PDA

View Full Version : Help the LEO's

Mr Peabody
07-13-2019, 09:58 AM
A man I worked with went Deer hunting last fall he hunts about 200 miles from home. I bumped into him at a local store yesterday and asked how it went. Not to well it seems. Someone broke into his pickup and stole a rifle. He was livid. When he spoke to the local Deputies about it they asked for a serial number. He couldn't provide one. They told him it's pretty hard to do much about it when you can't identify it. There's a great many Remington 700 ADL's in 30-06 hunting everyday.
I mentioned taking the time to write your serial numbers down on the back of a business card and keep it in your wallet. I usually take 3 sometimes 4 firearms with me on a hunt that far from home. I don't carry them all at once. So there's a chance someone can steal them where I've stored them. I do write down the serial numbers on a piece of paper and keep it in my wallet. At least try to CYA.

JBinMN
07-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Good advice.

Thanks for sharing.

marlin39a
07-13-2019, 10:04 AM
I use Gun Log SPC, from the Apple ITunes Store. I have the program on my PC, and on my IPhone. I have all my firearms information available to me at all times.

lightman
07-13-2019, 12:10 PM
I use Gun Log SPC, from the Apple ITunes Store. I have the program on my PC, and on my IPhone. I have all my firearms information available to me at all times.

Thats a good idea. I have never heard of that. I keep a master list of mine at home, stored in 2 different places. With a phone call and a few minutes I could have mine.

Mr Peabody
07-13-2019, 12:13 PM
most of the mountains in Idaho don't have cell service

marlin39a
07-13-2019, 12:21 PM
most of the mountains in Idaho don't have cell service

It's a free standing app. Stores the data on your phone. No cell service, no problem.

Beerd
07-13-2019, 01:20 PM
or type up a list and e-mail yourself a copy.

6bg6ga
07-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Why do people have to steal anyway?

Daveco
07-13-2019, 01:25 PM
I have started just taking a few pictures of each new to me firearm, making sure to get a close-up of the serial number and then emailing them to myself and saving them in the appropriate folders on multiple devices. I also make sure to not delete the emails just in case.

nicholst55
07-14-2019, 12:44 AM
Why do people have to steal anyway?

They're either too lazy to work, or they need money for drugs, in my experience.

knifemaker
07-14-2019, 03:15 AM
During my 30 years in law enforcement, I lost count on how many stolen firearms I recovered due to the victim taking time to record make, model, caliber, and serial number. That information goes into a state and nation wide computer that any cop can access. On a drug raid I located 28 firearms stored in a hallway corner of a drug dealer's home. I knew everyone was a stolen firearm that the drug dealer took in as money for dope. Of those 28 firearms, I was only able to confirm that 4 was stolen and was returned to the lawful owner. The other 24 was not in the computer system due to the owners failing to provide the needed information to the officer that took their stolen firearm report.

buckwheatpaul
07-14-2019, 07:38 AM
Good advice.

Thanks for sharing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great Advice

45workhorse
07-14-2019, 08:34 AM
You should write down the serial numbers, and save them, but...….

If not, at least be able to describe, the weapon. It has a scratches on the left side from crossing a fence, dent from my son dropping it, etc.... This information should be in the report. So when I go to the pawn shop, I can look at the report and say that rifle third from the left matches what I have written down on this report!!!!! We all know every detail about our rifles/pistols, put it in the report, DETAILS matter!!!!

Can't stand a damn thief.:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

LUBEDUDE
07-14-2019, 09:31 AM
I had a stolen shotgun returned to me by the Dallas police a few years after it was reported. Sure enough, a drug dealer had it.

snowwolfe
07-14-2019, 09:58 AM
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...stops-n1028991

Four hours ago.

It took over a 1000 hours of work to uncover this guy's misdeeds. How many more are out there, doing this and not getting caught?

Quote:
During most of these stops, the deputy would turn off his body camera and “tailor his recordings to conceal his criminal activity,” authorities said.
Quote:
A former Florida sheriff's deputy was arrested Wednesday after authorities alleged he planted drugs and falsely charged dozens of innocent motorists after pulling them over under the guise of a minor traffic stop.

Jackson County Deputy Zachary Wester was taken into custody in Crawfordville, about 20 miles south of Tallahassee, after a yearlong investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement revealed that he frequently stopped drivers for minor traffic infractions and then covertly planted methamphetamine and other drugs in their vehicles while conducting a search, authorities said in a statement.
Quote:
After “finding” the drugs, he would pin motorists with bogus criminal charges and arrest them.

Wester’s actions led prosecutors to drop charges in almost 120 cases that occurred between 2016 and 2018, including one man who lost custody of his daughter as a result of the false arrest.

In October 2017, Benjamin Bowling was falsely charged and arrested by Wester for possessing methamphetamine while driving to the store to pick up diapers, according to the arrest warrant. Florida's child welfare agency had recently awarded Bowling custody of his daughter after being released from prison on a DUI conviction, but as a result of the false arrest, he lost custody of the child.

"There is no question that Wester's crimes were deliberate and that his actions put innocent people in jail," FDLE Pensacola Assistant Special Agent in Charge Chris Williams said in a statement.

Daveco
07-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Snowwolfe:
That is sickening and maddening beyond belief. I wonder if this sleaze was the only member of the force that was able to "locate" drugs in traffic stops with such stellar results? Was busting drivers for possession at routine traffic stops such a common thing that his supposed success just blended in or was he the star of the show at awards time for his abilities? Dishonest people like this that are in public positions of power and authority deserve more punishment than simply rotting in jail and paying restitution can extract from them.

snowwolfe
07-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Daveco,
Who knows??? Plenty of good LEO's that deserve our support but then you always have a bad apple in the bunch. But the bad apples seem to be increasing and that makes me very nervous.

RED BEAR
07-14-2019, 01:54 PM
I just take a picture of all my guns and use serial# as photo name. Will also list any identifying marks then i put data on cd .i keep one under the mat in a tool box one in each gun safe i also have every sales slip on every gun i bought. With copies on each cd. I had a break in back in the 80's and this is how i got some back. Some came back from all the way across the state.

flyingmonkey35
07-14-2019, 02:20 PM
photos are worth a 1k words

and you can back it all up on the cloud for free.

I challenge all of you to take 3 photos of each firearm today and back it up to the cloud.

one of each side and the serial number.

free Google account or Microsoft.

or backup to a thumbdrive whatever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

km101
07-14-2019, 03:30 PM
I have an app called My Arms Cache that I really like. You can input your complete description plus multiple photos. All info is stored on my phone and PC, no internet required.

I started using this app after my car was broken into and my “car gun” was stolen. I was able to go to my FFL and get the necessary information but it required an hour of search time to retrieve the hard copy of the 4473. Now I have the info on my phone, iPad and pc, plus it’s password protected. Easy access to the info you need for an insurance claim or a police report.

kenton
07-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Daveco,
Who knows??? Plenty of good LEO's that deserve our support but then you always have a bad apple in the bunch. But the bad apples seem to be increasing and that makes me very nervous.

When ever I hear people say most cops are good there are just a few "Bad Apples". I wonder if they remember where that expression that comes from.

"A bad apple spoils the barrel."

owejia
07-15-2019, 07:46 AM
I keep a real picture of my firearms with sn wrote on the back stored in my lock box at my bank. Any thing electronically stored can be lost, or hacked. I also keep all my other important papers there also. Not very likely to be lost stored in a bank vault.

Sig556r
07-15-2019, 08:05 AM
I keep copies of receipts (some store ones fade in time) & BoS and log (xls) all firearms S/N including those I sold/traded & diy built. This provides me a quick inventory & also helps in tracking in case theft or tragedy (fire/tornado/etc.)...

AlaskaMike
07-15-2019, 02:38 PM
It's not just firearms you should keep detailed records on, it's anything of any value to you. If you value it and it has a serial number, write it down and keep it somewhere safe, whatever "safe" means to you.

Heirloom furniture, jewelry, nice tools--dopers are always in the market for all that kind of stuff, not just firearms.

Thin Man
07-18-2019, 06:38 AM
For the hunter whose firearm was stolen during a hunt, it would have been handy to have the serial number with you when out on a hunt. Beyond that, let's hope you have it recorded at home. Just as soon as you get back home call in that number to the LEO who took the report to have it added to the original report and also entered into the NCIC stolen firearm database. The sooner it gets into the national database the better your odds are of getting it back. During my LEO service we occasionally encountered stolen firearms that had been reported AWOL as much as 35-40 years back. The game then was in trying to locate the original owner, and in some instances their heir.