PDA

View Full Version : Half Moon Club

Petander
07-13-2019, 02:31 PM
Are you a member? I got my Half Moon Club membership today:

I got a TC Encore 308 for trial, after rough zeroing I drove to a longer range. Started shooting a group from bags,the fifth round flew the action open,swinging the rifle to my face and the Karl Kaps scope permanently marked my forehead.

I'm 56 and have fired like half a million rounds from a bench. I though this won't happen anymore but well... I'm in the club now.

One stich only. After Doc, I drove back to the range to see my group and it was not a good group at all. I left some clays on the berm and will go kill them tomorrow with a Normal Rifle. My first time shooting an Encore probably became my last time,too. Better stick to what I know.

Walks
07-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

First Time T/C Shooters often "crawl up" the scope. I think the Encore makes it worse, because of the increased recoil.

It's often hard to get a good sight picture from a Pistol Scope, until you get used to the idea. Using a low powered scope makes it easier. I learned on a 2X Bushnell, made it a lot simpler to upgrade to a 2.5X8 Powered Scope.
Don't give up.

jcren
07-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Got mine a few years ago. Sighting in my sons Rossi 243 on a table that was too low for me. Talk about embarrassing... I had already warned him twice not to crowd the scope.

country gent
07-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Have see that cut several times. Told a friend showing me a rifle the scope need moved forward a little. He said He'd try it like it was first. First shot he was bleeding and a cut over his eye. Ruger Number 1 in 30-06. Hit him pretty hard. Ive seen cuts from 338 win mags that were really nasty ( remember the "mountain rifle" craze years ago) Light rifles in heavy calibers are a sure biter

Petander
07-13-2019, 03:10 PM
This is a short barrel rifle, has a rifle stock & rifle scope.

Action opening when firing is not good...

Minerat
07-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Got mine in 68 when I was 15 and crowded the scope on a friends dads 300 win mag that I shot on a dare. Have loved the hard kickers every since.

Tom W.
07-13-2019, 11:37 PM
A young boy wanted to shoot my scoped .454 Encore pistol. I didn't have anything but some heavy .45 Colt loads. I asked his father who was standing next to him if he thought the boy could handle it. Dad said yes, so I loaded a round and told the kid that the eye relief on a pistol scope was different than a rifle, and he needed to hold the pistol at arm's length. Dad said that he had a rifle and could shoot quite well. I looked and the kid had the scope entirely too close to his face. I told him again and he pushed the pistol out a ways. I turned my head to say something to his dad, turned back and the kid had the scope almost touching his face. Before I could say anything the fired the round and quickly handed me the pistol. There was a lot of blood coming from his eyebrow. His dad just laughed and dug out a handkerchief.

It took a while to dig all of meat, hair and blood from the scope....

owejia
07-14-2019, 08:18 AM
TomW some of that kinetic learning experience that some people use when they don't believe what you tell them.

Wayne Smith
07-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Mine was just a few years ago - the 500S&W barrel on my Encore. Scope came off that barrel and went on another! Open sights work for that - it's a short range thumper anyway.

MostlyLeverGuns
07-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Did you get that while wearing glasses/shooting glasses? My broad brim hat and mandatory glasses have taken some recoil hits but saved me from cuts. The eyeglasses protect as well as correct, why I never went for Lasix.

Petander
07-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Did you get that while wearing glasses/shooting glasses?

Me? Yes,I had proper shooting glasses on. Because the action violently opened during firing, the stock fell from the rear bag and hit the table causing the scope hit higher than usual. Figure how an open rifle pivots backwards.

I'm lucky it hit high... no idea where the brass went.

slim1836
07-14-2019, 11:05 AM

That's what I received when I got scoped

Slim

obssd1958
07-14-2019, 12:23 PM
---- Because the action violently opened during firing -----

Seems like most of the responders are missing this bit of info. Any idea what broke, or is broken, to cause the action to open??
Glad you weren't hurt worse!

Elroy
07-14-2019, 01:22 PM
I personally have not drew blood,but several years back the Governor at the time ,Bob Wise half mooned himself on the local news as he was lining up his gun for deer season.

Petander
07-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Seems like most of the responders are missing this bit of info. Any idea what broke, or is broken, to cause the action to open??
Glad you weren't hurt worse!

Thank you,yes I was lucky.

When the action opens like that you lose all the support from the falling stock. The scope could have hit anywhere...

I was only test driving the gun,it will go back to the shop tomorrow. Google found out this is not the only TC that opens up when it's fired. I lost my interest - but the scope is a keeper.

Land Owner
07-14-2019, 03:48 PM
...and here I thought this thread was about hanging one half of one's derriere out to Half Moon someone else.

bikerbeans
07-14-2019, 03:48 PM
I ain"t say saying nothing cause i am in double digits on Weaver Bites.

BB

RED BEAR
07-14-2019, 04:29 PM
I did this once with a 444. And learn a lession. Fortunately it was the only time for me.

lightman
07-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Ha, I thought this was going to be about shooting 45 ACP revolvers! LOL! But yes, I'm also a member of that club. As are my Wife, a Son, and a few friends. I never got stitches but thinking back on it, I probably should have.

Tom W.
07-14-2019, 09:32 PM
My .270 NEF used to come open. I think it was because I wasn't paying attention to my handloads and failed to measure the brass a few times. That was one rifle that needed that cases trimmed every time.

I still can't remember what happened to it........

Boerrancher
07-14-2019, 10:07 PM
I earned mine zeroing my 7mmRUM. After that incident I sent it to my smith to have a break installed. Now it is a pleasure to shoot.

richhodg66
07-14-2019, 10:18 PM
I've done this twice. Once while zeroing a scoped 12 gauge slug gun, then again years later with a Remington 700 in .35 Whelen.

I have become rather recoil averse the past few years. The heavy recoil in unnecessary for anything I am likely to ever do, so it is highly unlikely to happen to me again.

Petander
07-15-2019, 02:42 PM
I took the gun back. We had some coffee and talk.

I can keep the Karl Kaps scope "for indefinite testing period". Fair enough,it has my DNA now.

Smoke4320
07-15-2019, 02:54 PM
yes with a Serbu 50 BMG shooting off hand ( gun about 22 lbs with scope) my knees buckled and I almost went to the ground. Got claps and cheers all around.
Had my Idiot cut for weeks :)

Texas by God
07-15-2019, 04:14 PM
8mm Remington Magnum and .300 Weatherby are the only ones that made me bleed. The hard & fast kickers are the worst. Surprisingly the .338, 358, .375 and .458 magnums never got me and I'd still shoot them- just not like I used to!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DougGuy
07-15-2019, 04:41 PM
I took the gun back. We had some coffee and talk.

I can keep the Karl Kaps scope "for indefinite testing period". Fair enough,it has my DNA now.

Ahhhh the infamous "Order Of The Scarlet Crescent" I see. This has eluded me as I am equipped with a judicious amount of foresight, tempered with watching others who weren't so gifted earn theirs....

Petander
07-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Ahhhh the infamous "Order Of The Scarlet Crescent" I see. This has eluded me as I am equipped with a judicious amount of foresight, tempered with watching others who weren't so gifted earn theirs....

My foresight was reasonable,I thought I was given a working firearm to test. So did the shop,although they had never fired it. They thought it was ok.

Instead being ok the Encore action violently opens up when it's being fired... the stock jumps down,falls from your shoulder and the rest jump at you...

Petander
07-17-2019, 04:21 PM
I've been practising like a madman to make sure I didn't get a flinch/fear/whatsoever shooting problem from the incident.

All is going good,45-70 was breaking clays on the berm @ 75 m as usual with Hi Tek coated RCBS 325 @ 1900 fps.

lead-1
07-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Got a friend that put a rifle scope on a 12 ga. 870, someone else sighted in the shotgun for him and come deer season opening day he drew down on a buck and "POW" right in the eyeball. He was tucked in behind a tree and some brush so he thought a tree branch got him when he moved with the deer, later that day another deer came thru and sure enough "POW", the second one brought blood. He no longer believes in scopes on shotguns.

Tripplebeards
07-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Got mine sighting in a friends 300 win mag with a cheap optic he mounted way to far back. Only one. i learned not to shoot other people’s optic mounted guns that I didn't set up after that.