PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1858, "round ball" rammer?

Newtire
07-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Just had my first chance to take my Uberti target style .36 revolter to the range. Upon seating the ball, I couldn't help but notice that the tip of the rammer wasn't even close to being a fit for the .375" round ball. It does match up nicely with the Lee conical nose profile but would prefer to use round balls. The Pietta I have has a nose profile that fits the round ball perfectly. Of course Murphey made sure these 2- replicas are different in so many ways that I doubt if any of the parts interchange. Does anyone know where I can get ahold of a rammer tip for a Uberti with a round ball contour?

toot
07-13-2019, 09:35 AM
try UBERTI?

LIMPINGJ
07-13-2019, 10:31 AM
A little JB Weld or something similar on the existing rammer should make a custom fit. Don’t know about how long it will hold up.

Wayne Smith
07-13-2019, 01:47 PM
I believe I read that the Colt rammer was optimized for the conical bullet.

Pigboat
07-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Could you coat some of your round balls with lapping compound and use them to reshape your ramming rod? Would be slow but it might work.

arcticap
07-13-2019, 11:52 PM
Why not purchase an inexpensive loading press and load the cylinder off the frame altogether?

Newtire
07-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Why not purchase an inexpensive loading press and load the cylinder off the frame altogether?

Good thought Arctic but just wanted something that was a part of the gun with nothing extra to forget back at home when I go to the range. Range supplies nearly fill the back of my vehicle as it is and I have been known to forget things once in awhile:oops:

Newtire
07-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Could you coat some of your round balls with lapping compound and use them to reshape your ramming rod? Would be slow but it might work.
Guess I could try something along those lines, thanks!

Newtire
07-14-2019, 08:36 AM
I believe I read that the Colt rammer was optimized for the conical bullet.

Anyone know of one for a round ball in a .36 for a Remington?

Newtire
07-14-2019, 08:38 AM
A little JB Weld or something similar on the existing rammer should make a custom fit. Don’t know about how long it will hold up.

Probably a good idea, like you can do with a nose punch for a mould.

Newtire
07-14-2019, 08:40 AM
try UBERTI?

Now, that would just be too sensible and easy...will try that next, thanks!

Battis
07-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Just curious - what happens to the roundball when you seat it? Does it deform, does the rammer cut into the ball, etc?

Newtire
07-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Just curious - what happens to the roundball when you seat it? Does it deform, does the rammer cut into the ball, etc?
It cuts into the ball big time and distorts it bad.

RichardB
07-14-2019, 12:23 PM
try a smaller ball?

Gtek
07-14-2019, 12:24 PM
A quick check on Taylor's website, a new plunger is $20. Put in lathe and cut radius and one screw done.

stubshaft
07-15-2019, 12:28 AM

I did this and it has lasted for over 18 years in my Uberti.

bedbugbilly
07-15-2019, 06:17 PM
So . . . how does you're revolver shoot with balls seated by the stock rammer?

I have owned revolvers over the years where the end of the rammer was square - they still shot just fine. If it's that big of a deal in terms of ball deforming and you are only going to shoot round balls, remove your rammer, build it up with weld and turn it down to the profile you need/want.

I have a number of molds that cast original style conicals and the nose gets a little deformed when seating - shoot just fine. The suggestion to use JB will also work. The thing to remember is that the originals were not designed to be "target" revovers - they were designed to be used as a combat weapon where the important thing was to get the projectile seated - and in those days, both round balls and conicals were used.

I'm assuming hat your revolver is one with adjustable sights and is the one designed for target shooting with a different bore made just for target shooting. For the price of them, I'm surprised that they don't come with interchangeable rammers - one for RB and one for conical but then there are a lot of different conical desggs out there.

Good Cheer
07-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Remember to grease the ball when molding the epoxy to fill in the rammer.

KCSO
07-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Pull it out and use a dremel round ball stone to slowly shape it for round ball.

missionary5155
07-17-2019, 03:59 AM
Good morning
Yes do check your diameters. You may have overly tight cylinders (well used reamers).
I have shot ML revolvers many years. My dad shot original Remingtons. And from what I have seen for just plain fun shooting that "circle" deformation will not be much of an issue. But do check the diameters of the cylinders and pure lead balls.
If you are going to shoot competition then you do want everything as perfect as possible.. But I have yet heard a critter complain or a corn can gripe about a circle scared ball smacking it.
Mike in Peru

Gray Fox
07-17-2019, 01:07 PM
You have the direct opposite problem of many Pietta '58 owners who want to use conical bullets. Their solution has been to go to VTI gun parts and order an Uberti plunger and swap it out for their Pietta one. They all said they fit fine and they just remove the one screw, swap the parts and put the screw back in. I'll bet if you visit the '58 Remington.com website, introduce yourself as a new shooter, explain your situation, and offer to swap plungers that all it will cost you is postage each way. I hope this helps. GF

TheOutlawKid
07-17-2019, 07:24 PM
I use pietta 1851/1861 .36 calibers and i always switch out the plungers with uberti plungers due to shooting conicals and need a pplunger that doesnt distort the tip of the bullet. They are exact fits on the 1861 models but the 1851 uberti models are a hair thicker so you need to sand the body of the pietta slightly so that the plunget slides in....not much sanding is needed at all, you can sand down the plunger instead but then you remove the color case hardening. Im not sure if its the same for remingtons but its worth a try. Although the JB weld option will work just as well in this case of going from a conical plunger to round ball plunger.

charlie b
07-20-2019, 07:39 PM
My old Navy Arms Remy (1977) had one of those rams. It did affect accuracy out past 50yd. I used a round dremel tool to make it round. After that I could get paper plate size groups at 100yd.