better.

I like the toothpaste cap idea. I use a disposable foam ear plug. Cut one in half, and set it on the cap. Gently lower the hammer down onto it. They usually just fall off when I cock the hammer, but if not, a quick flick of the thumb and they drop off. I think there is enough cushion there to keep the gun from firing if it were to get hit or dropped.

Cheeto303
07-21-2019, 09:09 PM

I cap my percussion rifles, add a plastic cap guard (which seals the cap between nipple body & cap edge from moisture) if rain is expected; then place a piece of leather between the (carefully lowered hammer and the cap (the leather will fall away when the gun is cocked.

Here's the leather nipple guard..... (the thong isn't used when hunting, just for storage)

Where did you find those tiny condoms ?

pietro
07-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Muzzle rain guards (aka: medical finger protectors):

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/muzzleloading-rain-gear-a1330

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-rubber-finger-protectors-30ct-prodid-310269?skuid=310269

Nipple rain guards:

http://www.octobercountry.com/cap-guards/

quilbilly
07-22-2019, 01:39 PM

I swear by the cap guards with my Grey Hawk 50. I have been hunting in the rain and even the worst of our monsoons on the Olympic Peninsula for 30 years. Because shooting with a well greased patched PRB that seals the bore, I have not seen the need for the condoms as long at the bore is pointed down. I have left the load and the cap guard on for several days with nary a misfire even when it has rained 3-7 inches of rain per day. What also helps is hunting in a heavy duty poncho rather than a rain suit to keep the action drier.

megasupermagnum
07-22-2019, 05:56 PM
50% of the reason I use tape over the muzzle is to keep stuff out. I tape all my hunting guns, not just muzzleloaders. Mud is one thing, just don't drop the rifle. Dragging through prairie grass, cattails, or other thick brush, you never know what might find it's way down the tube.

brewer12345
07-22-2019, 06:54 PM
Well, I got a muzzleloading deer tag in the leftover draw, so that will make two hunts with a front stuffer. The place I will be able to chase deer will involve wading across a river if I want to access a material part of the property, so I will have to pay attention to all these precautions after all. It will be interesting if I have to haul a carcass back across the river...

pietro
07-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Well, I got a muzzleloading deer tag in the leftover draw, so that will make two hunts with a front stuffer.

The place I will be able to chase deer will involve wading across a river if I want to access a material part of the property, so I will have to pay attention to all these precautions after all.

It will be interesting if I have to haul a carcass back across the river...

Float the carcass across...…………. BT, DT - NTS.

Just stick a couple of large balloons (un-inflated) in your pocket B 4 hunting.

Then, if you get a deer, field dress the deer, insert balloons inside the body cavity & inflate them as much as possible - then ensure they stay inside with some cord/rope wrapped around the body.

triggerhappy243
07-22-2019, 09:22 PM

Then, if you get a deer, field dress the deer, insert balloons inside the body cavity & inflate them as much as possible - then ensure they stay inside with some cord/rope wrapped around the body.

Or........... Or pre-stage an inflatable raft on the other side of the river cover it with brush to hide it. use gps locator to locate it when you needed it.

brewer12345
07-22-2019, 09:53 PM

I do wonder. Is it total disaster if the carcass is in the water as I drag it across? Was actually wondering if that was an option if the weather is hot.

triggerhappy243
07-22-2019, 10:55 PM
I do wonder. Is it total disaster if the carcass is in the water as I drag it across? Was actually wondering if that was an option if the weather is hot.

possible bacteria in the water.

brewer12345
07-22-2019, 11:50 PM

Yeah. A doe I could probably haul across shallow water on my back if need be and October shouldn't be too hot. My elk tag is for mid September. At modest elevations it could be pretty hot. The Platte will be nearby and was wondering if a dunk might be a good idea. Ditto a pronghorn in October with a full canal nearby.

luvtn
07-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Drugstores have the “tiny condoms”. They call them fingercots. Or buy a box of disposable gloves and cut off a finger.
luvtn

oconeedan
07-25-2019, 05:08 PM

at a drug store for tiny men.:bigsmyl2:

other tips, clean bore with alcohol, dry, then fire a cap only before loading.
i am also a fan of real black powder. i have had a hang fire on first shot with prodex. real bp is faster.

pietro
07-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Common sense tells us to rinse any meat with clean running water (from a known source), if a contamination is suspected...………………..