PDA

View Full Version : Gas check stuck in case.

Elroy
07-14-2019, 02:21 PM
I was seating some bullets last night,and about halfway through the batch one seated too deep.It seems the nose was blunter than the rest. I pulled the bullet,but the copper gas check is down near the bottom of the neck.Is there any harm in just shooting it out?,or should I just ditch it?..

tmanbuckhunter
07-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Do you have a kinetic puller?

Elroy
07-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Yes,Thats how I pulled the bullet,and when I went to dump the powder there was none.I have never had a squib before,but for a minute I was thinking I had loaded one.I am not used to cast bullets,and had forgot about the check..I did give it a few hard licks with the kinetic puller,but quit thinking the check doesn't have enough weight .

JCherry
07-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Elroy,

Best thing is with some sort of thin probe push one side of the gas check until it is side ways in the neck and then with a very long, slim, needle nosed pliers etc. pull the gas check out. If the gas check falls into the case that is not really a problem just empty the powder out and continue to pull it out with the needle nose pliers. I have never gotten a kinetic puller to get a gas check out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Elroy
07-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I am weird about brass ,and I don't know why .I just hate to loose one.I can have one thats been fired several times roll of the table when I'm shooting,and will spend way more time than it's worth looking for it until I find it.

UKShootist
07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Elroy,

Best thing is with some sort of thin probe push one side of the gas check until it is side ways in the neck and then with a very long, slim, needle nosed pliers etc. pull the gas check out. If the gas check falls into the case that is not really a problem just empty the powder out and continue to pull it out with the needle nose pliers. I have never gotten a kinetic puller to get a gas check out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

What he says! :goodpost:

3leggedturtle
07-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I am weird about brass ,and I don't know why .I just hate to loose one.I can have one thats been fired several times roll of the table when I'm shooting,and will spend way more time than it's worth looking for it until I find it.
I had a 25/20 case pop out a bullet puller once and fell between the slats of the deck and into the leaves.... I spent 45 minutes removing leaf by leaf into a 5 gallon bucket until i found it.

I had a gascheck stuck so bad in old 44 mag reloads i was breaking down, that i had to punch thru it with an ice pick and put a screw into, to pull it out.

gwpercle
07-14-2019, 05:22 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one who is "funny" about brass .
I wont leave the range until I have at least as many cases as I went with and will not be happy untill I can pick up at least 50 - 100 extra.... and it doesn't matter what caliber , just as long as I leave with more than I came .
Gary

tmanbuckhunter
07-14-2019, 06:01 PM
The only way I am particular about brass is that I want all my cases to be fired the same number of times.

Bazoo
07-14-2019, 06:48 PM
The way I use to get a gas check out if a casing is poke it with a punch to get it sideways, then hook it with a paper clip that has a small hook bent on the end.

I will look a good half hour for a casing, then mark the spot and come back later and look. Got a 30-30 in the yard that I lost the other day. I keep my brass in lots with times fired and load used.

WRideout
07-15-2019, 08:35 AM
The way I use to get a gas check out if a casing is poke it with a punch to get it sideways, then hook it with a paper clip that has a small hook bent on the end.

I will look a good half hour for a casing, then mark the spot and come back later and look. Got a 30-30 in the yard that I lost the other day. I keep my brass in lots with times fired and load used.

That is what I do. Any stiff wire or paper clip; put a bend in the end small enough to get in the case mouth. Turn case upside down, stick hook in and turn while withdrawing. It usually pops them right out.
Wayne

dondiego
07-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Chamber it in the rifle and pull the trigger, it'll come out and the brass will be fine.

waksupi
07-15-2019, 11:29 AM
I keep a set of hemostats at the bench for this.

Kraschenbirn
07-15-2019, 12:03 PM
I keep a set of hemostats at the bench for this.

Yup!:smile:

MostlyLeverGuns
07-16-2019, 03:22 PM
A slender needle nose pliers should get it.

Elroy
07-16-2019, 08:32 PM
I dont have hemostats,and nothing I tried would reach it,so I squeezed the neck using finger pressure just enough to oval shape it a hair,and it fell right out..Thanks everyone.

Land Owner
07-16-2019, 10:40 PM
I dont have hemostats,and nothing I tried would reach it,so I squeezed the neck using finger pressure just enough to oval shape it a hair,and it fell right out..Thanks everyone.

^^^^That^^^^

Necessity. The mother of invention.

trapper9260
07-17-2019, 08:50 AM
A slender needle nose pliers should get it.

This is what I always use when that happened. Works good .

Sig556r
07-17-2019, 09:35 AM
I would've seat another boolit, crimp & shoot...

beagle
07-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Elroy's got the right idea. I've done hundreds over the years. Oval it and the check will fall out. No harm do as you'll have to at least neck size it to reload anyway./beagle

Winger Ed.
07-18-2019, 10:08 PM
+ one on that. Very gently squeeze the neck out of round, it should drop out.

David2011
07-18-2019, 11:17 PM
Check out alligator hemostats. They’re designed to go deep into places and only open at the end.

You’re not the only one that hates to lose brass. I spend stupid amounts of time on one piece at times. I can have 1500 pieces of easily replaced pistol brass in front of me and I’ll still spend 2 to 5 minutes salvaging one piece.

kungfustyle
07-19-2019, 12:18 AM
Use a nail. Turn the case neck down and shake till the gas check can be seen. Insert a nail head up and it will fish out of the brass. You loose the gc but save the brass.

tankgunner59
07-19-2019, 10:48 PM
I have a set of small pliers with a pair of long needle nose. I also have a straight pick in my pick set and I use it to push the GC in slightly so I can dump the powder. When the powder is out I shake the GC down to the neck and reach in with the long needle nose piers and grab it and pull it out. Might take a few minutes but it works real good for me.

GregLaROCHE
07-20-2019, 02:28 AM
I have a case with a GC stuck in it. It’s been sitting on my table for six months. I always thought I would just shoot it out, but have never gotten around to it. I may try some of these ideas first now.

Elroy
07-20-2019, 08:01 AM
I have a case with a GC stuck in it. It’s been sitting on my table for six months. I always thought I would just shoot it out, but have never gotten around to it. I may try some of these ideas first now.

Well you have plenty of good methods to choose from..I appreciate all the good advice from all you folks..