PDA

View Full Version : bonanza co-ax--Help!

pbbutz
10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I just inherited this press from my sister's late husband. Can you give me an idea on how this thing works? Do the dies slip into the slots? Do the die rings need to be a certain manufacturer's? Does this press produce more accurate rounds than other means?

Anybody have a source for printed manufacturer's instruction sheet? I have used 2 RCBS Jr 2's since 1968 and will use this one if I can figure it out and if it is worth the hassle of changing my routine. Maybe not if I have to buy new rings for all my dies.

Thanks,
Butz

HeavyMetal
10-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Here's the deal:You Scored!

The Co-Ax press is one of the best out there. Yes you will need either Bonanza Rings or have some one make a "custom" set for you. It's not a diameter thing it's the thickness of the rings that counts here, 7/8-14 is standard thread, so I made my own rings before I sold my Co-Ax.

The idea is you set up the dies with the correct rings and then never have to change them! You just snap the die in and out as you change seater to sizer or from 38 spec to 44 mag.

Cool part of this press is the "universal" shell holder! It will work with most of the average rounds on the market I think 45-70 rim is to big and Hornet to small but everything else works fine! You can buy a second set of "sliders"? for the shells the stock set up won't fit if you need it!

Scrounger
10-28-2008, 09:49 PM
In recent years most die manufacturers have made their rings to work in the Co-ax, try yours before hitting the panic button. If they don't work, Lee sells their rings cheap and you can buy enough to replace all your rings for way less than the cost of a set of dies.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=334374&t=11082005

Bent Ramrod
10-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Some rings fit and some don't. Most all of my RCBS rings slip right in. The "Co-Ax" wobble/equalization might be better with Bonanza rings but it isn't fully defeated even when the rings are a little tighter. I don't notice any huge advantage in accuracy on ammunition loaded on this press vs. my RCBS.

Set the rings so the jaws press firmly on the sizing die when the shell holder is all the way up. Turn the vertical screw with the pointy end until the jaws close fully on your shell when the shell holder goes up 1/4" or so, but are fully open when the shell holder is all the way down. Other dies (neck expanding, seating, etc) are set similarly to their settings in other reloading presses, i.e, slightly high if no crimp is needed, down further if one is, etc.

You can get a manual, spare parts, and the extra jaws from Forster Products, 310 E. Lanark Ave, Lanark IL 61046 (815) 493-6360. It's a great press if you have a loading room in the house because all the spent primers go into the little jar; no chance of the odd one popping out onto the floor.

dromia
10-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Here's the link to Forster who do the press now:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/press.htm

Jon K
10-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I use Forster rings/ Redding rings/ Old style RCBS rings in mine.
I love mine, just snap in dies when you want to change, and never need to reset, unless you change boolit style. I use the shellholder adapter also......never got used to the springs in the other.

Jon

pbbutz
10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Here's the link to Forster who do the press now:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/press.htm

Thanks, what I was looking for! Thanks for all the comments.

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 06:39 PM
once in while check the primer tube like all others it catches once in a while.I made a second pin to replace the one in the press to change the lift for pistol cart.shortens the stroke. all my nuts work you just have to push them in and the detent ball will hold the die.that is one mother of a strong press.:coffee:[smilie=1: